1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Took The Plunge!!!

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by EARL97850, Jul 7, 2011.

1. EARL97850

EARL97850 New Member

I ordered both my wife and I the charge tonight from VZW. I should have them on Friday, so I guess I'll find out real quick if I made a mistake or not.

I think I'll like it just fine. There is no 4g in my area and probably wont be for quite some time but I'll be visiting 4g areas from time to time. I'm just hoping that the conectivity issues are resolved or soon will be.

Cya
  2. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

The charge is great phone. Best 4G phone on Verizon by far because its battery life slaps the thunderbolt upside the head. The inc2 is the best phone on Verizon imo though. The extra RAM makes a huge difference.

Sent from my Droid Bionic
  3. mamawm

mamawm New Member

you'll love it. put that display together with the battery life and it equals a great phone.
  4. EARL97850

EARL97850 New Member

Thank you both for the kind reassurance. I tried to do a thorough research on the phones offered out there...I'll have to admit though that I really did consider the the iPhone but in the end the Android won my loyalty as it has for years so far.

Cya
  5. djsbad

djsbad New Member

We bought the iphone back in february. I hated it because of all the awesome features of the android based phones. Android has a FAR superior product IMHO. As for the Samsung Charge, you hit the ball out of the ballpark with that one! By far, I feel it is the best android phone on the market and I LOVE it! 4g service, insane battery life, BEAUTIFUL display, and oh yeah, android.

But most importantly, the droid charge has the coolest of the droid eyes on the market. Uh huh. Yep. Thats right! When buying a phone, we all know that the droid eye is the whole reason we even buy a phone and the Droid Charge has the best one!
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. brad92

brad92 New Member

Apple hardware is pretty quality IMO. The software just gimps it

SkyNet Liberty AOSP
  7. EARL97850

EARL97850 New Member

I kinda felt the same way towards the iPhone too. I'm pretty sure I'm keeping this fast sucker. Now all I have to do is figure out how to root it so I can make it SCREAM. I'm in a 4g area right now and all I can say is HOLY CRAP this thing flies.

Cya
  8. Down2Earth

Down2Earth New Member

I'd argue that the Charge is a pretty good phone with *some*
    great features....one of them being the 4.3 SA LED screen...

-Lack of notification LED is pre nextel if you ask me...
    -Build quality is very lightweight (a plus) but plastic (a con)
    -Unless you've got a grade A microfiber cloth around...beware of scratches
    -get a case for both...there are gaps in between the screen and phone.
    -RAM offering is just as crap as Motorola's and even worse because
    -only 328MB are free, not 512...weaksauce...
    -1GHz is a nice speed, but is slower than the Snapdragon...
    -Having HDMI out and the ability to play any A/V format is awesome...

Touch wiz isn't as bad as people say it is.
    On my phone it's lag free, but I don't have 100 apps installed either.

Calls come out pretty clean but don't expect them to be very loud...
    The speakerphone is below average as compared to other phones
    namely the Thunderbolt's...

Zero reboot issues on my Charge.
    Wondering if I should hold onto it or take it back...

One more thing to add: you will/may experience intermittent signal loss.
    It's almost certainly not the phone but be sure when you test it out.

4G is new. Don't expect it to be ready to work 24/7
    Other than that, enjoy your phone!
  9. EARL97850

EARL97850 New Member

Thank you for your response.

You make some really great points. I too am not 100% sure I'm keeping it either.

I'm hoping that the Bionic is released within my return window so I can put that in the consideration process.

Decisions...Decisions!!!

Cya
  10. Schoat333

Schoat333 New Member

My wife has a fascinate, and we absolutely hated it when we first bought it. It had bing loaded all over it, and TW was buggy. Once I loooked into rooting and custom roms, I started to like it more than my OG droid. Once we customized the fascinate, we both really liked it.

Samsungs have to be the some of the easiest phones to root. Thats why I decided to get the charge. There are already gingerbread leaks that are rooted and easy to flash. I put debloated version on mine a few days ago, and it has been perfect. Netflix streaming is amazing.
  11. countrygirl23

countrygirl23 New Member

Like what djsbad said who is my husband we both got the Iphone because I use the Ipod touch daily for my Nike + etc and thought how nice to have it all in 1. I was wrong. Don't get me wrong Iphone is a good phone but not for my need or usage. I really love the flash and the widgets.

