Trapster

hacku

Reaction score
Well, I have heard great things about this app from a couple of friends that have it loaded on their Blackberries.

This app basically launches Google Maps and has locations of known speed traps (red light cameras and speed cameras). I downloaded it from the market and installed it. The only problem I see with the app is that every time it launches it defaults to California (Oakland). When you click on Menu and then select "Locate Me", it locates me just fine but doesn't center the map to where I am (Arizona), so I have to move it manually.

Anyone else having this issue with the map not centering to your location?

trapster.com - Speed Trap Sharing System

pdm0376

Reaction score
It's a good app except for the fact it doesn't help you if you come up on a trap that was reported hours before....doubt the officer is still sitting there if it's an alert for a trap. lol. I've come across those more than anything so it became an UNINSTALL for me

lauriep

Reaction score
I agree. I used it to drive to FL and every "trap" it identified was days or weeks old. Worthless, IMO.

wormywyrm

Reaction score
Isnt that still helpful because cops typically use the same 'sweet spots' to catch people? Like a good tree to hide behind, or a place that is downhill so unsuspecting drivers often drive extra fast?

Stefanie

Reaction score
If your using Trapster on the droid, make sure your logged in. There is an update for Trapster on the droid coming out soon. But for now you'll need to create a free account and login so that it can show your GPS location. Also, good to remember Trapster is a user based system. So if you know of a police hiding spot or see one then its up to the users, such as yourself, to enter the information to keep everything up to date.

If you ever have any problems just visit our support site: Community-powered support for Trapster

Stefanie :)

FRATBoy

Reaction score
Stephanie -

What is the update, well, updating? I uninstalled it for a couple of reasons.

First is the lack on integration with Google Nav as a layer or an overlay.
Second is the fact that it does not notify unless Trapster is the foremost application.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Stephanie,

I need a little advice. Running Trapster on my Droid, I DO NOT see "Police often hide here" in my town or any town for that matter nor any other alerts or traps. My desktop computer on trapster.com shows plenty in my town. Are you supposed to be able to just browse the map and see traps or do you have to navigate by them to see them on the Droid map. Again, my location is showing up, but I see no traps anywhere. I have uninstalled and reinstalled.

Stefanie

Reaction score
Trap settings

Hi SGTiger,

Check your trap settings. Sounds like you have your settings set to view only "high confidence traps" or none at all. Click menu button on the phone, select "more", and then "settings". Scroll down and make sure each trap type has "Include all Levels" and the audible alerts box is checked.

Also, go to the map display settings and make sure "traps" is checked.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Hi SGTiger,

Check your trap settings. Sounds like you have your settings set to view only "high confidence traps" or none at all. Click menu button on the phone, select "more", and then "settings". Scroll down and make sure each trap type has "Include all Levels" and the audible alerts box is checked.

Also, go to the map display settings and make sure "traps" is checked.

Ok I checked all that and it is as you listed. It seems like I'm just not getting the "Police Often Hide Here" icons that are showing up on trapster.com. I notice on the website, they are listed as expired. Is that why they do not show up on the droid? I would prefer to get these too even if they have expired.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Isnt that still helpful because cops typically use the same 'sweet spots' to catch people? Like a good tree to hide behind, or a place that is downhill so unsuspecting drivers often drive extra fast?
Not anywhere near as much as a CB, good radar detector and/or laser jammer in my experiences.

SGTiger

Reaction score
It's a tool people, and no tool is foolproof. The more tools there are, the better my chances.

My radar detector doesn't protect me if the officer waits to turn on the radar until I get very close to him. Jammers are worthless, IMO. I don't care to have to listen to CB chatter constantly to be warned of speed traps.

I want to know where radar has been known to be because everyone knows the same spots are used very frequently. Additionally if everyone gets on board with this, the reports will only get better.

I feel certain trapster will continue to improve their service. The more people using it and "reporting" traps, the better it will become.

Stefanie

Reaction score
Trapster aged traps

Ok I checked all that and it is as you listed. It seems like I'm just not getting the "Police Often Hide Here" icons that are showing up on trapster.com. I notice on the website, they are listed as expired. Is that why they do not show up on the droid? I would prefer to get these too even if they have expired.
You are correct, "Aged" traps (what you reference as expired above) do not show up on the mobile phone. However, if an aged trap is voted on positively it becomes active again. Also. if a users (on the mobile) reports the same trap on top of an aged trap then the aged trap goes active and the users report becomes a positive vote on the trap.

Aged traps are traps with no activity on them for 3 weeks. Police often change hiding spaces and this makes the trapmap less congestion and allows for more up-to-date trap data. We also encourage users to vote on valid traps as often as possible to keep them updated and active!

Parafly9

Reaction score
I had tried this on my BB and it could never findmy locaiton (on tour). It's such a great idea in concept, I hope it flushes out more.

(fwiw> yes, gps was working fine, just not for Trapster. I was on a VZW Tour)

Stefanie

Reaction score
I had tried this on my BB and it could never findmy locaiton (on tour). It's such a great idea in concept, I hope it flushes out more.

(fwiw> yes, gps was working fine, just not for Trapster. I was on a VZW Tour)

We are always here to help! Check out our support site: Community-powered support for Trapster

Thanks!
Stefanie