touch sensor on screen doesn't seem to work as well

TinaMarie

Reaction score
I've noticed over the last two days that when I go to enter in my screen code to unlock the screen, the pattern is not being read correctly...like it's only reading one or two circles. After consistently trying, watching only certain circles light up, all of sudden it will unlock. When I try to select a certain app, it won't open...the screen/app displays will start shaking back and forth and my selection won't register. It's like it's trying to process what to do and it does eventually but only after what I described above.

I've restarted, popped the battery out, restarted, made sure I had full charge...etc...anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

moonnite

Reaction score
two questions

1 - do you have gloves on? lol

2 - do you have screen protector on? if so remove it and see if the screen is more responsive, protoectors have small effect on the captive screens normally and the privacy protectors are normal much worse

OP
T

TinaMarie

Reaction score
Haha...no gloves! :)

...and no screen protectors, either...

After I posted this issue, my phone went back to normal. Nothing as far as what I described earlier. Frustrating and a little weird. This whole thing that described is the second time it's happened since getting the Droid when it came out.

moonnite

Reaction score
weird

well, umm... how about long fingernails? lol

does the way you hold the phone effect it at all, like using the front tips of your fingers or the edge on the side ???

also next time it acts up with the screen see if someone else notices the same issue with their touch, and is this only ever noticed on the passsword dots screen?

i cant imagine a task killer killing something the unlock pattern needs but do you have any programs running all the time in the background?

mdkreh

Reaction score
Screen Seems Jumpy

I ran into this same issue, and maybe someone else can reproduce the same problem.

1. Connect your USB cable from the Droid to your computer.
2. Turn on USB Storage
3. See if your screen is less responsive now, even jumpy.

When I try to hold down on an icon to remove it from my desktop, either it does not select it or it picks it up and shakes it around (even though my finger stays on the same spot on the screen the whole time)

This seems like a bug that should be easy to verify. It is easy enough for me to disconnect the USB cable to remedy the problem... but avoiding a problem does not make it go away.

Is this a software or a hardware problem though... that's the real question.

captdroid

Reaction score
I ran into this same issue, and maybe someone else can reproduce the same problem.

1. Connect your USB cable from the Droid to your computer.
2. Turn on USB Storage
3. See if your screen is less responsive now, even jumpy.

When I try to hold down on an icon to remove it from my desktop, either it does not select it or it picks it up and shakes it around (even though my finger stays on the same spot on the screen the whole time)

This seems like a bug that should be easy to verify. It is easy enough for me to disconnect the USB cable to remedy the problem... but avoiding a problem does not make it go away.

Is this a software or a hardware problem though... that's the real question.

I am having the same problem when the USB plugged in or the wall charger plugged in on my Droid. Any Dev's know why this is happening?

DroidSnob

Reaction score
There are reports of these problems all over the internet. It seems that as the Droid gets past it's year warranty, these problems start to appear. Claims of screen protectors, after market chargers, and dirty screens causing this are misleading. I have none of those and I have the exact same problem as described above. It's likely a defect in the device itself that only appears after about a year of use. Conveinant.

Motorola is not acknowledging this problem publicly but I urge you to call 1-800-331-6456 to report it and request a new phone. The dangerous game Motorola is playing here is not realizing that as phone expense goes up (New Every Two is gone), our phone choice becomes more critical. Why would I invest more money into another expensive Motorola when Apple will replace their iPhones without hesitation? I'm likely to try an HTC first, but still, Motorola is going to lose business.