Touchscreen is completely useless while charging

M

Matth3w

Anyone have this problem? As in, you can't select anything for the life of you...I clicked on my SMS icon and it shut off bluetooth, for example.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Mine works fine, But others have reported the Droid having a mind of it own while being charged.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
This has been reported several times. The normal culprit is an incompatible charger or cable. If you're using the stock charger and cable than you most likely screwed something up if you were toying around lately (i.e. if it's a new issue you likely recently 'broke' something with a new mod). If you have a recent nano backup try restoring to it and see it that fixes it.

OP
M

Matth3w

Nah, I rarely talk or do anything on the phone while it's charging, tonight was really the first time as I was texting my wife when I got to my hotel but the battery had been drained from pissing with the phone while flying to pass time.

As for the charger, no it isn't the stock charger...however, the charger meets the standard specs of at or greater than 850mah and 5v.

speed_phreak

Reaction score
I use two different wall chargers, the one that came with the droid and the one that came with the entice. I also have a motorola rapid car charger.. I have NO issues...

Everyone that reports the issues you are experiencing are using off brand chargers...

I don't think motorola is sabotaging charger compatibility, i just think the capacitive screen is a little more sensitive.

OP
M

Matth3w

Why should it be different if you are within the proper specs? The only real spec that matters is 5v, the amperage of the charger really doesn't matter. If it's lower than the supplied 850mah, it will simply charge slower. If it's more, the phone is only going to draw what it needs.

speed_phreak

Reaction score
so are you using a motorola charger?

have you tried using a motorola charger?

does the issue exist when you use a motorola charger?

the end...

unclebill

Reaction score
The problem is AC ripple. There's a little AC mixed in with the DC voltage. If it's too high, it will do screwy things to electronics. Some chargers have better filtering than others. I've done engineering for radio stations for years and I've seen this problem with "store bought" chargers vs. manufacturer's chargers. Put a volt meter to the output and you'd be amazed at the difference. Some electronics are so sensitive that as little as one tenth of a volt above the tolerance specs will make them do wacky things. ALWAYS stick with the manufacturer's charger or at the very least purchase one that falls within specs. If the package says it's compatible with your device, than you should not have a problem.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem is AC ripple. There's a little AC mixed in with the DC voltage. If it's too high, it will do screwy things to electronics. Some chargers have better filtering than others. I've done engineering for radio stations for years and I've seen this problem with "store bought" chargers vs. manufacturer's chargers. Put a volt meter to the output and you'd be amazed at the difference. Some electronics are so sensitive that as little as one tenth of a volt above the tolerance specs will make them do wacky things. ALWAYS stick with the manufacturer's charger or at the very least purchase one that falls within specs. If the package says it's compatible with your device, than you should not have a problem.

COOL, finally a (seemingly) comprehensive answer to the problem(s). I know I have NOT heard of this happening with a stock/OEM charger so this sounds like a very reasonable explanation. Thank you unclebill for shedding some light on it for us.

I generally try to buy OEM peripherals whenever possible. I found both the car charger and AC adapter for only $4 on Amazon (yes, factory originals, not cheap knockoffs) you just have to shop around.

Last edited:
OP
M

Matth3w

The problem is, I travel consistently 3-4 weeks out of a month. I need something with more than one USB port on it. Show me a Motorola charger that has more than one USB port and I'd buy it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem is, I travel consistently 3-4 weeks out of a month. I need something with more than one USB port on it. Show me a Motorola charger that has more than one USB port and I'd buy it.

You may want to look into something like iGo. I just tried it with my older set and didn't have any trouble. They have several offerings depending on what your needs are and they are (or were) very good quality. You can also get them at Radio Shack (or could, haven't been in one for a while). I LOVED the convenience of it when I traveled. One power pack, several adapter, all in one little case and I can charge EVERYTHING, including several devices at once.

DroidDoc

Reaction score
shows what a wealth of info these forums provide, was just browsing but have this same issue, off to switch charging cables to see if helps. Thanks :icon_ banana:

OP
M

Matth3w

You may want to look into something like iGo. I just tried it with my older set and didn't have any trouble. They have several offerings depending on what your needs are and they are (or were) very good quality. You can also get them at Radio Shack (or could, haven't been in one for a while). I LOVED the convenience of it when I traveled. One power pack, several adapter, all in one little case and I can charge EVERYTHING, including several devices at once.

What I meant was that sometimes (like in the airport) I might need to charge more than one device at the same time. :(

xanthus1132

Reaction score
My brother has this same problem, where the screen goes crazy and starts clicking things when he isn't even touching it. He is using the stock charger given by motorola with the purchase of the new phone. Any idea on this now? He has performed a completely clean image nandroid restore and the problem persists. Defective oem charger perhaps?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I meant was that sometimes (like in the airport) I might need to charge more than one device at the same time. :(

They have an adapter that allows you to charge several devices (including a laptop) at once. I tried both of my adapters (bricks) this morning while charging other devices and the Droid charged flawlessly (no screen issue).