Touch screen went wacky. Is there a fix?

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I've since updated to an X2, but my OG Droid is in a drawer. I had to upgrade because the touch screen started "touching itself", and then sometimes the left side wouldn't respond to touch.

I have experience opening phones up and repairing them. Is there a known fix?

wildbiehl

Reaction score
mine did that a few times, turned out to be the kernel I was using

helluvaman

Reaction score
Probably Moisture

Mine was a moisture issue... It was possessed and found out there was a slight bit of moisture under the glass. I slid the thing open, took out the battery and put it under a hairdryer, on high, for 15 minutes. It was hot to the touch... closed the slide, put in the battery and haven't had any trouble since...

I've since updated to an X2, but my OG Droid is in a drawer. I had to upgrade because the touch screen started "touching itself", and then sometimes the left side wouldn't respond to touch.

I have experience opening phones up and repairing them. Is there a known fix?

shagmaster473

Reaction score
Digitizer replacement.

Mine was a moisture issue... It was possessed and found out there was a slight bit of moisture under the glass. I slid the thing open, took out the battery and put it under a hairdryer, on high, for 15 minutes. It was hot to the touch... closed the slide, put in the battery and haven't had any trouble since...

Mine started this and I did the remove battery, hair dryer, lay on dash of truck in sun for a month or more till only the center of my screen would work. Ordered a new digitizer from Ebay ($20), watched youtube video on how to replace and did it (took me about an hour, had to take it apart twice because of connection for digitizer didn't make). Works like new.

shagmaster473

Reaction score
Only for 15 to 20 mins. Not for long periods of time. But using the hair drier on it is OK? It would work fine a day or two before it would act up again. Just saying what I did to fix my Droid after the screen went haywire.

Last edited:

PaNdAz

Reaction score
The same thing happend to me so I sent it in through best buy and got it. A year later the same thing happened again execpt the whole right part os the screen dosnt respond and neither does the home button or the search button.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
D

DJTURNz

Reaction score
When it started, I read on here about moisture and what not. We have a hot room at work. 100F and no humidity. I put it in there for 4 hours. No luck. Its just sitting in my sock drawer now. I may have to buy a digitizer and try it out.

PaNdAz

Reaction score
I've read on other forums that the only way to fix this issue is to change the digitizer but I don't trust my self to take apart my only phone.

OP
D

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I put the new digitizer in. With a youtube video for help the job isn't too bad. Though I used to refurb and repair phones for a living. I can tell you it's gotten much tighter in there than it was 6 years ago. The Digitizer ribbon cable is a pain.

And now my DROID blew up the charger, so I must have something crossed in there.

The screen works good now though.

PaNdAz

Reaction score
That's good. But I still trust myself to take apart my DROID. I've taken apart my playstation and missed piece. And I don't want that to happen then the phone to blow up in my face.

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
It's most likely a moisture issue. I had all sorts of problems with the screen after keeping it in my pocket at work all day sweating. Air dry for 15-30 minutes and all is fine until next time it gathers moisture. Just keep letting it air dry in a cool dry place (which is hard to find here in Houston, Texas).

PaNdAz

Reaction score
Its not a moisture issue. It started when I rooted my phone. Then I unrooted it and the problem didn't go away.

demiris

Reaction score
Same problem!

I've been having the same problem since updating to Gingerbread a few weeks ago. I tried factory reset, which seemed to help the problem of the screen randomly jumping around and "touching itself" lol but the rightmost side of the screen is unresponsive. My digitizer was replaced over the summer, but I haven't had an issue with it until the update. I am 99% certain that it is not a moisture issue.