Touchscreen responsiveness v iPod Touch...Whats the deal?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuperCoolClos, Apr 21, 2010.

1. HwnDroid

HwnDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :popcorn: Can you guys pause it for a minute I need to go get more popcorn. :popcorn:

2. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected. Sorry for the misinformation.:icon_eek:

3. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This doesn't mean that the HTC Hero performs better than our droid's right? I'm starting to feel that maybe all these benchmarks aren't a really good comparison tool for different devices.

4. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    HTC Hero would only beat the Droid framerate in that test because its half the resolution.

Want a real test?

Go download Ashpalt 5 from the market. It will chug on the N1, at 1ghz, and be pretty smooth on the Droid at 550mhz, and is flawless on 800mhz+.

Benchmarks are for hobbyists, not those concerned with real world performance.

#52 adrynalyne, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  5. Champers

Champers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Widgets+More then twice the resolution in similar hardware...that's a tough one to figure out why the iPhone is smoother. You just earned yourself the runner up trophy.

6. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Then why not use a GUI that uses the GPU? I'm asking because I am too lazy to look it up myself :happy:

7. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have not read much of the replies, but I am one that does not believe it is Android OS related. I have watched every video on the Incredible and do not see the jumping transition from screen to screen that the Droid has. I have probably watched 50 or so transitions without this issue. I say issue, but it really isn't. It is more of a burdence to some and not others. I have noticed it and it is a tad disapointing, but the rest of the phone more then compensates for it.

8. adrynalyne

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Thats because you are comparing vanilla Android to Sense UI. Sense has a completely different scrolling algorithm. Switch to the stock home screen before comparing.

Compare stock Home launchers and you will find it quite different. Android has a ways to go before its of the same shine and polish as the stripped down version of OS X the iPhone runs, which has been around much longer. Couple with double the resolution, and NO 2d hardware acceleration for the GUI, things won't be a smooth.

9. darreno1

darreno1 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Nicely put and thanks for the info. It's nice to see some definite data on this recurring subject. So basically in a nutshell the iPhone's interface is like a 3d game, always using the GPU.

To those who prefer this type of interface:

IMO, and some hate to hear this, but you really should just get an iPhone if that's what you're after. Android will get smoother as the hardware specs and code improves but as you can see, it will require the use of a 3d API and new code. Not sure if that's going to happen anytime soon.

The Droid is smooth enough that this isn't even remotely a bother and Android's other strengths greatly outweigh this rather trivial issue (IMO). But obviously not everybody thinks this way hence these threads.

10. adrynalyne

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Run the same exact hardware at Droid resolution, then I would be impressed if it was still smooth.

This is just like games running choppy at high resolution, and running like a dream at 640x480.

Fanboyism runs both ways.

11. chaosz3ro

chaosz3ro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just saying that from my experiences of two iPhones and the droid, iPhone os was smoother, even on the 3g. Obviously resolution comes into play, but the difference is still there even on beefier hardware, from what I've seen of nexus one/incredible/etc. hands on videos. I'm sure once better hardware comes out and android starts taking advantage of that it will be just as smooth and responsive as iPhone os, or better.

It's sad how this thread turned into name calling though. Android fans can be just as bad as Apple fanboys sometimes I guess.

#59 chaosz3ro, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  12. jrl9851

jrl9851 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    NO ONE is as bad as an apple fanboy. I used to be one. I was an idiot.

Search tags for this page
ipod touch screen compared to android
ipod touch screen jumping

why do android touchscreens suck?