Transfer videos to PC

Droid2Pwnage

Reaction score
well, I've just got the new Droid 2 and I have the Motorola Media Link program, I just want to know how I can get these videos to my computer so I can edit them with a video software such as Adobe After Effects. :greendroid:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

linkedup8484

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the verizon program because it was such a hassle to install...I just plug the usb into my computer and then say view files in windows explorer (or just go to windows explorer and find whatever/removable drive the phone is listed) then I just go to the dcim-->camera folder and copy and paste whatever vids/pics I want to play with from there to my computer.

OP
D

Droid2Pwnage

Reaction score
then I just go to the dcim-->camera folder and copy and paste whatever vids/pics I want to play with from there to my computer.

Well, I did that too, but the videos were in the .3gp file format. Not really compatable with anything that I use. :motdroidvert:

WhiteSoul8

Reaction score
You may have to convert your .3gp file to your desired format with a 3rd party application. Try using a search engine to find what you are looking for. For example, if you desired format - search for "convert 3gp to mov" and you should be presented a variety of options (some free/some paid) to do the job.

OP
D

Droid2Pwnage

Reaction score
You may have to convert your .3gp file to your desired format with a 3rd party application

Hmm, well, I did that as well with a very reliable program that I had been using for several years before I posted the original thread and the audio sync was terrible and it was no longer in the beabeautiful 720 p HD. Its not like verizon owns these clips... there should be an easier way to migrate them to PC... I can transfer pictures to my computer i can't do videos. :S

Gibbsinator

Reaction score
You may have to convert your .3gp file to your desired format with a 3rd party application

Hmm, well, I did that as well with a very reliable program that I had been using for several years before I posted the original thread and the audio sync was terrible and it was no longer in the beabeautiful 720 p HD. Its not like verizon owns these clips... there should be an easier way to migrate them to PC... I can transfer pictures to my computer i can't do videos. :S

Droid 2 does not capture 720p video, sorry. That is the Droid X. If the video is stored as a .3gp file(which pretty much all phones do) then no matter how you extract the file, it will still have to be converted from .3gp to w/e file type you want.

WhiteSoul8

Reaction score
Hi D2p:

What are you (specifically) trying to do with the video? (ie: View on the computer, edit in movie editing software, burn to DVD)

This is what I've learned: For the PC, Windows Media Player 12 for Windows 7 should have no problems playing the video files. For Mac, I have no problems viewing the file with Itunes and Quicktime - which should also work on a Windows based computer.

When I play them back in iTunes, it appears to be the same exact quality as it was recorded on the phone. My movie editing software, however, would not read the .3gp file. My first attempt to convert the file did ruin the quality of the video and audio. That's probably caused by me not knowing enough about video conversion. I'm a photographer, so, I understand "a little" when it comes to video - but not much.

So - if we're just looking to view the files on the computer, that file format appears to be supported by "up to date" versions of software available for both Mac & Pc (such as Quicktime, Windows Media Player, VLC Player).

If we're looking to convert the files so we can edit them or transfer them to a DVD, I think the advice from someone that is well versed in video would be helpful so we could understand how to convert that format into another format, without any further compression or loss of quality.

Good luck =)

DayDay

Reaction score
I would suggest just download mIQ Live. This is what i use to backup my phone. You can choose to sync your whole phone or just videos. The videos will wirelessly upload to your private account online where you can just download to your computer....

ddavelarsen

Reaction score
Files Grayed Out

Hello, brand spankin new to this forum and found it because of my question. I took a video that's too large to email to myself and am trying to download it to my mac. I've navigated to where I can see the file, but all of the image files and movie files are grayed out. Any ideas how I can access them?

seventh

Reaction score
I exported my video from Droid X to my laptop by usb cable then edited the .gp in VideoPad Editor from NCH. The free version let's you save the result as wmv. or avi The paid version offers saving more options including mpg.