Trouble replacing a system app

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by georgiadog3, Nov 2, 2010.

1. georgiadog3

georgiadog3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I run a custom rom but the Gmail app won't update. How do I switch to one that will update from the market?

2. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola XT1103 (Nexus 6)
    I've had that problem, too. Try using either SUFBS or Root explorer and find the gmail app (probably Gmail.apk within /system/app) and rename it to Gmail.bak. Then reboot the phone and try again.

good luck

3. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    For any app that is included as part of the rom, updates from the market generally won’t install. This is because they are in system/app, and are designated as read only (unless, like some roms, there is a mechanism that allows system apps to be moved to data to allow for updates). If you really want the updated app, and don’t want to wait for an update to the rom, you can accomplish it in one of three ways.

the easiest way is thru root explorer. go into system/app, and then click the "mount r/w" button (to change the system files from read only to read/write). then find the app, long press on it, and then hit "delete" (or rename it to [name of app].bak. then push the "mount ro" button to change back to read only, exit out of root explorer and then reboot (this is important to get the change in system apps to "take.") when you boot back up, you should be able to install the app from the mkt, with the update.

the second avenue is thru Terminal Emulator. type in:

su
    sysrw
    rm /system/app/[name of app].apk
    sysro
    reboot

again, it's necessary to actually type in "reboot" and enter, to get the change to take.

finally, you can go into the rom zip file, manually delete/remove the app, and then reflash the newly configured rom zip file w/o the system app. then you should be able to dl the updated app from the market.

Word of warning: if you are running a theme, the themed app is for the version that is contained in the rom. If you delete the app in system, and then update from the market, you will lose the “theming”. But, you may be able to go into the theme zip file, extract the app icon, and replace it on your updated app.

4. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    husker, if I may so humbly point out one tiny little thing. This is mainly for those who come along to read this thread later. The terminal commands above:

sysrw
    -and-
    sysro

should be substituted with:

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    -and-
    mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

(or some other variation of the full mount command) as "sysrw" and "sysro" are scripts included by some but not all developers in their roms to shortcut the full mount command(s).

5. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    you don't need to "humbly" point out my shortcomings - no one else does... ;)

thanks for the tip!! :)

6. georgiadog3

georgiadog3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First off thank you for the assistance. Unfortunately it didn't work. I tried it with root explorer and using the terminal commands. And other than renaming the app or just deleting it, it did nothing at all. I still can't update Gmail. I even tried to rename Gmail.apk and copy over another version into system and that didn't work either. Second I have checked my post numerous times throughout the day as I am unemployed, I have the time. i just figured with nothing intelligent to say other than thank you for your advice but it didn't work. I would keep my comments to my self and see if anyone else had any other ideas. I am on this site more than a Facebook'er. Trying to learn as much as possible. I have figured out most everything else on my own through reading on here but I am still at a loss as to how to change out this app for one that will update.

7. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    georgiadog, you are making sure you reboot after renaming/deleting the app, right? Other than that, try also going to menu -> settings -> applications -> manage apps -> select the 'all' tab at the top and clear data and cache for the market (Vending.apk).

Hope that works. I have had to do some convoluted stuff to get my apps updated myself, especially since I am using a very outdated theme, so I have to theme the apps myself and then get them back on the phone (easy part) and working (hard part).

good luck

p.s. and husker, I try to be as polite sometimes as I can, to make up for the many other times when I find that I haven't.

Search tags for this page
android can i manually rename system apk
cannot replace system app in android
cannot replace system apps in android
cant replace app android
cant replace system androi d
how to replace a system app

how to replace system apps after root

rename system app .bak
replace system app
replace updated apps from system with data