Traceability of software and rooting

SerenityNetworks

Reaction score
I'm just curious... With tethering workarounds like PDAnet and root/unroot solutions, I'm wondering just how traceable that activity is to Verizon and other providers.

From what I read in the forums, providers haven't been denying warranty claims on phones that have been rooted and later unrooted. Likewise, they are not charging extra when unrooted or rooted tethering applications are used. But I find it hard to believe they can't tell, on any given phone, that these solutions aren't being used.

Can anyone definitively say these actions are not traceable?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Rooting and unrooting is based on program access. Unless the os is logging how many times admin is used, it's not traceable. Flashing is the same. Unless the memory is checking how many times sbf is used or an image is flashed over, they can't trace it. Tethering is a different story. Data amounts and data types. Going through the other tether forms, your smartphone is using normal data much like a computer. Apps, music, browsing outside of mobile sites, youtube.....all expected on a smartphone with said capabilties. They might start wondering about certain things eventually, but without severe snooping, they only look for the different data signal provided by their tether app or outrageous data levels.

Canadroid

Reaction score
Rooting and unrooting is based on program access. Unless the os is logging how many times admin is used, it's not traceable. Flashing is the same. Unless the memory is checking how many times sbf is used or an image is flashed over, they can't trace it. Tethering is a different story. Data amounts and data types. Going through the other tether forms, your smartphone is using normal data much like a computer. Apps, music, browsing outside of mobile sites, youtube.....all expected on a smartphone with said capabilties. They might start wondering about certain things eventually, but without severe snooping, they only look for the different data signal provided by their tether app or outrageous data levels.

+1

Check back though as obviously the whole tethering situation might change over the coming months...

...or not. ;)

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

+1

Check back though as obviously the whole tethering situation might change over the coming months...

...or not. ;)
like we've never heard that one before dancedroid

Taegost

Reaction score
If you read the ToS about bandwidth usage, VZ specifically states that they don't look at the types of traffic, but if you go over 5G in a month, they automatically consider you to be doing something that is against the ToS like tethering or streaming video.
The clause states that they can shut off your service, but I have yet to hear of anyone actually getting in trouble for it.