Touch Screen Acting up - Water Damage? Pls help.

electricnik

Reaction score
My touch screen has been acting up...sometimes not responding, and most recently with a battery pull/reset, I got it to respond but it started to act hyper and emitting a buzzing sound.

Not sure if this is the result of some moisture getting in. I picked up the phone when I was still sweating from the gym.

When I look at the water damage indicator, I see red X's in the circle, but I also still see white. I also see red X's on the sticker that's on the top side of the battery.

Can anyone please confirm if this is water damage or if this is the way the stickers look from factory? If so, anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do, or did I just get f-d out of $300+? Bought the phone 9 days ago.

Reaction score
When I had my first Droid, those red Xs were there. I am no sure about the water damage. I replaced my droid and they did not say anything about the red Xs so it must be fine. I doubt a little sweat from your palm would triggers the sticker unless it was directly on it. I would take it back and get an exchange because the screen should not make a noise what so ever. Sounds like a dud.

OP
E

electricnik

Reaction score
Ok, thx blackjoker. so you're saying that red X's is not necessarily the indicator for water damage. I know that Verizon uses this as their last line of defense sometimes so I am preparing for the worst case scenario when I take the trip to my nearest vzw store this evening.

btw - the screen itself wasn't buzzing, but the phone was. also the pull up full menu was going crazy, pulling up and down, up and down...random "ghost" touches apparantly were opening apps and dialing numbers. very odd. this was after my 3rd or 4th battery pull with the touch screen not working before that.

Reaction score
I am not saying that the sticker was not tripped. I am saying that mine was like that on my 1st Droid and i have yet to check on my second (don't want to take the plastic case off...such a pain). There is a thread around here or on Android Forums about the red Xs. I would just take it in and tell them the keyboard is messing up. Make sure not to resolve the issue with a pull before you go in there to show them what is going on. Maybe someone else can shed more light on the Xs.

Smuuth

Reaction score
The NORMAL state of the moisture indicators is white with red X's. If the indicator has been exposed to moisture it will be solid red.

OP
E

electricnik

Reaction score
sigh of relief!!! :clap::clap:

thanks Smuuth. will let u guys know if there are any issues at vzw store.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
When wet they actually turn pinkish, more than red. Red X's is normal, though.

abennion

Reaction score
I've run into this same issue. The phone has never been dropped in water, but there is a strip of area that does not respond (which unfortunately includes the menu button). I may have been a bit sweaty when using it, but nothing unusual. I would have thought the screen would be a little more robust.

Last edited:

Chrisbert

Reaction score
I've had the same problem develop on my Droid. Problem is, I've had to suspend my service, and making payments on the bill to catch up. When I get paid up and service back on, am I going to be able to exchange this?

Mjs182004

Reaction score
Mine has been acting up exactly like yours. I went up to my Verizon store and they are replacing it with a refurbished one that I should be getting in the mail Friday. They didn't give me a problem, so hopefully you get as lucky as I did.

flyer05

Reaction score
Damn, Mine is doing the same, just going spastic. I thought I got a wet issue but I guess not (just white with a red X showing). So I ordered a charge. Damn I hope it recovers so I can hold off getting another phone, I really like this one ( rooted } and new phones are coming out shortly.