Triumph?

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by Chelsea.00, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Chelsea.00

Chelsea.00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So my contracts up wit vzw, I decided im going to go to Virgin Mobile?! I saw at the end of July their getting a new android, Motorola triumph, ...which sounds perfect for me! I did some research on it, well as much as I could. And it sounds like a pretty decent phone, yeah its not 4G but it still looks nice and on a prepaid service, which im having to switch to. It pretty much has everything I wanted in a new phone when I was going to upgrade, without 4G that Is...but still can't beat a nice phone on prepaid! ...has anyone else heard anything else about it? anyone have any thoughts on it?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

2. tuffD1

tuffD1 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Considering it too.

3. patmw123

patmw123 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    It sure looks like a solid device. Especially for Virgin Mobille.

4. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Just got one yesterday - some Best Buys have them now. It's nice and solid, and rootable with Gingerbreak (at your own risk). So far I'm very happy with it. It's comparable to the X in size - slightly larger than the thin part of the X, but no "hump" at the top. It runs about as smooth as the X as well, so far anyway. It supposedly does true HDMI mirroring (haven't used it yet), unlike the X, and has a front facing camera as well. Obviously Virgin's network isn't as good as Verizon's, but it's good enough in my area. And for $25/month ($35 soon), it's pretty unbeatable.

Plus it's Vanilla Android... very refreshing!

5. HamDog

HamDog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How did you get one already???? I went to Best Buy today and they have them in stock, but can't sell them until July 19. They wouldn't sell me one. I had to reserve mine. In the meantime, I bought a cheap Virgin Mobile phone to lock in the $25/month rate which is going up on July 19. I wanted to get grandfathered in.

6. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I just called and asked and they pulled it out before I got there, so it was waiting in customer service when I got there. Others have been able to do the same, yet others have run into what you did as well. Kind of a crap shoot...

Sent from my Motorola Triumph

7. HamDog

HamDog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I called another Best Buy last night and they told me yes! So I picked one up and was able to activate it today. Works great so far, but I haven't fully tested it yet.

It does have a cheesy kind of feel to it though. Too much plastic. I have the original Droid and my girlfriend has the EVO and both of those have a much better heavy duty feel to them. But heck, for $299, I guess they had to cut corners somewhere. But I'm not complaining as it works great. I gotta try it out for a few days before finally syaing "adios" to Verizon.

8. Duncan_2150

Duncan_2150 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    $299.00 is expensive for a virgin mobile phone. I would make sure you a absolutly love that phone

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using DroidForums

9. mthorn79

mthorn79 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I ditched my Thunderbolt for this phone, decided that I can connect to WiFi at work & at home (which is Verizon) & get the same data speeds as 4G, plus I don't have to worry about battery drain anymore! Of course the build quality is nowhere near HTC's but I really liked the boxy look of the Droid/Droid X lineup, didn't care for the slider but didn't want physical homescreen buttons & the Triumph hits exactly what I want to the T, plus NO MOTOBLUR!! The UI isn't as pretty or as smooth as Sense but oddly enough I'm more excited about this phone than I was my Thunderbolt when I got it. I guess I'm partial to my OG Droid look & feel & this looks almost just like it except slightly bigger screen wise.

I'm running into problems with the porting of my number, I've called 3 times & they assure me that my account is ready but still can't make calls. I can use wifi to stream music at work & surf so I'm good for now. They do outsource their customer service to India (to cut costs I guess) so I'm not comfortable with knowing whether they truly got my port correct. We shall see.

Overall this phone is worth the price tag considering it does just about everything my Thunderbolt did, minus 4G but it does have an HDMI port so thats a plus. Using Google Maps, the processor is as snappy as the T-bolt I had, the UI still lags a bit but I can live with that.

Highly recommend if you can get your hands on one! dancedroid

10. knightshade

knightshade Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've had one for 2 weeks or so....
    Phone is pretty nice, Virgin Mobile network is ok - but certainly not Verizon's coverage.

Need to decide if I want to drop Verizon or not.
    Tougher decision than I thought.

11. HamDog

HamDog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Join the club. I paid $85 for early termination fee and said good bye to Verizon. You are correct that the coverage isn't as good as Verizon, but it works where I live, work, and play. I now pay $25/month. Saving $60/month is worth it.

12. pendulum1976

pendulum1976 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but T-Mobile is going to be bought out by At&t. And watch your prices go up

13. pendulum1976

pendulum1976 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry screwed up I thought u said T-Mobile. My bad

14. aLIfareed

aLIfareed New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gays I'm using huawei u800 can u tell how to upgrade to 2.3