Tried to root droid1 with z4root, need help.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by celtic11, Feb 21, 2011.

1. celtic11

celtic11 New Member

Hello,
    I decided to try and root my phone with z4root since it seemed simple and reversible. I've had my droid a little under a year now and until now just used it like your basic smart phone. I'm not really as familiar with the tech end of this stuff as many of you are but I really like some of the apps only available to rooted phones. I downloaded the z4root app from a link provided on this forum. The first one was through 4shared.com - free file sharing and storage and downloaded and installed without problems. I ran the program and it got to the point where it says acquiring root shell at the bottom and then the app just closed. I rebooted and tried again, same thing. So I deleted the app, and then downloaded the link from android.net and it wouldn't even install.

Now the problem is that the phone is very sluggish wants to force close my apps all the time, and it doesn't seem to want to charge. I did a battery pull but it still seems to be acting up.

Any idea why the root didn't work and why it seems to have negatively affected the phone.

I'm running android 2.2.1
  2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Z4root doesn't work on a D1 with 2.2.1 (FRG83D) hang tight..
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

DroidForums Junkie!!
  3. noiofnine

noiofnine New Member

Yeah. Def a case of wrong app for wrong phone. Make sure your read a little more about rooting and rooting apps. They are specific for each phone. Z4root is not for the D1 but rather works for DX (droid x).

Anyhow u will be helped shortly it looks like. If not do a search for rooting droid 1. There are lots of post out there

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. celtic11

celtic11 New Member

I see. The droid 1 is listed as compatible with the z4root app but that must be with 2.2 and not 2.2.1. Anyhow it seems after another reboot and some off time, the phone seems to be acting better. Thanks.
  5. lockman

lockman New Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  6. celtic11

celtic11 New Member

Also, I possibly missed it but in reading through that "how-to" I didn't notice if there was an option to unroot if I decide to. Is there a way to unroot with the above mentioned method from MotoCache?
  7. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

You are having the exact same problem I was having! I used SuperOneClick from the xda developers site. Make sure that you download the correct Motorola drivers for your computer and then go for it. I didn't know much about this stuff either, just do your research and before you know it you'll be flashing roms and changing kernels every couple of days. Please let me know if you run into problems, I'll be glad to help if I can.
    P.S. this site is amazing and so are the people on here. I learned everything from reading and asking ?'s here.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Search tags for this page
how to root spreadtrum phone
why does z4root force close
z4 root gets stuck on acquiring root shell
z4root acquiring root shell
z4root closes acquiring root shell

z4root closes after acquiring root shell

z4root crashes

z4root force close

z4root force close acquiring root shell
z4root hangs at acquiring root shell