Touch screen is dead!!!

droid-resha

Reaction score
I have had my Moto Droid for about 3 months now, I have only dropped it 2 times, the last time was 2 days ago. this morning it was working fine, went into a meeting and 2 hours later the screen was locked and none of the touch features work. I tried rebooting (had to use the D pad to shut down), tried removing the battery, tried combinations of removing the battery with time powered off. it boots up and the screen is locked and doesn't respond. I called the phone and it rings, but doesn't even show the slide to answer. the phone is not rooted, but is running helix launcher. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ChugIt

Reaction score
I have had my Moto Droid for about 3 months now, I have only dropped it 2 times

I have had my Droid since launch day and I can honestly say that I have NEVER dropped my Droid.

At any rate, if there are no physical "drop marks" aka scratches I would just use my warranty and get a replacement. Droid fumbling is a sin! :icon_evil:

OP
droid-resha

droid-resha

Reaction score
Dropping

I know, I chastised myself for an hour, doing sit-ups and push-ups. But I had it hooked to my belt clip and got out of the truck and it dove for the pavement. I do have it wrapped in a body glove cover to offer additional protection.

ChugIt

Reaction score
So I suggest flashing SPRecovery and starting over. However, make sure you install stock 2.0.1. If you install a ROM and it don't boot they will see you rooted and not honor the warranty. If that fails just try the warranty route I suppose. Good luck man, I hate hearing stories like this. Poor Droid....

bpad10

Reaction score
So I suggest flashing SPRecovery and starting over. However, make sure you install stock 2.0.1. If you install a ROM and it don't boot they will see you rooted and not honor the warranty. If that fails just try the warranty route I suppose. Good luck man, I hate hearing stories like this. Poor Droid....

Although this is probably irrelevant to your problem, I have had problems where it seems VERY delayed or slow and sometime unresponsive. I have quite a few apps on my phone and, for whatever reason, clearing the cache from the apps seems to help.

OP
droid-resha

droid-resha

Reaction score
dont know how to flash recovery, and as for the apps, there has been know sluggish behavior, i am a bit anal about keeping it clean, if i dont use an app for a week i uninstall it.

and the problem now is I cannot get into the thing to do anything.

I called verizon and they are sending me a new one, but now I am hating the idea of starting over, trying to remember the apps I have, and pictures, what about all my pictures, my daughter and I were in Fla at sea world this past week and I took pics, that I had not yet DLed to my laptop yet!!! this is really sucking!

ChugIt

Reaction score
Good news....

Droid saves all your pics and videos to the SD card. Pop in your current SD into the new Droid and tada, no lost memories of you and your princess at Sea World! I hope this cheers you up a lil more!

P.S. Take the battery out and you'll see where you can pull out the SD card. Leave it there until you get your new Droid, don't wanna lose it! :)

OP
droid-resha

droid-resha

Reaction score
thanks, the tec support guy at verizon said the same thing, but I dont fully trust guys that work for the company store. he also said that the app store has all my currently installed apps saved there under my gmail account, so re installing my latest apps will be easy too. so now I am just going thru droid withdrawal for the next 2 days, waiting on the FED-EX truck. and the minutes are already turning into hours.

ChugIt

Reaction score
I feel ya man. The tech was correct though (for a change). I use a program called ShareMyApps and email myself a list (market links included) of my apps periodically. It makes it so easy to just grab everything quickly. I know waiting sucks but at least you'll be all set in a couple of days!