Toshiba Outs More Details for Their Android Tablet, The 'Thrive'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
toshiba-thrive.jpg

Recently, Philip Osako, Director of Product Marketing at Toshiba, gave a demonstration of their hotly anticipated Android tablet, called 'Thrive.' First of all, the most exciting info was that the new tablet will be available for pre-order starting June 13 at all major retail outlets. It will be priced competitively, with an 8GB model for $429, a 16GB Model for $479, and a 32BG version for $579.

From Mr. Osako, we find out that Toshiba wanted to create a product that is the perfect melding of ideas from laptops and smartphones. They wanted the 'Thrive' to appeal to either user, and provide enough functionality to appeal to a wide variety of customers. By designing the device from the ground-up with this in mind, it comes with a dizzying array of features and functions. For example, it will come in customizable colors, has multiple elements of inter-connectivity for ease-of-use, and will have a multitude of accessories available at launch. (You can check out a bunch more pics at the source link below). Here's a breakdown of everything including the full specs on the device:
'Thrive' - Android Tablet Specs:
  • 10.1" display (1280×800)
  • NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core processor
  • 2.0MP front-facing webcam
  • 5.0 MP rear camera with autofocus
  • Stereo speakers
  • USB, mini-USB, and HDMI ports
  • SD card reader
  • Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity
  • Gyroscope, Accelerometer, e-Compass, GPS and Ambient Light
  • Screen rotation lock switch
  • User-replaceable battery
  • Interchangeable rubber back plate, available in a variety of colors (each costs $19.99)
Additional Notable Features and Options:
  • Operating System on Launch – Honeycomb 3.1
  • 6 different color back plates – Ships with Black, but also has Blue, Purple, Silver, Green, and Pink, all available for $19.99 each
  • User Replaceable Battery is $89.99, that comes in a size of 2030mAh and a tested runtime of 7 hours continuous HD playback
  • Quick charge technology for 90% charge after 1.5 hours
  • Toshiba Built Applications – Toshiba File Manager, Toshiba Media Player
  • Preinstalled Apps – Printer Sharing, LogMeIn, Need for Speed, QuickOffice
  • 2 Docks, one with power and audio for $39, and the other for power, audio, USB, and HDMI for $59.
It's reedonkulous how many additional features and accessories this baby is going to have available! It was a nice touch on Toshiba's part to want to cover every base they could imagine. It looks like the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer might have some serious competition!

toshiba-thrive_BACK_LFT_V_thumb.jpg
toshiba-thrive_Colors_thumb.jpg

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidPolice

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
This is looking better and better to me.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Then that makes me the kid from the "Emperor's New Clothes." I'm just not seeing it. I'm seeing a tablet that is nearly matched feature-for-feature with the $400 16GB Transformer. The only major difference I can spot is the USB port...and maybe the full-size SD card slot. The accessories...meh. User-replaced battery?...meh...nobody will want this tab after 2 years of ownership (almost guaranteed it will look ridiculously obsolete in 2 years).

At the moment, I don't think that justifies an additional $80, plus as the tablet market continues to flood, it's likely we'll see sub-$400 on the Transformer by late summer.

-Matt

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Then that makes me the kid from the "Emperor's New Clothes." I'm just not seeing it. I'm seeing a tablet that is nearly matched feature-for-feature with the $400 16GB Transformer. The only major difference I can spot is the USB port...and maybe the full-size SD card slot. The accessories...meh. User-replaced battery?...meh...nobody will want this tab after 2 years of ownership (almost guaranteed it will look ridiculously obsolete in 2 years).

At the moment, I don't think that justifies an additional $80, plus as the tablet market continues to flood, it's likely we'll see sub-$400 on the Transformer by late summer.

-Matt

Everything you mentioned are big features for some people. I used the full-sized USB port on my G Tablet all the time for flash drives, and I don't want a tablet without one. That's the biggest feature for me. A full-sized SD card slot is definitely a welcomed addition since it allows the use of full-sized cards and micro cards. I have several extra full-sized SD cards laying around from cameras that have been replaced with larger capacity ones, so this will put them to great use. And a user-replaceable battery is a godsend for people who are out and about away from an electrical plug for substantial amounts of time. Each of those is a major feature in my mind. The quick charge could be nice too.

Now all that remains to be seen before I make a purchase is the in-use screen quality and real world battery life.

mach330

Reaction score
I do like the ports like the acer. I'm curious on how heavy it feels.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Everything you mentioned are big features for some people. I used the full-sized USB port on my G Tablet all the time for flash drives, and I don't want a tablet without one. That's the biggest feature for me. A full-sized SD card slot is definitely a welcomed addition since it allows the use of full-sized cards and micro cards. I have several extra full-sized SD cards laying around from cameras that have been replaced with larger capacity ones, so this will put them to great use. And a user-replaceable battery is a godsend for people who are out and about away from an electrical plug for substantial amounts of time. Each of those is a major feature in my mind. The quick charge could be nice too.
You're absolutely right, and I'm sorry for the narrow-minded view. In particular, swapping batteries is something that didn't even occur to me (I'm usually plugged in). Of course I have a second battery for my OG and use it when I travel...doh! :icon_eek:

-Matt

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
This will probably be the one I get, too.
SDHC slots, and normal USB slot? Been waiting for that.
Although I have not heard of this Transformer.
/off to Google...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I do like the ports like the acer. I'm curious on how heavy it feels.

Engadget said it feels surprisingly good and not too heavy in their initial hands on that they posted yesterday. They're usually pretty hard on that kind of stuff, especially given that it seems like they're in bed with Apple most of the time.

And I forgot to mention how nice a full-size HDMI port will be too. If does full mirroring, that will be great.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Normal USB slot is a big deal because of the accessory options (USB Host, etc.) that Honeycomb 3.1 brings.

Brandon

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
FWIW - Acer Iconia 16GB @ $410

Following up on my earlier comment about prices coming down in a crowded market, I just noticed a price drop on the 10" Acer Iconia:

A500-10S16U/XE.H60PN.002 Acer Iconia TAB A500-10S16U 10.1 inch NVIDIA Tegra 250/ 1GB/ 16GB/ Android 3.0 Honeycomb Tablet Computer(Silver) - Tablets - SuperBiiz.com
$49 price drop. SuperBiiz has the Acer Iconia A500-10S16U 10" Android 3.0 16GB Tablet on for $420 - $10 off with coupon code THANKSPOP [Exp 6/13] = $410 with free shipping. Features the new Android 3.0 Honeycomb OS. [Compare]

NVIDIA Tegra 2 1GHz dual-core CPU, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC
NVIDIA GeForce graphics, USB port, 802.11b/g/n, 8-hour battery
-Matt