Tricks n' Tips!

Andyw2100

Reaction score
This seems like an appropriate thread to ask the following questions. If there is a better place I should be asking them, I apologize.

The Droid 4 is my first Droid. I've been figuring some stuff out, but a few things have me baffled:

1) I don't seem able to edit the default "voicemail" entry to add pauses or a wait and then my security code, so that I can go right into my voicemail. On previous phones you could edit this entry. There must be a way to do this, right? I can't imagine I actually have to key in my security code every time I want to access voicemail, do I?

2) Periodically my phone says "Droid" in a droid-voice. At fist I thought it was the ringtone for different things, but I changed the alert sound for incoming mail and incoming texts. Later I thought it might be a sound to let me know I had some sort of alert--a missed call or something. But it sometimes makes that sound and I have no missed calls, no new messages of any kind--nothing that I can see. Any idea why it is doing this?

3) On previous phones I had icons for missed calls, unread e-mail, voicemail, etc. on my home screen. These would change color and/or have a number near them to indicate if I had any of these things, and how many, etc. How do I set the Droid up similarly, so that I can glance at my home screen and know if I have voicemail, missed calls, etc.

Thanks in advance for trying to help a complete Droid neophyte.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I can answer #3 and this might answer #2.

On the very top of you're screen theres a little bar. Its called a notification bar. This tells you what notifications you have. Missed calls, text messages, etc. You take a finger and swipe it down to see what you have.
See. Page 19 of your Master Your Device guide.

And this may answer #2 as it will tell you what may be making the Droid sounds because you can see what your phone is doing.

I cant answer #1 because I use google voice.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Andyw2100

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, Debdroid.

I checked that status area and there was a notification about the phone wanting me to enable a recommended "smart action", so perhaps that was the alert causing the "Droid" sound.

I definitely need to take some time to read through the manual.

Is there really no way, though, to see the status stuff, including the number of things, on the home screen without having to actually access that status bar? That would surprise me.

Thanks again.

droidbound

Reaction score
Reg. Your # 1: you have to edit the voice mail number in Contacts and/or in Settings > call options.
What you do is this: *86,,yourpin#
The commas signify a pause. Two of them works well for me.

Actually, on re-reading your post. To edit the voice mail number in contacts, long press the entry BEFORE you open it. If that does not work you'll have to edit the entry in settings too, I guess.

Last edited:

daryls61

Reaction score
Is there a way to change the # of screens or will there always be 5?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Is there a way to change the # of screens or will there always be 5?

You can download an app. Most are called Launcher. I think i had AWD Launcher or something like that.

ETA found a link with suggestions.

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I downloaded ADW Launcher since i didnt like the 5 screens. I now have 9. ;)

zertsman

Reaction score
i think putting a ; in your number folowed by say an extension.. will wait for you to pres ok then it will send the numbers.

Andyw2100

Reaction score
Reg. Your # 1: you have to edit the voice mail number in Contacts and/or in Settings > call options.
What you do is this: *86,,yourpin#
The commas signify a pause. Two of them works well for me.

Actually, on re-reading your post. To edit the voice mail number in contacts, long press the entry BEFORE you open it. If that does not work you'll have to edit the entry in settings too, I guess.

I was able to edit the number in Settings/Call options, but not in contacts. Doing so results in the following:

If I have a status bar alert, and call voicemail from that alert, my pin is entered correctly. However, if I simply use the icon on the homescreen to call voicemail, only *86 is entered. Any idea how to make that icon also enter my pin?

Thanks for the help!

daryls61

Reaction score
you could put the app drawer icon anywhere but if you need to get it back in its slot long press and then select it

That I get but what if you deleted the app icon by dragging it up to the trash so there was no app icon anywhere, how would you get back into the app drawer? There has to be another way to het to all your apps beside the app icon but I have not figured it out yet.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
ADW Launcher also has a companion app that will give you missed call counts and such on the icons.