Transfer music from iPod to Droid

apastuszak

Reaction score
They are probably m4p files

I want to put some of my music on my Droid. I transferred the files to my SD card and put them in a folder labeled "music" but when I go to the Music widget, it says there aren't any files available:icon_evil:. How can I get them to show up?

They may be m4p files. If you want to play them on the Droid, you'll need to go to the iTunes Music Store and upgrade the songs to iTunes Plus format, which has no DRM.

Before you go *****ing about iTunes DRM, the iTunes Music store is the only music store that lets you upgrade your music from DRM to non-DRM music for a fee.

When Walmart and Microsoft converted to non-DRM they left you high and dry.

Every single song you buy on iTunes now is DRM free, so anything you buy from iTunes will play on the Droid.

Last edited:

Higgs98xj

Reaction score
They may be m4p files. If you want to play them on the Droid, you'll need to go to the iTunes Music Store and upgrade the songs to iTunes Plus format, which has no DRM.

That's great! I just checked it out but i wish i didnt have so many protected songs. 30 cents a song adds up!

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
That's great! I just checked it out but i wish i didnt have so many protected songs. 30 cents a song adds up!

You can also buy software that removes DRM from song files. That is an alternative to paying for the itunes premium service the other guy described.

Personally I think its cheaper and more flexible to just buy some software that removes the DRM, than pay itunes (i don't know if itunes charges you to unlock each song or if its a one time fee or whatnot, but yeah you get the idea...)

Because I don't believe in paying a company for something I already bought.

apastuszak

Reaction score

You can also buy software that removes DRM from song files. That is an alternative to paying for the itunes premium service the other guy described.

Personally I think its cheaper and more flexible to just buy some software that removes the DRM, than pay itunes (i don't know if itunes charges you to unlock each song or if its a one time fee or whatnot, but yeah you get the idea...)

The difference here is that the protected file are 128Kbps AAC M4P files you would convert to M4A through some software. If you pay the $0.30 per track, you get upgraded to a 256Kbps M4A AAC files. So, for $0.30 you're actually getting a better quality file.

Plus out of all the music stores out there that went from DRMed to non-DRMed content, iTunes is the only one that allowed you to upgrade your songs for a fee. The other two that come to mind, Walmart and MSN Music, shut their DRM servers down and left consumers high and dry.

Say what you will about the iTunes/iPod/iPhone lock in, but when it came time to remove DRM, I think Apple did it right. Obviously, the better option would have been a free upgrade, but a small fee is better than losing you music.

Andy

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I've tried manually dragging & dropping the files to my Droid, and I've tried DoubleTwist, but had problems with both methods. Mainly workflow problems, not technical. I want to keep iTunes as the main source for managing my music, podcasts (audio & video), and playlists, because my household also has two iPods that need to be synced.

This week I tried Motorola Mobile Link (MML), and it's not great by any means, but at least it syncs with iTunes. The biggest problem that I've had is that after I synch, the songs on playlists in the Droid aren't in the same order as they were in the same playlist on iTunes. I was puzzled, because the songs weren't even listed aphabetically by song title, artist, or album. Actually, the playlists seemed to consist of multiple groups of songs where songs were listed alphabetical by title within each group. Last night I figured that the problem is with the Droid. It sorts songs in a synced playlist alphabetically by file name (not by song title). My iTunes is set up to list the track number first, then the song title in the file name. Therefore, all songs that were track #1 on their respective albums/singles were all sorted alphabetically, then all songs that were track #2 on their albums were listed alphabetically, and so on.

As a side note, several people, myself included, have had problems where the sync process freezes up. I think it has something to do with the Screen Timemout setting in the Droid. I had the problem with DoubleTwist and MML. When I sync I enable the option to leave the screen on when charging (from apps>development menu), disable unlock pattern, and set the longest screen timout setting. I remember "Never" used to be in the list of options for the screen timout setting. Now the maximum time you can select from the list is 30 minutes. I get the lockup problem around that 30 minute mark, so that's why I think this setting has sometthing to do with the problem. The only times I've gone beyond 30 minutes for synching is when I initially import lots of data (1000+ music & movie files). After that, regular syncing takes just a few minutes and I don't experience the lock-up problem.

Another weird thing I noticed. DoubleTwist put my songs in a folder called "Music" on the SD card's root and Videos in a folder called "Videos" also on the SD card's root. When I tried MML, it created a folder called "mobile" in the root that included subfolders called "mml", "music", "picture", and "video". It didn't recognize that I already had most of my music files in the "Music" root folder created by DT; it copied the files from my PC to the new destination on the Droid. I deleted the duplicates that were in the original file created by DT. Another thing, rather than copying music to "mobile/music", it copied all tracks to "mobile/mml/iTunes". Also, it put all the songs in that folder, rather than using the Artist/Album directory structure that I have on my PC and that DoubleTwist retained in the "Music" folder. When MML copied my videos to the "mobile/videos" folder, it does have subfolders for each video podcast, and within those folders are the individual episode videos.

crspang

Reaction score

The difference here is that the protected file are 128Kbps AAC M4P files you would convert to M4A through some software. If you pay the $0.30 per track, you get upgraded to a 256Kbps M4A AAC files. So, for $0.30 you're actually getting a better quality file.

