Totally confused on how to install a ROM

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Gorf, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Gorf

Gorf New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bet I have tried and failed to install a new ROM on my Motorola Droid a dozen times tonight, and now I sit with a rooted 2.0.1 phone and just can't get any further.

I had previously rooted the phone and installed Bugless Beast 2.1. However I dropped my phone and Verizon has kindly provided me a new one. So now I am back to square one.

I dare say the thousands of walk-throughs and multitude of slightly-different-then-that-other-one files to download is starting to really give me a headache. So I appeal to my fellow droiders.

I would love to slip Bugless Beast 2.2 on, and I downloaded the file from here but when I went to run a nandroid restore of that file, nandroid threw an Error 25 on me which I believe indicates something about too many directory levels. The contents of the unzipped file is definitely different then other ones. The Bugless Beast 2.1 package had only a boot.img and a couple tar files. The zip file from that 2.2 link has a deep directory structure (the boot.img is still at the root).

Can anyone help me? I'm totally lost and my eyes are sore from reading. haha I'm hoping that somewhere I missed a how-to that explains all this.

2. jatx2wne

jatx2wne Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the file is an update.zip so you don't have to unzip it. Simply download the file rename to update.zip and put it on the root of your sdcard boot into recovery choose install update.zip then choose allow update then install and you should be good to go.
    Edit...you are probably going to wasn't to completely wipe the phone since you are going from 2.01 to 2.2 since you atte using sp recovery you would have to use adb to do this or you get clockwork recovery through rom manager in the market and in the partitions menu there are options to wipe everything

3. Gorf

Gorf New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oooooooohhhh yep that did the trick. Sheesh I knew I was missing something simple.

Thanks mate!