Torn Between 2 Phones

tmal2

Reaction score
I have an original Droid that I'm happy with but with all the new offerings out there I am in the market for a new phone since I have a new every 2 burning a hole in my pocket and a $50 coupon towards the purchase of a smartphone that expires in 12 days.

My 2 choices are the DroidX or the Samsung Fascinate and I'm really torn about which one to get. I'm aware of the physical differences between the 2 (bigger screen on the DX, higher display quality on the Fascinate etc.......) and also know about the search differences. I would prefer Google but could probably live with Bing.

I prefer the software of the DX but I'm not sure about it's size. To me it feels just a little too big while the Fascinate really feels great in my hand and has a real polished/finished look to it. The camera on the Fascinate is also much faster than the Droid which is a plus.

One other thing to factor in is that my wife could use (but does not need) a new phone and if I go with the Fascinate I can get a free phone( she just wants a dumb phone) for her too saving me between $50-100.

My third option is to just keep using my droid and sit on my new every 2 to see whats coming down the line in the future. I'll just lose my $50 in store coupon.

If you had to choose between these 2 phones which would you choose and why? I can get either for $50 after all rebates so price is not a consideration

Thanks for the input.

bwhite757

Reaction score
I prefer the software of the DX but I'm not sure about it's size. To me it feels just a little too big while the Fascinate really feels great in my hand and has a real polished/finished look to it. The camera on the Fascinate is also much faster than the Droid which is a plus.

One other thing to factor in is that my wife could use (but does not need) a new phone and if I go with the Fascinate I can get a free phone( she just wants a dumb phone) for her too saving me between $50-100.

My third option is to just keep using my droid and sit on my new every 2 to see whats coming down the line in the future. I'll just lose my $50 in store coupon.

To me you just answered your own question with your statement.

I too was sitting on a new every two discount and also had the D1. I originally placed the order for the DX online before news of the Fascinate dropping came out. I cancelled my DX order for the Fascinate. I'm glad I did. I like the DX, however for me it's just a tad to big for a phone, and the ones I've played with I just didn't feel very confortable when I was using it as a phone.

The Fascinate is amazingly light, and of course I see mixed reviews on the screen, but I absolutely love the Fascinate's screen. Text is sharp, and colors are amazing..

There's always the Root-factor. Most Galaxy S phones are rooted within 24 hours, so I'm anxious to see how fast the Facinate is done.

You can always wait and see what the future brings, but it's just an undeniable fact that as soon as you do decide to buy, your phone will be outdated...

Don't forget, you always have the VZW 30-day exchange period if you decide the one you get is not for you!!

OP
T

tmal2

Reaction score

To me you just answered your own question with your statement.

I too was sitting on a new every two discount and also had the D1. I originally placed the order for the DX online before news of the Fascinate dropping came out. I cancelled my DX order for the Fascinate. I'm glad I did. I like the DX, however for me it's just a tad to big for a phone, and the ones I've played with I just didn't feel very confortable when I was using it as a phone.

The Fascinate is amazingly light, and of course I see mixed reviews on the screen, but I absolutely love the Fascinate's screen. Text is sharp, and colors are amazing..

There's always the Root-factor. Most Galaxy S phones are rooted within 24 hours, so I'm anxious to see how fast the Facinate is done.

You can always wait and see what the future brings, but it's just an undeniable fact that as soon as you do decide to buy, your phone will be outdated...

Don't forget, you always have the VZW 30-day exchange period if you decide the one you get is not for you!!

Thanks for the input bwhite. I appreciate it.

Since you already have your fascinate can you confirm for me whether or not bing maps/directions has voice directions and if it does, does it speak street names.

I've got the bing app on my Droid1 and it does not speak the directions.

Thanks

bwhite757

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure, I downloaded Google Maps as soon as I got the phone. Haven't tried Bing! lol

epic_engineering

Reaction score
Same here as soon as I got mine I downloaded goolge maps.. The GPS is slower to connect that the droids. Once it connects it good though..

If you read my other post about the Droid2 Vs Droid X vs Fascinate it might help. If you have questions post them. I'll answer them if I can.

mrdroid

Reaction score
I was leaning toward the X but after some thought figured it would never be in stock again so I just picked up the Fascinate about 4 hours ago... former D1 user. I love it so far.

A few things that bug me though.... GPS sucks, the volume rocker feels loose, and I feel like the phone is a bit delicate. I dropped my D1 all the time and that thing was a tank.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Opinion...Stick with Moto and grab the X

Better yet, put the upgrade on hold and wait until the first quarter of 2011

OP
T

tmal2

Reaction score

What do you think is gonna happen in the first quarter next year?

dricacho

Reaction score
I've been waiting patiently with my Storm 1. It's an annoying POS and has to be rebooted multiple times a day because it runs out of memory all the time even after running memory cleaner and killing tasks all the time. I'm eligible for an early upgrade, I will be eligible for new every 2 in 6 months. I'm not sure what to do. I know there are better upcoming phones with over 1ghz processor and LTE capability, perhaps as early as EOY. So as much as I really like the Fascinate, I'm leaning a bit towards waiting.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMO the smart choice is to wait, the end of the year should bring some nice toys

mrdroid

Reaction score

There is really no point in waiting. It could be months or never before you can actually get a Droid X. Every week or so they push back the availability date.