Plus out of all the music stores out there that went from DRMed to non-DRMed content, iTunes is the only one that allowed you to upgrade your songs for a fee. The other two that come to mind, Walmart and MSN Music, shut their DRM servers down and left consumers high and dry.

Say what you will about the iTunes/iPod/iPhone lock in, but when it came time to remove DRM, I think Apple did it right. Obviously, the better option would have been a free upgrade, but a small fee is better than losing you music.

Andy

Does iTunes still restrict how many devices/computers media can be put on?

apastuszak

Reaction score
Salling Media Sync

I've tried manually dragging & dropping the files to my Droid, and I've tried DoubleTwist, but had problems with both methods. Mainly workflow problems, not technical. I want to keep iTunes as the main source for managing my music, podcasts (audio & video), and playlists, because my household also has two iPods that need to be synced.

One of my coworkers had a lot of luck using Salling Media Sync to put songs on his Droid from iTunes. I have yet to try it, but I thought you might want to give it a whirl.

Salling Software - Salling Media Sync for Windows

apastuszak

Reaction score
Not sure

Does iTunes still restrict how many devices/computers media can be put on?

I honestly don't know. I only have 2 iPods in the house. I don't see how it could. Since none of the songs have DRM in them, you could just copy your whole library onto another PC and drop into a copy of iTunes there and sync a bunch of iPods on there also.

Thank God DRM for music is dead. It always cracked that if I bought legal music is was DRMed and almost always 128Kbps. If I pirated my music I could move it anywhere and it was always at least 256Kbps, usually 320Kbps. Now all online stores are 256Kbps, and some stores even have FLAC files.

Now we just need to work on it for eBooks.

Oldride

Reaction score
All my music I have on my Ipod is from my own Cd's I didn't have any downloaded music to transfer to my Droid. It was in my Itunes program and I was able to easily switch all the songs to MP3 format. I downloaded a program called Double Twist and one called Motorola Media Link. I had trouble getting the Droid to sync up with the double Twist program, although It did Sync with the Motorola Media Link program. I mananged to load all the music to the Droid just fine. The only thing I found a bit of a problem was the Droid wouldn't sync information like the old Palm units used to. I couldn't update the music if I made any changes the Droid or PC. I had to sync and completely reload all music off the PC from scratch. But overall the transfer went smooth and it's really nice to be able to play the music through the Droid Speaker or Ear Buds.
:icon_ banana:

Last edited:

Cold Irons

Reaction score
iTunes restricts the number of COMPUTERs that are authorized for your DRM'd songs to a maximum of 5. You could have them on a hundred iPods if you want, as long as the iPods are loaded from one of these 5 computers. Any non-DRM'd songs have no restrictions at all - computer or iPod. As long as you avoid DRM'd songs, iTunes imposes no numeric restrictions on your library or iPods.

I've just been manually putting songs on the Droid - drag & drop & the Droid's music player finds them with no problems.

crspang

Reaction score
iTunes restricts the number of COMPUTERs that are authorized for your DRM'd songs to a maximum of 5. You could have them on a hundred iPods if you want, as long as the iPods are loaded from one of these 5 computers. Any non-DRM'd songs have no restrictions at all - computer or iPod. As long as you avoid DRM'd songs, iTunes imposes no numeric restrictions on your library or iPods.

I've just been manually putting songs on the Droid - drag & drop & the Droid's music player finds them with no problems.

Thanks for the info!

jdollaz

Reaction score
I want to put some of my music on my Droid. I transferred the files to my SD card and put them in a folder labeled "music" but when I go to the Music widget, it says there aren't any files available:icon_evil:. How can I get them to show up?

All simple media types, audio and video are interchangeable just rename an .m4a or .aac to .mp3 or vice versa and it will work. These formats are pretty much identical and spending $$$ on converters and what not is ridiculous. Make sure whatever OS you are using has the option to change file extensions checked and that’s it’s.

Last edited:

soft27

Reaction score
If you happenly want to copy iPod playlist, I suggest this iPod playlist copy software which can transfer photos, music, video files from iPod to iPod, iPod to computer, and iPod to iTune with high speed and very good quality just by drag-and-drop.

What's more, this free iPod playlist copy software also allows you to mange your iPod as a hard disk, with the search function it offers you can search the files which you want to quickly and easily, just have a try, you will finish copying iPod playlist with egregious speed.

free-ipod-to-pc-backup.jpg

solution

Reaction score
The easiest solution for you, is to redownload your music as MP3 files from a free source like limewire. You can then easily drag and drop the files onto your droid memory card and you'll be set.

Man, don't trust limewire for a second that place is a cesspool for bad PC mojo. At least make sure you have a good AV before you go slumming on LW. Seriously I've seen alot of good PCs go down because of that program.

g8gt2012

Reaction score
Hey, sorry to resurrect this but I seem to be having a problem and it follows with the OP's. I recently put one of my playlists onto my Droid one 2 weeks ago, most of the songs being from iTunes, and they played fine. Today however all of the iTunes songs stopped working. They will not play with Music Mod, stock, or Mixzing. Renaming the extensions does nothing, any suggestions? I don't want to download a converter mainly because I got them to play fine for 2 weeks.