tried rooting, stuck in boot loop-HELP

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
whoa! lots of new options!! :biggrin:

you guys rule for sticking with me! thank you very much!!

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
i have nova launcher on my phone, is that part of the rom? can't rememeber if i had that on there....

Kenny Bats

Reaction score
ok, i think i'm rooted. now i install that aokop 39 at this point, right?

(yeah it installed su.zip the second time i tried onto the card, went through the steps/reboot. had to you clockwork touch to get it to work)

I would suggest doing a backup so you can quicky flash back if you don't like the ROM.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
good to see you are up and running a rom. Like kenny said you should have made a nandroid backup. If you didnt dont fret just install the pre-rooted imm76k ([ROM]IMM76K 4.0.4 Stock, rooted, deodex, busybox, zipalign + MODs - xda-developers) Very important you have a stock setup to always be able to go back to. Enjoy the roms because there are so many out there and there is something for everyone. I have tried basically all kinds of roms and they all have something cool...whether be hybrid like (paranoid rom), some aokp, black ice, sourcery, cm9, eclipse, slim, gummy, hybrid, dt roms, and more. Plus you have different kernels to play with.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
whoa! lots of new options!! :biggrin:

you guys rule for sticking with me! thank you very much!!

Coming from stock like you are, there's lots of goodies for you to play with. I've been on AOKP for nearly six months and their devs continue to impress with the features they pack into their roms. If you have any questions about AOKP, let me know.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
good to see you are up and running a rom. Like kenny said you should have made a nandroid backup. If you didnt dont fret just install the pre-rooted imm76k ([ROM]IMM76K 4.0.4 Stock, rooted, deodex, busybox, zipalign + MODs - xda-developers) Very important you have a stock setup to always be able to go back to. Enjoy the roms because there are so many out there and there is something for everyone. I have tried basically all kinds of roms and they all have something cool...whether be hybrid like (paranoid rom), some aokp, black ice, sourcery, cm9, eclipse, slim, gummy, hybrid, dt roms, and more. Plus you have different kernels to play with.

i backed up with the clockwork touch on the recovery screen, is that what you're referring to? thanks

AOKP comes with the stock launcher and Nova launcher.

ahh ok thanks!

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
Coming from stock like you are, there's lots of goodies for you to play with. I've been on AOKP for nearly six months and their devs continue to impress with the features they pack into their roms. If you have any questions about AOKP, let me know.

i have aokop 40, is that the best one? i know that's the newest aokop, and most people use that rom...

also is the backup i did with clockwork touch the only backing up i need to do?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i backed up with the clockwork touch on the recovery screen, is that what you're referring to? thanks

ahh ok thanks!
yup as long as you have a nandroid backup you are good. Happy romming.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
thanks again, my friend! appreciate all your help!

(couldn't they think of a manlier logo than a pink unicorn? lol)

AOKP developers have a sense of humor, so they add funny stuff (or stuff they find funny) at times. They don't force the stuff on you and give you options to get rid of the unicorn stuff easily. You can disable the bootanimation or install a new one. There are other wallpapers that don't involve pink unicorns included, or you can use your own. They recently added a ringtone as well, called ProTekk (I think it is new in AOKP b40), which is a joke as well (although this doesn't really have anything to do with unicorns). They have a swagger toggle, for those that may want to turn it on and off at various times throughout the day. There are some other jokes built into the ROM as well that I forgot, or didn't mention here. Just the developers having a bit of fun.

Side note, not only men use their ROM. So while a manly logo may please you more, a fire breathing dragon with piles of skulls and bones around him may not appeal to the ladies. Personally I find the unicorn stuff funny and it makes me smile to see a unicorn on my screen. I can definitely understand how that may not be in everyone's taste though.

i have aokop 40, is that the best one? i know that's the newest aokop, and most people use that rom...

also is the backup i did with clockwork touch the only backing up i need to do?

Best is very subjective, but generally newer = better. Unless the ROM has a problem that is. Sometimes bugs pop up, especially with new features that haven't been tested thoroughly.

Nandroids (backups via your custom recovery) are the most in depth backups, and definitely the most important. Really this is the only one you need to do. Some folks like to make some other backups, like backing up their apps and some settings with something like Titanium Backup. Or backing up just their text messages with an app. Backing up their home screen with their alternative launcher. There is even an app to backup and restore the ROM control settings for AOKP. Restoring things gets a little trickier, as restoring certain things can cause problems between ROMs. For example with Titanium backup, it is never really a good idea to restore all system data.

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
how's that cyanogen rom? does it work on 4.0.4? can you provide a link to down load a good copy, thanks

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
how's that cyanogen rom? does it work on 4.0.4? can you provide a link to down load a good copy, thanks

thanks to an unlockable bootloader you dont have to worry about whether it will work with "4.04". Basically all roms are up for grab. This is my rule of thumb with running roms. I ask myself a few questions: 1) What I like about stock that must go with me with the rom (dont mind if it is enhanced just don't remover it) an example of this is I like face unlock and if I run into a rom where that feature does not work then I move on where others may not use that feature so it may not be a deal breaker. 2) What do I want added (swype, beats, soft key mods, notification bar changes, sense 4.0 recent apps menu, etc). 3) looking at the comments posted is there a common complaint and is that a complaint/issue I can deal with. (example is a rom where the battery life is not as good as other roms, someone who works in an office may be willing to take the risk if they love the rom being they are always near an outlet, where someone who dont work in an office or where he can be near a charger may have to pass up on that rom.

Because the the roms for the nexus are sooo many and are constantly being updated. You just have play with it. You may find roms that I may not care for appealing to you. Enjoy .....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Honestly since its your first rom I would recommend a rom that is close to stock with minor features and additions to basically get your feet wet. An example would be roms like gummy or eclipse. Gummy 1.3 toro is the latest but I think it is still in test mode. Some times a simple start where you get use to minor tweak here and there is a helpful start. Then move on to roms like sourcery, aokp, etc where the tweaks are almost endless but you just have to know what you want to tweak.

Last edited: