Transfer a paid app to another phone

chapaboy

Reaction score
Can you transfer an app that you have and paid and all to a friends phone??? will it work?

M

Matth3w

If I'm understanding this correctly you want to basically pirate some paid apps to your friend's phone for free?

Hiroller173

Reaction score
Paid apps are tied to your gmail account. Unless you're willing to share/give up your email account, only your phone gets the app. Of course there's piracy, but we don't go there.

I do have a follow-up question.... If you have multiple droids, and all of them access the same gmail account, do you get the app on all of your phones after buying it once?

M

Matth3w

Paid apps are tied to your gmail account. Unless you're willing to share/give up your email account, only your phone gets the app. Of course there's piracy, but we don't go there.

I do have a follow-up question.... If you have multiple droids, and all of them access the same gmail account, do you get the app on all of your phones after buying it once?
Yes. I had a TMobile G1 like a year and half ago and I still had my paid apps available to me when I got the Droid.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can you transfer an app that you have and paid and all to a friends phone??? will it work?

it is highly immoral and wrong to not just pay the buck or two the app costs. these guys work day and night making the apps for android and if they start gettting pirated...it will shut down the android market. are you willing to settle for what's there now? or encourage the android market development by paying the lousy buck? :D either way we don't condone app swapping/stealing in this forum.

No. Unless you mean for each phone YOU personally own because of a swap. i could be wrong but....

OP
C

chapaboy

Reaction score
well first. I Haven't done anything wrong or immoral with asking as far as I know this space is for asking about your droid capabilities.
Second, I am talking about a $30+ app that I don't want to lose.
obviously if i have 2 phones and pay insurance for both of them.... I don't really care much about buying or donating for a 2 dollar app.
I own 2 droids and I pay the insurance and that is why I am asking if I could transfer an app to another droid. I wanted to know if i could transfer an app from my main phone and use it on the second one.
I don't want to pay another 30 bucks if i don't really have to. ( they have 2 different accounts) and I did not want to explain all this to formulate a question, but apparently some people like to point fingers before listening the whole thing

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If they're both your phone, then share the Google account. If it's a friend's phone, then bite the bullet and buy the app again.

Last edited:
OP
C

chapaboy

Reaction score
If they're both your phone, then share the Google account. If it's a friend's phone, then bite the bullet and buy the app again.

can you use the same account on 2 different phones? I did not even thought of that.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

can you use the same account on 2 different phones? I did not even thought of that.

Absolutely -- Google doesnt know the difference -- everything will sync up.

gatewayad

Reaction score
well first. I Haven't done anything wrong or immoral with asking as far as I know this space is for asking about your droid capabilities.
obviously if i have 2 phones and pay insurance for both of them.... I don't really care much about buying or donating for a 2 dollar app.
I own 2 droids and I pay the insurance and that is why I am asking if I could transfer an app to another droid. I wanted to know if i could transfer an app from my main phone and use it on the second one.
I don't want to pay another 30 bucks if i don't really have to. ( they have 2 different accounts) and I did not want to explain all this to formulate a question, but apparently some people like to point fingers before listening the whole thing

Thanks not what you asked at first

Transfer a paid app to another phone

answer that i have heard is that if they are not tied to the same gmail...no

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
well first...blah blah blah... my main phone and use it on the second one.

That isn't at all what you said the first time. You said "a friends phone". Not your phone, but a friends phone...as in someone elses. Now you're coming back trying to make it like we are the ones with poor reading comprehension? Come on dude, don't change your story mid-stride. A friends phone, your phone, more likely somewhere in the middle, a friends phone that is on your bill/account. An any case, you've got your answers, next time if you expect a solid answer, provide all of the CORRECT info from the get-go.:)

P.S. You stated you pay the insurance for both phones a few times...that makes no difference to the app developers, they don't get paid on the insurance you bought. If that's the best justification you can come up with...

Fine, here is the thread discussing how to do it.

Last edited:

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score

Interesting that you changed your story from your first post... in that one it was a friends phone, later on it was another one of your phones...

FlipBack

Reaction score
If Android app devs quit due to piracy, people that shared apps with their friends are to blame.

But yes, you can.

Xtremefaith

Reaction score
Changed gmail accounts

I've got an honest question, I want to be ethical but I have a problem. I got too much junk mail on my previous gmail account so I decided to change accounts, I realized this meant wiping my droid so that I could set it up with my new gmail account. Now that I've done this I have also added my old account to the phone as well, but I've disabled the syncing because I don't want it to sync the contacts from that account. Problem is that I've lost multiple paid games and apps now and I'm not sure how to get them back, I thought that by adding my old account it would recognize what it needed so that I wouldn't have to pay for all the apps again.

Any advice, thoughts, or suggestions?

Xtremefaith