Trident Kraken, Love/Hate.

NS3M

Reaction score
I am sitting here on day 2 of owning my new Trident Kraken case for my Dinc, I love the protection it should be able to offer me and my phone, I also like that if need be I can remove the entire case from my phone much faster than the original cheap case I got off Ebay, which took 1 hit total to split the front half rendering it useless.

I appreciate how the Kraken fits the Incredible VERY snugly, but maybe I just don't see IF there is something I overlooked, once my Kraken is installed, I can either make or answer a call and my phone immediately goes into a screen and power button "user unfriendly" no-touch time-out, I have NO ability if using my screen and cannot even power down if need be. This makes any call that I would need to enter input into (banking, customer service ANYWHERE, and even internet browsing while involved in active conversation) to utter USELESSNESS, what's also severely angering me is this case seems to be picking up static from the air and myself.

I also evidently have to remove the case and rely upon the phone for spell-assist whenever typing anything, as well as forgetting about the notifications bar while my phone is being protected????

I also have a HUGE problem with the Kraken,my belt holster is just too small now, and I suffered through a day at work with my phone in my back pocket because it has nowhere else to go.

razor2006

Reaction score
Sounds like the case is covering the sensor. Trident Kraken = crap, anyway. Return it and buy an Otterbox Defender instead.

OP
N

NS3M

Reaction score
Which sensor? It appears that all are accommodated fully by this case.
I did enough looking at the Otterbox to know it wouldn't be what I was looking for in the way of protection.
I got 2 Kraken cases, 1 each for me and my son, for the price of a single Otterbox Defender.
I also like the personalized options of different colors Trident offers.
Thanks for your completely biased response.

razor2006

Reaction score
The proximity sensor is in the top of the face, above the display, near the Verizon logo. Just saying though, Otterbox is the best.

OP
N

NS3M

Reaction score
I think I may have it figured out, and for the sake of it the Otterbox is NOT an option in my opinion, too many bad reviews of it fitting loosely on the phone and no options of color were deciding factors in my NOT choosing it.
I have several choices of case color, with an additional 9 color options for the silicone skin.

I read up on the proximity sensor being a possible issue with the Dinc, and have figured it out as the silicone skin as the culprit, the opening in the skin is in need of more effort to seat for a much better fit as it seems to be interfering with the sensors proper operation if not installed completely correctly, a test of the sensor as described on another site made quick work of ensuring that it was fully and properly operational. Another site listed the skin as the culprit.

I am MORE than happy with the Kraken as my choice, and my son has the same opinion of his Kraken, the ONLY downfall to this case that I can see - is finding a carrying case that attaches to my belt like my Body Glove case did.

razor2006

Reaction score
*cough* Otterbox... :icon_ banana:

Just messin' with ya... Check out Trident's site, they sell belt clips for the Kraken cases for $10.

For the record though, I know many people with Otterbox Defenders, myself included, although I'm using a Otterbox Commuter currently, and no one has had any issues with the silicone layer fitting loosely on the inner-shell. Otterbox are a top notch case, and their production is nothing short of great. Warranty is as well. Colors are meaningless to me when I'm selecting a case for protection. But, to each his own.

Last edited:
OP
N

NS3M

Reaction score
Reading up on Otterbox's own website, they do NOT offer dust protection capabilities with their cases, another HUGE deciding factor for my case choice. The only part of my Kraken that is opened to the phone at all in any way is the hole in the front screen cover/protector for the trackball, which from personal experiance I can operate fully with a protector covering it fully, but I can also do without the trackball completely as I rarely use it except for a button to operate the camera slightly faster than touching the screen to snap a pic.

razor2006

Reaction score
I'm not sure where it is that you're getting your information but the Otterbox Defender series is the same way. The only thing open is a small hole for the trackball. They have a built in screen protector, cover over the notification LED, and sensors, camera, speaker, and dust covers over the headphone jack and micro usb port. It also comes with a belt clip, you don't have to buy it seperately.

Trust me, if you take 5 minutes and read any reviews in any capacity, you'll see Otterbox is much more highly regarded than Trident.

1984blazerboy

Reaction score
I love my Kraken

I have had my Kraken on my phone for four months now, and my phone still looks like new. I can however see that if you do not have the rubber cover properly seated on the case that it could cover the light/ proximity sensor. causing the phone to think that it is being held to your ear causing the screen to lock so that you dont accedently push any buttons while holding the phone up to your head. to fix the problem I suggest that you make sure that the rubber cover is properly seated on the case. Then feel free to go out and abuse it cause it is one tough case.
P.S. Had my first phone one month and then the external speaker blew. I noticed that there were some metal shavings on the speaker as I do metal fab work for a living I can not avoid the stuff. My Kraken case arived the same day that my new phone did, and I have checked the speaker several times. Still no shavings on the speaker but I do see them on the filters that cover the openings for them. All in all I can't praise this case enough.

OP
N

NS3M

Reaction score
@razor, I got that information right from their FAQ on their own website.
I have not gotten anywhere with the Kraken case/proximity sensor issue, it did it with the black silicone skin it originally came with, and acts exactly the same with the blue skin I have on it now.
I now know it is NOT the Kraken case OR the skins, but the particular proximity sensor in MY phone. I tried my case and both skins on my sons phone and his case and both colored skins he has on my phone, the proximity sensor in my phone has a problem with both cases, his has NO problem with either case.
My son is considering a Trident case for his Ipod Touch, he likes them so much.