Touch screen suddenly inaccurate; goes crazy

delaen

Reaction score
I bought a third party charger and experience the same touch screen inaccuracies when it's plugged in. When I remove it from the charger it immediately begins working properly again.

Dream

Reaction score
I have a similar issue but I dont think it has anything to do with the charger. Ill touch the screen to select something and it will scroll all the way up or down super fast. I just figured it was some kind of OS bug.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I notice that the screen calibration for the droid is not nearly as good as my Itouch....I have to always touch just slightly above what I want.

Is there no calibration sequence at all?

cal2vin

Reaction score
When I have my droid plugged into my laptops USB port with the laptop being plugged into the wall charger my screen goes nuts. But when I unplug my computer charger and let it run on the battery the droids screen works fine. Could it be possibly getting too much power from the USB port when the computer is plugged into the wall?

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
One issue I have had like this in the past with my Droid and laptop was due to the AC adapter not being properly grounded- usually a car inverter or such. Perhaps this is related? My Voyager would lock and unlock itself constantly when not grounded.

frapell

Reaction score
I'm having this exact same issue with my Milestone... but i'm pretty sure is some software related issue, since if i turn the phone upside down, it works fine... by upside down i mean the screen facing the floor...

don_813

Reaction score
make sure your screen is dry. when my screen is wet it goes insanzies

SEGA

Reaction score
Was it plugged in for charging when you try the screen? I have a charger plugged in and when I try to enter the security pattern it never selects what I touch, when I unplug it it works fine

Ya, Some third party chargers cause the Moto Droid to act up.

I got a cheap case & charger package from Amazon.com for like $0.25 with $2.50 shipping, needless to say the charger charges, but makes my Droid act like I'm touching all the points of my screen at once, trying to unlock is pointless when it's plugged in.

Don't use the charger for my Droid anymore, it works great on LG Dare now.

snoobler

Reaction score
Motorolla Droid.

I've had touch screen issues as well.

Initially, the touch screen search button wouldn't work and the entire right side was inconsistent.

Screen behaved erratically and would quiver, twitch and select on-screen at random.

Eventually, the back button and left side of the touch screen started to behave unreliably as well.

I noted that it appeared to get worse when the phone got a little warm-not much, just a little.

I decided it might be moisture related. It lives in my pocket and has spent time with me in humid environments. I left it on the dash in my car in the Phoenix heat for about an hour. It was too hot to touch.

After the phone cooled down, it worked perfectly even when it gets warm from normal use.

Good luck.

Cuber

Reaction score
Hey,

Got my Droid on Friday. Today suddenly I notice it's extremely inaccurate (touching the center activates a button at the top or bottom, for instance). I downloaded the free "Draw" application which confirms this: dragging left-to-right across the center creates what looks like a heart monitor, with spikes way to the top and bottom of the screen.

I thought perhaps it was the plastic case on front or the protective sheet film I bought which has been on since the unboxing, but lo and behold no, same problems without those on.

Unforuntately it isn't consistent. It will work fine for a few minutes then go crazy again. I guess I'll have to take it into a Verizon store to see if they'll give me a replacement, anything else you think I should try? (I've already power cycled the phone several times). The phone has never been dropped, I've been taking good care of it.

Other ideas (like recalibration methods?) you can think of? I should expect Verizon to fix/replace this for free, right?

Thanks

What worked for me was to open the back of my HTC Droid Incredible and tighten the torx screws in the corners. Three of them were not at all tight. After that - no more troubles! I think, perhaps, the connection to the touch screen goes bad if things are not tight. I hope this helps all of you too.

I had this exact problem about a week after I got my Dinc on line. I checked around various forums and have found no convincing help. Then I investigated and found the loose screws. Adds a whole new concept to one's have a few loose screws, eh?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Thanks for sharing.