Touchwiz revamped

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
We all live in the Android ecosystem yet we still have discussions about OEM skins. With the slew of launchers out there if all you can come up with is TW sucks then I'll throw this out there...stock Android is comical looking AND it is boring.

But it isn't just stock Android that is boring. It's every OEM skin out there. We have these beast phones now with 14nm SoCs, DDR4 RAM, Super LCD3 screens, and AMOLED quad HD screens and we are still stuck with generic 2009 GUI's. It's pathetic. And someone mentioned switching over to the golden standard?

The example shown in the video is my case and point. It's a bunch of fly in animations. That's what we have, still, after all these years.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I haven't used a launcher in ages and I have a simple question that might sound silly...

If you use a launcher other than Google Launcher do you still get Google Now functionality?
On the Note 4, yes you do. But the Note 4 (and other Samsung devices) has a physical home button, which you hold down to open Google Now (if you're not keen on launching it by voice). Can't speak for devices that only have on-screen buttons, but, if I remember correctly from the last time I had one of those, those don't go away with a launcher replacement, do they? If that's the case, it should still be possible to launch GN with the swipe up from the Home "button."

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I haven't used a launcher in ages and I have a simple question that might sound silly...

If you use a launcher other than Google Launcher do you still get Google Now functionality?
Yes, remember Google now started out being assessed by holding the home button. Later it became its own page on the launcher which copied what Motorola did a few years before (except their screen was the settings menu)

0c4ca6ae0242b984cba774d035752761.jpg

Last edited:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Ahhh... thanks for the info. The more you know...

We all live in the Android ecosystem yet we still have discussions about OEM skins. With the slew of launchers out there if all you can come up with is TW sucks then I'll throw this out there...stock Android is comical looking AND it is boring.

But it isn't just stock Android that is boring. It's every OEM skin out there. We have these beast phones now with 14nm SoCs, DDR4 RAM, Super LCD3 screens, and AMOLED quad HD screens and we are still stuck with generic 2009 GUI's. It's pathetic. And someone mentioned switching over to the golden standard?

The example shown in the video is my case and point. It's a bunch of fly in animations. That's what we have, still, after all these years.

So what do you think home screens and menus should look like?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
We should already be passed Jarvis-like functionality by now. I guess what I am looking for is a more fluid, predictive based, skinnable OS that has yet to exist. I think all of the pieces are there, but OEMs are primarily focused on visuals instead of expanding the meat and potatoes. Android gave us Material, iOS gave us a visual overhaul as well and that is where it stopped. Neither really expanded upon their last iteration of functionality on a mobile screen. They just made icons look different.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We should already be passed Jarvis-like functionality by now. I guess what I am looking for is a more fluid, predictive based, skinnable OS that has yet to exist. I think all of the pieces are there, but OEMs are primarily focused on visuals instead of expanding the meat and potatoes. Android gave us Material, iOS gave us a visual overhaul as well and that is where it stopped. Neither really expanded upon their last iteration of functionality on a mobile screen. They just made icons look different.
Good point.

Now I will say to your Jarvis point Google Now continues to expand. But I agree that there is still some ways to go to improve the ui.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wish Google now was more like siri or Cortana. Not that I want a phone with either of those os's but they're more conversational & fun. GN just spits info at you.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hi Cortana.. Where is the thumbs down button?

Hi cr6...... one moment please while I go find one!

anything else I can do for you? Make breakfast.. A cup of coffee?

Tapped by Big 6