Touchwiz revamped

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Samsung have done a lot of things right over the years but one area that they needed to improve was with Touchwiz, it just come across as 'cartoony'. Apparently someone in Samsung agreed and actually revamped Touchwiz to a more visual appealing skin. Unfortunately it never made it to production but I for one would love to see Samsung bring this revamped Touchwiz to future devices, the Note 5 in particular.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I suppose if you want to stick with stock TW and not do anything with your device this would be ok. That said, what they are showing you in the video can already be accomplished by simply using the Google Now Launcher. OR your current browser of choice and applying a few widgets, Flipboard, etc.
My point is, I'm really not seeing anything new here you can't already do with current apps available to you. Perhaps I'm missing the bigger picture.

S5 tap'n

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I suppose if you want to stick with stock TW and not do anything with your device this would be ok. That said, what they are showing you in the video can already be accomplished by simply using the Google Now Launcher. OR your current browser of choice and applying a few widgets, Flipboard, etc.
My point is, I'm really not seeing anything new here you can't already do with current apps available to you. Perhaps I'm missing the bigger picture.

The purpose of skins, according to the manufacturers, is so that their devices have a unique "look" and UX that you can't get anywhere else. You can always get the same exact functions and info from apps and launchers, but this is their "exclusive" experience. They take their time to lovingly comb through OS updates to caress the code and add touches you will only find on their devices.

For that reason, they slap levels of security to lock down their devices to ensure that you only experience the device using their UI. It's also why you can't just turn it all off and use vanilla Android. It's basically a way to get users accustomed to using their devices in the hopes that if they go to the store and try to test out a different manufacturers device they feel disoriented and uncomfortable. If they can do that they believe customers will stay with what they're used to. It's all a load of horsechips.

boidsonly

Reaction score
TW is a bloated RAM monster. I opted for the Nexus 6 when I moved to T-Mo. TW kept me from going for the S6/Edge. Sorry Samsung; great phones but when I buy a 3gb phone, I don't want 1.7gb tied up in system resources. Maybe next time....maybe.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
TW is a bloated RAM monster. I opted for the Nexus 6 when I moved to T-Mo. TW kept me from going for the S6/Edge. Sorry Samsung; great phones but when I buy a 3gb phone, I don't want 1.7gb tied up in system resources. Maybe next time....maybe.
Good point and why I went nexus 6 as well (that and the ability to unlock the bootloader and get faster updates). It will be interesting to see if the revamped skin used more, less, or the same amount of resources.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Nexus 6 checking in and am so tired of Samsung with their antics. The bad part is the millions and millions of users that don't care about root, don't know what a bootloader is and use their phone so for basic tasks Samsung won't change anything.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Exactly. I'm in the Nexus camp as well. I had the S4 and I HATED the built in sounds and goofy effects. If for some reason Google can't continue to provide the Nexus experience across all carriers in the U.S. I'm gonna do the unthinkable. If I'm going to be locked into heavily walled pre-defined ecosystem I may as well go for the gold standard.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Looks like this is turning into another Samsung bashing thread so I'll quietly bow out. The point is, people make TW out to be a lot worse than it is, they always have and always will, regardless of how much Samsung continues to improve it. As I always say, the beauty of Android is "choice". Not being locked into one UI *cough -iPhone- cough* is what's important in the grand scheme of things.

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Looks like this is turning into another Samsung bashing thread so I'll quietly bow out. The point is, people make TW out to be a lot worse than it is, they always have and always will, regardless of how much Samsung continues to improve it. As I always say, the beauty of Android is "choice". Not being locked into one UI *cough -iPhone- cough* is what's important in the grand scheme of things.

S5 tap'n
I hope not. Hopefully we can all appreciate tech while being able to discuss our likes and dislikes.

The reality is only a small percentage care about root and bootloaders and that was made evident by the amount of people who bought google play edition devices and continue to remain evident by the number of nexus devices sold against galaxy devices. Those that want a device to root we have the nexus, one plus, and a few devices for us.

What I likes about the revamped touchwiz was that the icons and the overall look, looks more professional and closer to stock while still distinguishing itself. Yeah I can get that information from Google now but I love the transitions and overall look. It just makes it uniform. I applaud the revamped look and hope Samsung build off of that to make touchwiz more appealing.

Lastly, if the device is awesome but I was concerned with all the resources running in the background I still have the option to run a 3rd party launcher (ie Nova) or Google Now launcher.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Great TW comparison video between the S5 & S6.
Galaxy S6 vs Galaxy S5: Touchwiz Comparison: TW is actually slower in many cases on the S6 compared to the S5. Plus more bloat and less overall features than the S5. Personally I like the look of TW on the S5 more, but I may be biased since its my DD. The only thing I liked about the S6 was how fast the camera opened, but it wasn't a huge difference and not a game charger for me.
Just like previous S4 users didn't think the S5 was a considerable upgrade, this is how I currently feel about the S6. Maybe the Note 5 will be more appealing.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My favorite part of TW is the ability to use Nova. My favorite manufacturer skin was always Sense but even it works better with Nova as the main launcher, it running outer layers only :)
During my stint with an iPad and my 24 hours of insanity with an iPod Touch I found missing Nova (or anything else including TW) to be my biggest frustration. 5 apps only on a dock? Seriously? No resizing widgets? Seriously? I'll choose bloated skins all day long as long as I can add an aftermarket launcher onto the phone.

ayanav

Banned
Reaction score
Samsung would be in the process of looking at the idea of integrating the new version of TouchWiz that already supports both versions of the galaxy s6 on the galaxy note 4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coque galaxy s6 galaxy note 3 réduction

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree MBM, I much prefer running Apex Pro. The added features, gestures etc make for a much better overall user experience.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I honestly don't mind touchwiz. Are there many "features" of it that I don't use? Of course, but they don't bother me. However, as I've said in numerous threads lately, I'm seriously considering a device from another manufacturer when it comes time to retire the Note 4. Though I'm sure I'll miss some of the features, I know for certain that I'm not fully dependent on TW by any means. It'll be like my switch from Motoblur devices to the Galaxy Nexus.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I haven't used a launcher in ages and I have a simple question that might sound silly...

If you use a launcher other than Google Launcher do you still get Google Now functionality?