Touch screen misbehaves when charging Droid

boputnam

Reaction score
I searched for this, but didn't find anything.

When charging, my touchscreen misbehaves - it is almost unusable. The screen "sees" my finger in places it isn't (off by cm), and also is unresponsive and erratic. The symptoms stop immediately when I unplug the charger.

Anyone else experience this? Any work-arounds?

Thanks.

OP
boputnam

boputnam

Reaction score
heem...

Rogue Droid - HUGE ISSUE!!!!

You may be right. Although, my charger is not third-party, it is the Moto MV9MTC, with the micro-USB. Output DC 4.1V - 12.5V, so should have been fine.

The supplied Moto SPN5504A has DC output 5.1V, but with an inconveniently short 1m cord. It lives in my briefcase; the other is used at home. I'll try this one and see if the symptoms recur, and report back.

Thanks.

heem

Reaction score
heem...

Rogue Droid - HUGE ISSUE!!!!

You may be right. Although, my charger is not third-party, it is the Moto MV9MTC, with the micro-USB. Output DC 4.1V - 12.5V, so should have been fine.

The supplied Moto SPN5504A has DC output 5.1V, but with an inconveniently short 1m cord. It lives in my briefcase; the other is used at home. I'll try this one and see if the symptoms recur, and report back.

Thanks.

I would go to the verizon store.. simply tell them your charger doesnt work and see if they'll swap it out. Don't get into the jumpy screen and all that - they won't understand.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
this has been posted about in a bunch of different places (and here, in some older forum posts). (mine does it too, so i read them all)

i thought my touchscreen was f-d till i realized it only did it plugged in, blah blah blah.

try touching the metal frame of the droid while the screen is jumping (with the same finger or another one..) or unplug the cable while the screen is jumping. both stop it.

in short - it's not the droid, but no, you're not going crazy (i thought my eyes were tricking me the first time it happened)

edited to add:
try searching for "droid screen freaks out when plugged in" or something like that - that's how i found the above info...

Last edited:

cassy

Reaction score
Help - My Droid phone has been taken over - how do I fix -

Even when I turned the phone OFF, it turned itself back on!!!
And it added junk to my texts too. It was as if somebody else was in the phone launching things, pushing random buttons, repeatedly making calls.

Finally, I took the entire battery off of the phone. What else can I do?
How do I get my normal phone usage back? I'm on a work trip and now have...NO phone for 2 days? aaargh

jev

Reaction score
Even when I turned the phone OFF, it turned itself back on!!!
And it added junk to my texts too. It was as if somebody else was in the phone launching things, pushing random buttons, repeatedly making calls.

Finally, I took the entire battery off of the phone. What else can I do?
How do I get my normal phone usage back? I'm on a work trip and now have...NO phone for 2 days? aaargh

Check the link in post #2. Also, if your phone is hooked to the charger and you turn it off, it will restart.

OP
boputnam

boputnam

Reaction score

Using the supplied charger (only) remedied the touchscreen symptoms. So, there must be very sensitive voltage specifications of the power supply / battery. That also explains why our battery life ends so abruptly - much like those 9v square batteries - they don't fade, they truck along fine until they abruptly fall off a cliff...

lukestanley

Reaction score
capacitive touchscreen: known issue

I don't think this is a charger issue, but instead a general issue with capacitive touch screens (which require two clear ground paths). I've seen this problem on non-Droid devices too, e.g. iTouch.

I'm guessing that if you hold the Droid in one hand (making sure to have good electrical contact with the case back), that you will (likely!) find that there is no touch screen issue; even when it is charging.

I think it also helps to place the Droid on a grounded metal surface: so yet another experiment is to place the charging Droid on a metal table.

OP
boputnam

boputnam

Reaction score
Thanks, but none of that relates to my symptoms. Others here were right - my symptoms all disappeared when I reverted back to the supplied charger interface. Droid is very sensitive to specific charger output V and mA - she appears to have low tolerance for substitutions.

funken_a

Reaction score
I just removed my body glove hardshell protector. With my hand laying flat on the back of the droid the screen jumpies are significantly reduced while charging. (No problems when not charging)

It appears to be a grounding issue conflict with the charger. I am using a verizon charger.

Thanks for the tip in this thread. Thought I just confirm what I found dancedroid

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I don't think this is a charger issue, but instead a general issue with capacitive touch screens (which require two clear ground paths). I've seen this problem on non-Droid devices too, e.g. iTouch.

I'm guessing that if you hold the Droid in one hand (making sure to have good electrical contact with the case back), that you will (likely!) find that there is no touch screen issue; even when it is charging.

I think it also helps to place the Droid on a grounded metal surface: so yet another experiment is to place the charging Droid on a metal table.

I disagree. Virtually every report of this problem has been cured by going back to the supplied OEM charger. It has everything to do with the charger. No matter how I hold mine while charging with a non-OEM charger it continues to geek out. It isn't even an isolated event, it's guaranteed to happen with any charger that doesnt provide exactly the voltage and current the droid wants.

grenade01

Reaction score
Ive had my droidx about a month. Sixth one as I've had massive problems with every single one. This was the first one working beautifully finally... and it just developed this problem. I have three chargers all the proper motorola droid x one (one for home one for work and one for my car) ive tried the wall as well as usb. This is not a charger issue for me.

In addition to what was described above
when I plug it into PC/USB only it doesnt appear to take any charge at all and when i unplug it the USB connected message as well as the charging animation both continue until I reboot or plug it into a wall charger.

Weird...
Ive just about had it with this phone
I thought 6 was going to be the lucky one
:(