Touch screen doesn't respond unless DI in hand?

GoRovers

Reaction score
When my DI is lying flat on a table, or resting in a cradle, the capacitive touch screen doesn't respond nearly as well to my finger touches as when I'm holding the phone with in my hand. Any insight why this is so?

mtorio83

Reaction score
When my DI is lying flat on a table, or resting in a cradle, the capacitive touch screen doesn't respond nearly as well to my finger touches as when I'm holding the phone with in my hand. Any insight why this is so?
I don't know why that happens...but I've experienced the same thing.

OP
G

GoRovers

Reaction score
Straight down finger pressure to click an icon is okay when the DI is flat on a table, but not as good as when I'm holding the DI in my hand. The biggest issue is poor touch screen response during the swipe-to-unlock when I'm not holding the device. Would like to hear any possible reasons / solutions.

Mark_Venture

Reaction score
I haven't noticed a difference when holding my Inc vs when its laying on my desk..

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Straight down finger pressure to click an icon is okay when the DI is flat on a table, but not as good as when I'm holding the DI in my hand. The biggest issue is poor touch screen response during the swipe-to-unlock when I'm not holding the device. Would like to hear any possible reasons / solutions.
you don't have to swipe down the slide bar to unlock the device, just press the menu button, it does the same thing.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
mines works perfectly fine unlocking it while on my desk here at work... no hesitation at all.

Somewhere (maybe here) I"ve seen a video that supports what you've been saying and I think I've seen this while my DI was in the cradle! How odd!

Yes I believe it is a grounding issue because if it is plugged into a charger (car or wall) or you take your other index finger and touch the side of it, it seems to work perfectly, but the minute you unplug the charger or take your index finger off the side of it the screen becomes unresponsive again.

SubMatrix

Reaction score
i actually just noticed this same issue last night after applying my steinheil crystal clear. I was testing out the feel of the protector on the screen and noticed that when it was sitting flat on my desk if i lightly swiped my finger on the screen to do my unlock code, it would sometimes not work. Pressing a little harder made it work fine, and holding the phone in my hand made it flawless regardless of finger pressure.

Problem is i didnt really test it before i put the protector on so I dont know if the 2 events are related.

b00m3rang

Reaction score
Mine has no problems whatsoever: [video=youtube;Xc53_DJ1piw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc53_DJ1piw]YouTube - Droid Incredible-Touchscreen Test (Unresponsive?)[/video]

deftdrummer

Reaction score
I can confirm I too have the same problem only with my Droid X. I thought I was losing my mind, or the screen was defective. Fortunately (I guess) the problem doesn't look to be limited to my phone.

The screen is so unresponsive that the phone is unusable on a desk while trying to type. I think the grounding issue is the closest thing we have to a solution.

I can confirm that this problem happens to my phone only when plugged into a DC outlet using the wall charger.

alexanderl

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue, and it seems to be caused by the device not being "grounded". The issue is pretty weird, I found out about it here: Uh-Oh, EVO Screen Problems | AndroidGuys

When my phone is laying flat on the table, it takes more pressure to unlock and even tap any buttons/apps. BUT should I touch the back with my fingers or hold it in the exact same position in my palm, the screen becomes very responsive again. Try it and see if it's the same for you.

nhirsch

Reaction score
My Verizon Incredible has this problem. When plugged in, touchscreen is disabled. Unplug the power connection and it works fine. I've noticed this on various adapters both AC and DC. It has some kind of problem, I don't know if it's fixable.