Touch android to begin screen.

alitke

Reaction score
Sold my Droid 1 to a guy last week and he just received it in the mail today. It was rooted and running a custom ROM. I sent him the phone and today he tells me when the phone boots it says "touch android" but when he tries and touch it nothing happens. Literally the only thing that has changed is that the phone no longer has an SD card. Would that have really screwed it up? The MicroSd that came with the phone failed a while back and I had to use a smaller one which I kept after selling the phone hence it not having one.

I am worried as he is getting super pissed and is not believing me at all that the phone worked prior to shipping even though he saw pictures of me running it just before sending it.

Really need help on this.

EDIT: The only thing I can think of for the guy to do is a Factory Reset/ Wipe

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The sdcard had the rom and the recovery image. It may be best to send him to us. the middle man routine may cause more confusion. But he will probably have to boot into recovery, install a rom, wipe data and cache. Then once he boot back up he will need to install either dmupdater12 (for sprecovery) or rm (for clockwork recovery).

OP
A

alitke

Reaction score
Will do. Separate from him buying an SD is there anything he can do?

Will a wipe/factory reset get him going?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are vital start up files stored on an SD card, I am not even sure it is possible to succesfully run an Android Device without a card in place, after you removed the card did you test it and see if the device still worked properly ?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah he needs an sdcard. I was thinking he had a sdcard already.

OP
A

alitke

Reaction score
No it was a rush job because the SD card failed that was the reason I kept it. I had a 2gb in there but that was it when I had it and I took it out before shipping. Never thought it had anything major on it. I figured all important data was on the phone.

If he buys a random SD from walmart will it start or will he need the files from the SD?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would suggest maybe just spending the money one time and just get a 16 gb

OP
A

alitke

Reaction score
For him though will buying a cheap 2gb card work just to get it up and running? I am asking in terms of will he need to simply buy an SD Card and put it in the droid and it will boot up fine or does he need the recovery files and everything.

I copied all files from the SD before sending it is the reason. I do not want to give him any of my personal information but I want it up and running for him asap.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hear what you saying but he can get a 16gb sdcard from vzw or amazon and have in shipped in a few days. I would not want to pay 15 bucks for a 2 gb then turn around and still have to buy a 16gb.

OP
A

alitke

Reaction score
The Droid 1 will require a 16gb card? I am saying he will want to get it up and running as cheaply as possible. If he can spend $10 on a 4gb card that is what he is going to want to do.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
u can get it up and ruuning with a 2gb. sdcard

here is a list of 16 gb sdcards.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
link keeps messing up. Just search through amazon. They are only 20 bucks.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe any micro SD card will work, during start-up the system will write the critical files to the card, and after the "touch the android" process the card will have to be formatted by going into settings/sd card & phone storage/ select unmount SD card and then select format SD card and then remount SD card and all should be good

pc747 can probably confirm this

OP
A

alitke

Reaction score
Awesome. I just needed to confirm that buying an SD card and inserting it was enough. I did not want to tell him buy and SD and you are good and then find out that he needed the original files or something for it to properly start. Was not sure if the phone would write the critical files to function first or if it would need to have them on the phone before start up.

I will let him know as soon as I can get a hold of him and direct him this way if he has more questions.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
He will need more then a 2gb sdcard. The 2gb is to allow him to "verify" he has a decent droid. I would highly SUGGEST he buy at least an 8gb sdcard. I personally would just get a 16gb, especially since it is rooted. He will need the space.