Transferring SMS from X to Maxx

JWX

Reaction score
Hello :) First post! Upgrading from a DX to Razr Maxx. Both rooted.

Used Titanium backup to move what I needed, all transferred good except it killed my 3g and 4g data when I moved the SMS files with Titanium.

Reset phone and am now looking for a decent app to safely move the SMS files without issue.

Any recommendations that have been used and actually work properly?

Thanks so much, this forum has been a huge help to me in my upgrading to the Maxx. Good deal guys!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I have used SMS Backup and Restore to move SMS from one phone to another. All I did was download the app on the current (or old phone, depending on how you look at it). I then moved the backup file from phone 1 to my PC, then to phone 2.Once the file is on the second phone all that you need to do is download the app again and restore.

OP
J

JWX

Reaction score
Thanks!

I hope the Razr Maxx does as well with that. I was surprised the titanium Backup killed the data and related indicators when I used it.

The phone is just about set up custom after 3 days of playing and I'd be seriously bummed to have to do it a 3rd time. :( I've only seen one other person mention this happening on another Razr with titanium....

Any other comments? (I'm just a tad bit gun shy this time, lol...)

Thanks again!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Not too sure what you mean by you are gun shy. As long as the messages are on the old phone and it works then there shouldn't be any risks involved. We would just have to get the apk on the other phone, which is doable. Then on the new phone you would just have to download it from the Play Store.

OP
J

JWX

Reaction score
I'm thinking this will be the better way, not moving the OS file and just moving the texts to PC and back to phone.

Thanks again, gonna try it shortly. Just worked 14 hrs and I'm debating if I'm coherent enough to mange it, lol...

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No problem. Let me know how you make out.

OP
J

JWX

Reaction score
Oh, I meant gun shy as using Titanium Backup Root to swap the file over killed my data on the phone requiring a hard reset. having done it twice now, I'm a bit apprehensive on just how I'm swapping stuff to that file.

I don't think this app you've recommended will be am issue as it doesn't swap in the old file like Titanium Backup did, it copies the data into the fresh system.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
All it does is create an XML file containing all of the messages. Once you move said file to the new phone you can restore using the same app. Very easy.

OP
J

JWX

Reaction score
Yep, done deal, worked dandy and yes, very simple. The dates aren't retained, and reset to today's date, but the texts are there and it worked great! Thank you! No issues and I transferred a couple thousand texts.

For anyone reading this I used the "SMS Backup and Restore" by Infolife recommended by JSM9872. There is another app by that same name, written by Ritesh Sahu. I didn't try that one.

Much appreciation JSM :)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Nice, glad it worked!! I actually do use the other one but I am sure it works exactly the same way.