Trouble Installing ROMS and Themes

OP
K

kdub5985

Reaction score
Could the problem be that for some reason my mac is automatically extracting the zip files? So I have to manually recompress them. I wouldn't think this would cause it but at this point who knows. Also what is the best way to unroot if at some point I need to?

I think i'm going to save this for another day. Its getting late.

Thanks for all your help on this!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
eg70o7.png

You want to pick the second option then the third. If at that point you're STILL getting blocked SD installs with a rooted ROM then there is something SERIOUSLY fishy going on at the moment. :)

OP
K

kdub5985

Reaction score
Oh I just selected the 3rd one. Not the 2nd one first. Ill give it a shot in the morning! Thanks!

TheJeenyus

Reaction score
yeah your mac is uncompressing the .zip, Go into Safari general pref. and uncheck the "open safe files after downloading"

OP
K

kdub5985

Reaction score
I tried downloading the file directly to the phone. And I still wasn't able to install it.

What is the best way to go back to stock droid? I'm thinking unroot, wipe and start fresh.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Without the ability to install ROMs you have to choices -- ADB/RSD Lite (both windows only) or boot a Linux live CD on your Mac and either use SBFFlash or a terminal to push files.

I'd recommend you find a friend willing to let you use their computer and use RSD Lite (which can be finicky but when it works WORKS) to SBF back to stock, root it again, and start over.

OP
K

kdub5985

Reaction score
So no really easy way to go stock unless i borrow a pc it sounds like unfortunately.

OP
K

kdub5985

Reaction score
Is there anyway to bypass clockwork to load the stock update?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
OP
K

kdub5985

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot. Is this the same process as trying to install a update.zip custom ROM?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's a standard update.zip install. :) If you have stock recovery, here are the instructions for a manual update.

1. Download that file
2. Place file on the root of your SD card.
3. Power your phone off.
4. Boot into recovery (Hold Power + X).
5. Wait for a triangle with an exclamation point to appear. Release the power button and X key.
6. Press the volume up and camera button at the same time.
7. Using the d-pad (the square thing next to the keyboard) select “apply update.zip” and press the middle of the d-pad (gold-looking button).
8. Your phone will now attempt to install the update.
9. When it finishes, use the d-pad to select “reboot phone”.

Yeah, they're simplistic, but that was written originally for a guide for total n00bs to do the FRG22D and FRG01B updates. :)

OP
K

kdub5985

Reaction score
How do I get it to boot to stock recovery not clockwork or SPRecovery?

OP
K

kdub5985

Reaction score
Well I'm officially back to stock FRG83D. I don't know if this is what caused my problems but everything was working fine root wise until I installed the 2.2.1 FRG83D ROM. After that I was unable to install ROMs and Themes. Now I am finding problems trying to root FRG83D. n4root isn't doing the job and I haven't been able to find an option that works. I tried to go back to stock 2.2 FRG22D, but I wasn't able to. Any ideas on how to root FRG83D or get back to stock FRG22D so I can root from there?