Touchdown and Strange Contact Behavior

kd8fre

Reaction score
I have installed the Touchdown app on my phone (Original Droid running stock 2.1).

When I use Dialer One to place a call, or Handcent to send a message, I select the contact, and it gives the usual popup asking which number to send it to, however, it shows all of my contact's numbers twice.

If I go into either the phone's contact app or the Touchdown app, the contacts all look fine.

Any Ideas?

REMilk

Reaction score
I bet you imported all your contacts into Touchdown, effectively doubling them, with a set in Touchdown and a set in Contacts. Dialer One may recognize both the data storage of both products so it sees two independent, but in reality a duplicated set.

Since I use Contacts for personal and Touchdown strictly for business, I have no duplicates.

Just a thought.
Bob

cbushnell

Reaction score
Your best bet is to go into gmail and merge duplicate contacts, I had imported all of my work contacts into my yahoo contacts which I then copied to my google contacts, your business outlook contacts will be the ones shown as your touchdown contacts. This will result in lots of duplicates... The merge function in gmail works very well.

OP
K

kd8fre

Reaction score
Thanks for both of your replies.
A couple questions that have arisen from them:
I have indeed copied the contacts from touchdown to the contacts app using the "Copy to Phone" option in touchdown.
If I delete them from the contacts app, does the phone pull from touchdown for the caller ID?
How do I delete them from the contacts app?
My phone does not sync with Google, everything goes through my Exchange Server.

Thanks Again!

cbushnell

Reaction score
Try logging into the gmail account you created when you activated your phone and look at contacts there to see if there are duplicates there. Unless you have specifically set up your phone to not sync with gmail it may be the source of the problem.

OP
K

kd8fre

Reaction score
Try logging into the gmail account you created when you activated your phone and look at contacts there to see if there are duplicates there. Unless you have specifically set up your phone to not sync with gmail it may be the source of the problem.

The phone is specifically setup to not sync to Gmail. The only thing on this phone that syncs is Touchdown.

OP
K

kd8fre

Reaction score
Ok, i have another question. If I delete the contacts from the phone app, and do not sync them back from touchdown, is there a way to get the caller ID to pull from touchdown?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You might want to ask in the Nitrodesk Google Group. Your situation is fairly specific and odds of finding others here with the same arrangement may be unlikely.

It seems like it should work based on prior experience but recently I found I had to use native sync to get my Exchange contacts in the device phonebook as well as in Touchdown for some reason...

dunham_john

Reaction score
Touchdown is overly specific?

You might want to ask in the Nitrodesk Google Group. Your situation is fairly specific and odds of finding others here with the same arrangement may be unlikely.

It seems like it should work based on prior experience but recently I found I had to use native sync to get my Exchange contacts in the device phonebook as well as in Touchdown for some reason...

I also have the same situation and had it on my Droid X, the X2, and the Droid 3... all with Touchdown. Its as if each directory thinks they it is the only directory, so integration is lacking. I would love to be able to sync EVERYTHING into Touchdown, so I wouldn't have to hunt for contacts. If I could do this through google, then back to Touchdown, I would be fine with that... The only challenge is that I have over 2000 contacts and can't do it piecemeal.

Anyone solve this with Touchdown as the final repository? I'm sending a blog link to [email protected] now :)