Touch screen acts weird while charging

purpfiction

Reaction score
whenever i have the device plugged into via USB it doesn't respond well to touch based commands. anyone else deal with this??

zirkdog

Reaction score
BIONIC does this too. I searched around and found somewhere that it's one of those "known issues. "

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Caren4u2

Reaction score
I always experience difficulty with the touchscreen, when I am charging...period, especially when battery life gets above 80%.

NiteCloak

Reaction score
When plugged in the electrons in your device become super excited, and unable to contain themselves, bounce up under your touchscreen, screaming "Yeah!" (you can hear them if you put your ear real close). This agitation effect of the touchscreen causes temporary inaccuracy and instability.

[Disclaimer: Not a real tech response]

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
When plugged in the electrons in your device become super excited, and unable to contain themselves, bounce up under your touchscreen, screaming "Yeah!" (you can hear them if you put your ear real close). This agitation effect of the touchscreen causes temporary inaccuracy and instability.

[Disclaimer: Not a real tech response]

Funny but you're not that far off. It's due to a combination of fluctuations in line current which translate into variances in the voltages being supplied to the battery, and any lack of proper filtering of that charging voltage by lower quality chargers, coupled with the battery current draw which also fluctuates as it's charging. These variances all confuse the circuitry that monitors capacitance levels of the digitizer surface and fools it into thinking your finger is somewhere it is not or thinking it's moving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
P

purpfiction

Reaction score
Funny but you're not that far off. It's due to a combination of fluctuations in line current which translate into variances in the voltages being supplied to the battery, and any lack of proper filtering of that charging voltage by lower quality chargers, coupled with the battery current draw which also fluctuates as it's charging. These variances all confuse the circuitry that monitors capacitance levels of the digitizer surface and fools it into thinking your finger is somewhere it is not or thinking it's moving.

The more you know!

Robotics

Reaction score
Get your phone away from any RF would be my first suggestion. Curious if you are using the USB cord that came with the phone or some other after market cable. If you plug it into the wall charger, with the same USB cord, does it still happen? And if it still happens are you using the charging adapter that came with the phone?

Reaction score
im not the person you are asking... but yes to all of the above with all stock cord, plug, ect.

also had this happen with the OG and DX. Seems to just be "one of those things"

bsmith0731

Reaction score
It could happen when your power source doesn't have the recommended juice to charge your phone.

I'm very use to this with my iPhone when it's plugged into a weak inverter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

B

bens42608

My BIONIC does this too. I can't type a text while it's plugged in because it's like a ghost is tapping his fingers around on my keyboard.

OP
P

purpfiction

Reaction score
Interesting enough when I use my 3 foot kindle charger to charge my phone it works fine...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Get your phone away from any RF would be my first suggestion. Curious if you are using the USB cord that came with the phone or some other after market cable. If you plug it into the wall charger, with the same USB cord, does it still happen? And if it still happens are you using the charging adapter that came with the phone?

RFI (radio frequency interference) can certainly cause this too, but the greater cause is the charger blocks themselves. I have charger blocks from many different manufacturers which I've collected or bought at yard sales, including Apple, HP, Jawbone, LG, Motorola,Plantroncs, RIM (Blackberry), & Verizon, as well as several no-name ones, and nearly all create "ghost touching", though by far the Motorola charger creates the least.

And to address the second part, I use the original cable in most cases, although I will often use a shielded USB extension, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I will do further testing to confirm or deny.

Last edited:

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Try buying a charger with different voltage too much voltage or too little cab cause this

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
P

purpfiction

Reaction score
I will test my stock charger with my IMP1000 tomorrow and see how that affects it.