Trouble rooting...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Charcoal_Mantis, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Charcoal_Mantis

Charcoal_Mantis New Member

Hey all, I am perusing a few guides on how to root the droid and have run across a small issue. Every time I boot the phone in safe to attempt to run the update.zip it gives me an error. I believe this is from the update.zip not being in my SD card's "root file" which I initially believed to be the main window that opens when I access the card as a mass storage device.

Can anyone tell me what exactly I am doing wrong or where the actual SD card "root" folder is so I can do the damn thing?:icon_ banana:

Thanks in advance!
  2. ashkev843

ashkev843 New Member

the root of you sdcard is what you have described. it is the main window that opens when you mount the sdcard. Use Astro and check the file name of your update sometimes it will save as update.zip.zip. If this is the case just rename it using astro. if not you might have a corrupt update.zip file and you might just need to download a new one.
  3. dork5002002

dork5002002 New Member

root of a sd card just means the top folder. It usually is the first window you get if you double click on a drive to view it. should read [drive letter]:\ when you click in the location bar at the top of explorer when in windows.
  4. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    /sdcard is the root of the drive.

You can also get an error if you are trying to install a ROM without using SP recovery. You don't need SP installed to root the phone only, but if you are trying to use, say, Bugless Beast update.zip, you will need to have SP installed to do so or it will give you an error.
  5. Charcoal_Mantis

Ok it is in the right spot but still not running the update.zip.

I have it in there as a zipped directory; should I just directly extract from winzip to the root folder on my SD or leave it as a zip file?

I doubt the file is corrupted as I have re-downloaded it and it is from rootyourdroid.info...

Any input would be great.
  6. dork5002002

dork5002002 New Member

You should leave it as a zip file, and could you tell us exactly what the error is.
  7. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

1) What is the exact error you are getting?

2) Did you make sure the file is not named update.zip.zip? If you have "hide file extensions for known file types" checked but name the file update.zip it is technically re-naming it update.zip.zip because when you hit rename with "hide file extensions for known file types" turned on, you are only renaming the first part of the *.zip file (where star is what you are editing).

3) Are you trying to JUST root or are you trying to install a ROM? As I said, if you are trying to install, for example, Bugless Beast with update.zip, but aren't already rooted, it won't work, because you need to have sprecovery installed to do that. But if you are just trying to root, and only root (gain superuser permissions), you can use update.zip without the sprecovery program.
  8. Charcoal_Mantis

I renamed it "update" rather than "update.zip"...just realized my file extensions weren't displaying on my other root folders so it was probably tacking an extra .zip on there as suggested before.

Working just fine now, rooted and ready to slap BB on there. Thanks for the input guys!

(don't worry, I'm following the BB for noobs thread in here so I shouldn't be able to do TOO much damage) :icon_ banana:
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

You'll be fine. It seems more complicated than it really is.
  10. Charcoal_Mantis

Now if I could only get terminal emulator to stop FCing on me the second it opens I should be just fine :icon_eek: