Tried to update Droid (flashed to cricket) to 2.3

Inver Brass

Reaction score
Hello. I own the original motorola droid. When I bought the phone I had it flashed to Cricket (full flash w/ data package). The phone came with the 2.1 firmware. A couple weeks ago I tried to update the firmware via these instructions: Complete Guide to Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on Motorola Droid

After updating, everything seemed to work fine, but then I discovered that my 3G stopped working. Now, I have to clarify that I have had issues with my 3G in the past. I cannot confirm that it stopped working because of the update, but that is my suspicion. Sometimes my 3G will stop working temporarily, but it normally comes back rather quickly. However, I tried keeping the 2.3 firmware for a couple days but I didn't get my 3G back so I ditched 2.3 and loaded my 2.1 backup. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get 2.3 to work on a cricket-flashed droid (with data package!) and if anyone has heard of this issue before.

Oh and there two other problems I'm having. Once I switched back to 2.1, my Pandora app now refuses to work. It FC every time I try to open it. I have uninstalled and redownloaded it from the market from Market, cleared the cache/data in settings, but it keeps saying "The application Pandora (process com.pandora.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." It worked fine before I did the update. It has not worked since, even after many reboots / battery pulls.

The other problem, which I believe is unrelated to the 2.3 update, is that I cannot update google maps. When I download the update from marketplace, it downloads then says "installation unsuccessful." If I try to download it manually from the internet, it says it is incompatible with my phone...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OP
I

Inver Brass

Reaction score
Nobody has ever tried to update the OS on a cricket-flashed droid before?

yancy91

Reaction score
Hello so you have the droid and its fully flash and updatin to 2.3 didnt takeoff the flash?

yancy91

Reaction score
So if i would do the rom update to 2.3 the flash would come off?

OP
I

Inver Brass

Reaction score
Nobody has ever tried to update the OS on a cricket-flashed droid before?

When you use Cricket you cannot update. Matter of fact you'll find other things you can't do either.

Thanks for the info. I don't understand why there are restrictions like this or why nobody has made some kind of fix for this.

Btw, @ last poster, I didn't lose my entire flash, just the 3G. That's what I don't understand because I was able to update using the rom and keep talk + texting, but no 3G.

If anyone finds a fix to keep cricket 3G when updating via rom, please post here!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb