Trouble installing framework-res.apk

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by acidcore, Feb 4, 2010.

1. acidcore

acidcore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have my phone rooted, I have pulled off the framework-res.apk file and changed a few images maybe like 12 total. I rezip the apk and then I change it back to framework-res.apk then I use the autosign.bat tool i downloaded to resign the app. I then use adb to try and push the framework back onto my phone into /system/framework/ and I get permission denied. am I doing something wrong? I also have tried an install with adb install framework-res.apk and i get this..

C:\androidsdk\tools>adb install C:/androidsdk/pulledapps/framework-res/framework-res.apk

1931 KB/s (2348096 bytes in 1.187s)
    pkg: /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]

C:\androidsdk\tools>

I have been trying for a couple days all kinds of things to get my framework file altered and I just can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. vpshockwave

vpshockwave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is how I do it. Make sure you've got your old one backed up.

adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock4 /system
    dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk

When you do these commands, you're replacing a file in use, and android doesn't like that so it'll auto-reboot, but its the way I've always used. Also the if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk just refers to wherever your framework is (this assumes it's on the root of the sdcard).

3. acidcore

acidcore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok now i got the framework on you definitely made me understand what I was doing wrong. However, now when I reboot the phone i get no service and all my apps are being force closed... any ideas??

Note: If you attempt this and you can't figure out what to do don't panic! This happened to me and I thought my phone was gone but i went and got a micro sd reader from target for $6 downloaded a stock update.zip for droid 2.0.1 loaded onto my sd card put it back in my phone rebooted in recovery mode and applied update.zip and woohoo it went back to normal I didn't lose anything! Just a note incase someone reads this and tries to replace their framework-res.apk and this happens to them.

4. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I get the force closing thing sometimes. You have to be careful what you are changing. Everything has to be the same size as the original .png image and has to be in the .png format. Generally try not to mess with any of the .9 files because they have to be changed using eclipse or something or they will not work properly.

5. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and if you are using adb I always just push the file over. Boot the phone into recovery mode and then go to the mount menu and mount the system. Make sure you move the framework-res.apk into your tools folder and then type this in the command prompt
    adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework

6. acidcore

acidcore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for al lthe help I figured out how to put framework-res.apk on the phone now but i just don't know how to edit my images correctly. What is the ideal graphic editor to use to edit and save them to the correct size? I was using Corel Paint Shop Pro but apparently it doesn't save the .png to the correct format. I mean it saves it to .png but i was reading somewhere it has to be a PNG8 file? Any help would be wonderful. I just loaded a framework-res.apk and the file sizes and image sizes definitely differentiate from the stock ones that come on the droid so now I am all confuzzled lol.

7. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Another easy way to edit your framework-res is using Metamorph from the market. There is also an easy to follow video on youtube.

8. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    helpful video. thanks for posting it

9. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think if they are close in size it will work. I always just use gimp for my edits. I haven't had problems with it. The only thing I have had issuse with is messing with any file that had .9 in it's title. Some of them you can change, but some of them it will really screw up things when you push them back over. It really can mess things up if you are changing things on one of the system apps. Which things are you trying to change?

10. blake2050

blake2050 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my advice.

1. I use fireworks mx to edit the .png files, its great. (and FYI it doesnt need to be the exact same size)

2. If you have winzip installed then just use that to delete the files you want to replace and then just add the new ones. (changing back to .apk of course)

3. Do NOT do any kind of signing to the apk it will be fine without it.

4. Use this method to put back on phone:
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox cp -R /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
    reboot

You should be good to go...

11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SPRECOVERY INSTALLED!

Just sayin'

messing with your framework file is a good way to brick the phone, or at least make it a REAL pain to recover. If you have the recovery console, anything you do can be un-done easily.

12. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    these instructions work for me every time:

make sure its renamed framework-res.apk and copy it to the root of your sdcard

adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox cp -R /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
    reboot

13. acidcore

acidcore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    better late than never but I figured out what was wrong when opening them in PSP for some reason it really messes up the actual png file so what I did was export them all to Paint and just resave them then I opened them up in PSP edited them and put them on the phone and it worked fine. I guess the moral o the story is PSP is bad for opening up framework icons lol

14. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem. I use to create update.zip files to toss my new designed framework on my phone and it worked great. I now have carefully edited a metamorph to make it my own. After applying it (it seems to skip the framework-res for some reason) everything looks great and works just as always, but the framework is still super important. I then re-metamorph but only apply the framework, restart.

Now, I think it must be something in my framework-res that is messing up my phone. I will open almost any regular phone app like Calendar, ROM Manager, Market... and they all force close right away without even opening. At this point then I cannot do ANYTHING on my phone pretty much. I can get into the camera, but then when I slide it to video-camera it force closes... Do you think I edited a png in my framework badly or something?

Right now I am slowly changing the framework, adding a few at a time and seeing if it crashes out. From what I have seen it has to be the framework-res file because when everyhting else if applied it works flawlessly.

15. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you thank you thank you.
    Finally. I got the icons in the bar I wanted.

Search tags for this page
framework res apk install
how to install framework on android
how to install framework res apk
how to install framework res to phone

how to install framework-res.apk

how to replace framework-res.apk
install framework adb
install framework apk
install framework apk manager
install framework-res.apk using adb