Touchscreen responsiveness v iPod Touch...Whats the deal?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
NO ONE is as bad as an apple fanboy. I used to be one. I was an idiot.

okay. okay. you got me there.

from what I've seen on this forum, droid fans can come close though. ;D

Having just spent six hours upgrading to Windows 7 "Ultimate" on a PC (necessary because I had Vista Ultimate on the PC and I couldn't "upgrade" to the less expensive "Professional" Windows 7. I would have had to format the disk and install from scratch) I'm more than ready to become an Apple "fanboy."

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Sorry for the misinformation.:icon_eek:

'Tis not a problem at all, my friend...... Such is the purpose of a forum like this, so we can share info; learn from each other, and correct one another when we're wrong.... We all learn that way! :)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
HTC Hero would only beat the Droid framerate in that test because its half the resolution.

Want a real test?

Go download Ashpalt 5 from the market. It will chug on the N1, at 1ghz, and be pretty smooth on the Droid at 550mhz, and is flawless on 800mhz+.

Benchmarks are for hobbyists, not those concerned with real world performance.

Yup. Half the resolution, AND the benchmark is made for Qualcomm; so it is what's known as an optimized benchmark. A benchmark like this is only useful to compare a device of a certain type (HTC Hero, for instance) against other like devices - to determine whether it is performing correctly.

It's sort of like the PC gamers getting in flame wars over which video card gets the higher 3Dmark score.... Pretty much useless as far as real-world gameplay goes.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then why not use a GUI that uses the GPU? I'm asking because I am too lazy to look it up myself :happy:

Just speculating here, but perhaps because people like us that actually care are in the minority, and it's not worth the effort for Google to totally re-engineer the way the GUI is drawn? Again, just speculation.

I have not read much of the replies, but I am one that does not believe it is Android OS related. I have watched every video on the Incredible and do not see the jumping transition from screen to screen that the Droid has. I have probably watched 50 or so transitions without this issue. I say issue, but it really isn't. It is more of a burdence to some and not others. I have noticed it and it is a tad disapointing, but the rest of the phone more then compensates for it.

I believe the "jumping" transition is basically a side effect of how the Home "app" tries to synchronize the wallpaper movement with the transitioning home screen. They aren't 100% in sync, so it appears "jumpy". We have to put up with it in order to enjoy wallpapers that span across the multiple pages of the home screen. Remember, a (stock) iPhone doesn't have to transition a wallpaper across multiple screens. What is being perceived as "lag" really isn't; it's just a "messy" wallpaper transition. It is more noticable on certain wallpapers than on others.

Since the Incredible's SenseUI uses a totally different Home "app", it wouldn't be apt to show the same tendencies.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Agreed. Thats part of the reason 5,7,9 screen launchers seem smoother. Its because the wallpaper transition in the background is lessened. I wonder if Home++ is open source, I'd love to see how the dev turned off that feature.

chaosz3ro

Reaction score
NO ONE is as bad as an apple fanboy. I used to be one. I was an idiot.

okay. okay. you got me there.

from what I've seen on this forum, droid fans can come close though. ;D

Having just spent six hours upgrading to Windows 7 "Ultimate" on a PC (necessary because I had Vista Ultimate on the PC and I couldn't "upgrade" to the less expensive "Professional" Windows 7. I would have had to format the disk and install from scratch) I'm more than ready to become an Apple "fanboy."

sorry to hear you say that. :( Not sure what problems you had, but next time I would just format and install fresh instead of upgrading.