When I go in for my surgery I don't want to have to lug my laptop to the hospital for a 3 day stay and have the Iphone with no flash. Now that I have the Droid charge I can use it for everything in my 3 day or so stay.

You will not be fooled by the Charge it is a sweet phone, very light weight which I love. I wear a leather pouch while I work and I don't even feel the phone at all on my hip, with the Iphone I feel it without the Otterbox case and using the otterbox case tends to drag your belt down a bit.
  12. mamawm

mamawm New Member

Good luck with your surgery, I pray all goes well for you.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  13. EARL97850

EARL97850 New Member

Hope all goes well with the hospital stay.

The longer I have the charge the more I like it. The only thing that might change my mind would be the release of the Motorola Bionic. If it releases before my 14 day return policy expires I might be tempted. We'll see.

Cya
  14. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

the iphone slaps both upside the head for battery but I don't own it...no one here does. Ram, memory, processor, sense, build quality...these are things that make the charge second place lte phone.

I personally like the incredible 2 as a 3g only phone. If there was no 4g in my area I'd go for that most likely.
  15. EARL97850

EARL97850 New Member

Speaking of ram & memory...why does it seem to be running on 3/4 full? I routinely check and make sure no programs are running and also clear the memory, but it still hovering around 200-225...what's going on?

My wife loves her charge and while I'll have to admit I like it too...the battery issue concerns me.

On an iPhone after you jailbreak it they have a whole separate app store that specializes in jail broke iPhones...is there a market that specializes in rooted android phones?

I'm thinking I need to learn a little about rooting a charge so I can make a really informed decision of weather or not to keep the charge.

Cya
  16. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

No different market for rooted users, for the most part, only apps available to your device show up in the market. While we can go to 3rd party places for apps rooted or stock. As far as my jailbroken iPod touch, its crap compared to my rooted Droid. And I don't like to steal from the developers which is what the jailbroken apple market is doing.
  17. EARL97850

EARL97850 New Member

That's a good point about stealing from the developers.

I really am thinking I should root my charge to really see if I want to keep it or not. If I root and freeze all the bloatware from running in the background does it increase battery life that much?

Cya
  18. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

Ye actually they had but it crashed recently.
  19. rbess1965

rbess1965 New Member

For battery life, try turning off Google Location Services or at least make sure Latitude is not running. If you don’t want to do that, at minimum, remove any widgets that use location services like weather or ‘Rate this place’ or at least make sure they are not automatically using it to locate your position. Use your zip code or something. I make sure all 3 location services are off and only enable one when I run something that asks for it.

Apparently people knew about this issue long before it hit the smart phone market. http://gigaom.com/mobile/google-latitude-will-it-kill-your-phones-battery/

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Mobile/thread?tid=6bcdbe3c9425039c&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Mobile/thread?tid=65078e909326f3e6&hl=en

Also turn off Background Data in Sync. Unfortunately that is what puts the ‘smart’ in smart phone because it sync’s everything and makes everything run automatically which in turn is one of the main reasons these phones drain batteries faster than a non smart phone. So if you can find a balance between having automatic email notices and better battery life, then maybe this will help a bit.

I’ve had my Droid Charge for about 2 months now and personally, I was averaging 11-12 hours of basic use which I thought was good. I turned off my Google Location Services for the first time, deactivated the Background Data, took the unit off the charger at 6:30pm and found myself looking at 24% battery left after 22hrs.

I use ‘My Profiles Lite’ to have one touch controls for Home, Car, Work & Night modes. Works great. If you try other apps that do this automatically, catch22, they require location services to sense where you are.
  20. EARL97850

EARL97850 New Member

I tried some of those things to help battery life but every time I check the ram usage it is running around 200-260 out of 328, and there is almost always 3-9 programs running in the background.

I've shut down everything before...I mean no location devices running at all and get about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hrs and I'm down to 20% battery left.

That is just crazy. IMO that is unacceptable.

I really think I should send this thing back and either get the Bionic when it comes out (assuming it has good battery life) or go to the iPhone when it's new model shows up.

Cya