Total confusion

Capeman1846

Reaction score
Hi.

I am totally cell-phone illiterate but feel I need to have a decent phone which will last me a few years at least. I am retired and cannot afford and do not want to buy, any telephone contract since I hardly ever use my phone. However, I do need one for emergencies which do occur in my life due to an elderly partner and an even older mother, who lives overseas. I also travel overseas annually to visit her and find this chopping and changing of cell phones very annoying. Just buying a SIM card over there is so much easier and cheaper. I currently run a Tracfone ZTE but do not understand how to really use it. I struggled to even find the message sending me the code to sign on to this website!! Tracfone is also limiting because I discovered, after purchasing the phone and a years supply of calls (I hate having to renew and roll over every month), that Tracfone does not permit one to text overseas, which was one of the main reason for me getting the phone. I was furious to say the least. I live on the east coast and during outages which can leave us without power for a week at a time, I need to be in contact with my mother, and the only way is through the cell phone. After great trial and error, I did discover that I could send an e-mail over the phone!! Also, the previous smart phone I had from Tracfone would not allow me to download any web pages, so that supposed advantage of getting information at one's fingertips, was useless. Everytime I called them I just received a "shrug of the shoulders" sort of response.

I then decided that it would be much cheaper and more practical for me to buy a factory unlocked smart phone and started the research online. I have checked most of the popular ones, LG G2, Apple iPhone, Galaxy, Sony Xperia Z2 and the Google Nexus 5. After many months of total confusion I have come to believe that the Google Nexus 5 could be the one for me based on service and price (a little high but I had to be open to accept more than I wanted to pay). When I research, I do ask questions from Google search and as you all know, there are many people out there offering wonderful advice and help. Just when I was coming to a decision, I discovered that there have been problems with Nexus 5's GPS connection which has stumped me again since I don't understand the technical explanations and advice from all you very knowledgeable people out there. During my search today I came across this website and was relieved to find that no one was asking huge fees for answers to my basic questions.

All I want to know is whether Google has resolved their GPS problem with their Nexus 5 phones?

By the way, I have settled for Android, firstly since I cannot afford Apple, and secondly, my partner has an Apple computer and I find it impossible to use after years of having PC's. I now have a Sony All-In-One PC.

Thanking you for your attention.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
:welcome: to the forum. Hang around & one of our members should be along to help. We have a few that use phones overseas

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
All I want to know is whether Google has resolved their GPS problem with their Nexus 5 phone?

I am currently using a Nexus 5 and I do not have problems with my GPS. I also did not buy my Nexus 5 immediately when it came out. I bought a red Nexus 5, though I do not know if they changed the parts inside to fix a GPS issue.

That being said, my Nexus 5 works great. I have no trouble with it.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum.
In my opinion if the LG G2 is in your price range, I would opt for that one. Members her say it's a great phone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
I'm very satisfied with my G2. Excellent battery life, excellent reception, easy to use for a novice, very fast processing, good call quality and volume (both speaker and speakerphone). It's got a huge screen without having to hold a huge phone.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum...