Transferring everything to other Droid?

stanwelks

Reaction score
I am going to switch to another Droid. From what I understand, it will automatically transfer my contacts and calendar.

1. Can I make it also transfer all of my apps?
2. Can I also make it place the icons for each app on each screen in the locations that I already set them up in?

Thanks.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
If your Droid is rooted you can make a nandroid backup and then restore it to your new phone...

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe when you register again with your gmail addy, the market will have your apps ready for redownload, records are kept ...

You can resetup shortcuts at your leisure.

nickv84

Reaction score
The market will have your paid apps but not the freebies unfortunately.

Reaction score
If your Droid is rooted you can make a nandroid backup and then restore it to your new phone...

Why would you have to root to do this.

Do you think someone will make an app that does a true backup of everything. I mean everything? So like the OP is asking about where they wouldnt have to do anything but restore the phone. Shorcuts, widgets etc... would be there.

Sprite backup did this for the most part 5 years ago on winmo.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Do you think someone will make an app that does a true backup of everything. I mean everything? So like the OP is asking about where they wouldnt have to do anything but restore the phone. Shorcuts, widgets etc... would be there.

Download "my back up" and back up to your SD card. When you get your new phone up. Go back to the market and redownload my back. the restore. All done

Silver Member
Reaction score
this is not true. if you've allowed Google to backup your settings, all of your apps will be downloaded once your new device is registered with your original gmail account.

it may take a while to get all of the apps, but they will eventually download.

any customizations to ringtones, settings, shortcuts, widgets and cookies will be lost.

bookmarks, wifi networks, apps, contacts and appointments will be restored.

Reaction score

Download "my back up" and back up to your SD card. When you get your new phone up. Go back to the market and redownload my back. the restore. All done

Sweet! so its "my backup" is what I need?

And this will backup widgets (placements and settings of those widgets), shortcuts, folders, shortcuts to direct dials etc etc etc?

thanks

this is not true. if you've allowed Google to backup your settings, all of your apps will be downloaded once your new device is registered with your original gmail account.

any customizations to ringtones, settings, shortcuts, widgets and cookies will be lost.

So its not possible ? :(

Erich_F

Reaction score

Yeah, this is true. You will also have to rebuild your home screen layouts. During my GPS fiasco, I wiped the phone about 5 times.

Using a backup app will allow for a complete rebuild, though.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i've been through three DROIDs and several Restores... i'm pratically a pro at starting over. lol.

Silver Member
Reaction score
So its not possible ? :(
i don't know if other backup apps have the ability to read your custom settings or not. what would it hurt, other than time, to try it out?

i think the most difficult part is getting all of your apps back. getting them on your desktop is easy.

Erich_F

Reaction score
i think the most difficult part is getting all of your apps back. getting them on your desktop is easy.

Actually, I found it the other way around. Your apps re-install automatically in about 5 minutes (depending on size and amount). Rebuilding the home screens, with shortcuts, widgets, wallpapers, etc takes the most time. Then, there's logging back into your favorite websites all over again, because the cookies are all gone.

Edit: One thing not mentioned here...if you uninstalled apps through your phone, but not the through the Market...they will be re-installed upon reset. If you don't want any of those back, go to the Market Downloads tab and uninstall there.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i meant if you had to go and search for them all.. which you don't, which makes it easy. but yeah.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! However, I am still unclear on which app will backup

settings meaning all the programs I setup to my liking color schemes etc etc etc
widgets
home screen(s) all the icons and programs in their particular place that I put them (if you use home ++ or the like)

is it my back up pro?

thanks

thanks