Touch Screen Smooth?

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Now that you have had the phone for a while wondering what everyone thinks about the touch screen, especially anyone coming from an iphone? I went to a verizon store tonight and played around with the droid. While browsing it didnt seem quite as responsive as I thought it should. When I would scroll down, the pages just didnt seem to be as smooth as the eris did. Was this just a problem with the floor model? How do the ex iphoners compare the droid and iphone when it comes to this feature. Maybe it was just a crappy version on the floor. It had been updated though because it had the new unlock screen. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on this.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I always thought the touchscreen was great. Too sensitive at first since i wasn't used to it, but i'm adjusted. Then i put my Invisible Shield on, so it had a bit more grip, but got used to it and felt no sensitivity was sacrificed.

As for comparisons, the Eris has a more polished OS, 2.0 or 2.0.1 now still has it's bugs. Only some webpages are not smooth, but everything else from my contacts to a file explorer, pretty darn smooth.

Lovin this phone and it only gets better with age

Underdog311

Reaction score
I changed over from an iPhone and while at first I thought it was just as good as the iPhone, I actually was using my sisters iPhone the other day and realized how good it really is. Don't get me wrong, droid has a top notch touchscreen and I am very happy with it, but if I had to chose I would pick iPhone. Its really close though.

Having said that, the longer I have the droid, the better it is all around over the iPhone. I am so happy with this phone!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And as for the iPhone, everyone says it's more polished as well. I've personally never really interacted with an iPhone, yes really, with the millions out right now i have yet to pick one up, even my friends' iPhones. But you also have to think of it this way, 2.0 is not perfected yet, the hardware is brand new and the screen probably isn't built as high quality in terms of touch interaction, blows the iPhones resolution out the water though.

Underdog311

Reaction score
Yeah the resolution difference is noticeable, especially after playing with an iPhone again.

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Ya I have messed around with an iphone and ipod touch and their touch screens are ridiculous when it comes to how responsive they are. Other than that though from what I have seen I would go with the droid. I was just wondering what you former iphone users thought about that? I didnt know if maybe the droid floor model might be acting like a typical floor model and not as good as the one you actually get when you buy it. Or is the touch screen still need a slight little update?I could just be nit picking but when you scroll down on a droid it seems to have a very slight delay and be just a bit hesitant as you scroll the browser pages up or down. It is very SLIGHT but I thought noticeable. I know its new and will get better but that is the only thing I could find that was just a tad bit behind the iphone. Other than that Im sold.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The one at the store probably had a bunch of apps running which uses memory and slows down the phone of course. So that could be a possible explanation of the lag and why it was twitchy.

You should be on 2.0.1 now, if you do own the phone, but the difference in responsiveness and how smooth it is from 2.0 is noticeable. Like we've all agreed on, this phone only gets better with time

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Oh ya I didnt even think about it having a bunch of apps working in the background and who knows what people were messing with the settings.

R1Lover

Reaction score
For touch sensitivity you can't beat the iphone, I have been an iphone user for the last 3 years, with that said the Driod is the closest you can come to the iphone screen sensitivity that I have found.

I would not go back to the iphone and I love the driod, but apple did it right on the screen touch sensitivity for sure.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
iPhone revolutionized touchscreen technology in phones if you ask me. They even made smartphones main stream and set the bar. I give Apple huge credit, but I just don't like their products. Everything feels so controlled by Apple that I feel would have no freedom. I hate iPods and I despise iTunes, bad personal experiences? Probably, but I just don't like Apple products, but I can see why it's so mainstream and liked.

If anyone, Motorola and Google, are the closest competitors. HTC could've been there if they would drop WinMo already, and as a WinMo fan, I find Android far superior. HTC phones are indeed powerhouses, but I want a phone, not a mini computer like what I had with my Tilt. The Android has the capabilities of a small computer, but it feels like a phone. The Android OS is "young" and definitely here to stay. Google/Android is the future of mobile smart phones if you ask me.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on this.
There's a difference but it's nowhere even near to being a deal breaker IMO. Android's flexibility and lack of draconian apps approval are just a couple of features that trump the touch screen issue. Sure, it would be a plus for it to be better.

Meadowlands

Reaction score
I am a new droid user coming from both an iphone and HTC Raphael. I find the droid to be vastly superior over both. The iphone is nice but too restrictive. The Raphael is very customizable, but WM, even 6.5, is not so great. I think the droids features more than make up for the very small difference in screen sensitivity. I also find the android market to be very well done.

I have always been a fan of motorola and have been waiting for a good device to come out and this is the one.

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Is the performance of the touch screen upgradable through the updates? If thats the case, then you know it will get better and better. The iphone has been out for how long? Im starting to see that the droid is pretty close and it just came out. I would think over time it will only get better and just as good.