Took the plunge on Apple

JeffDenver

Reaction score
What's I'm saying is that your assuming there is 4g almost everywhere.. there is probably 100millon+ people still without 4g capabilities.
I'd like to know the source for that. But even if true, that means that most people (2/3rds at least) in the US do have access to 4G. That is not a trivial percentage.

Slider11

Reaction score
JeffDenver said:
I'd like to know the source for that. But even if true, that means that most people (2/3rds at least) in the US do have access to 4G. That is not a trivial percentage.

Take a look at a coverage map.. the 4g does cover most of the east coast and partially the west coast.. but look at all the gaps and spaces in-between. A lot of little makes a lot

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So you are estimating based on a coverage map. Ok.

Surely you realize that the coverage map DOES cover all the densest population areas in the US. So the vast majority of people will have 4G coverage. Your 100+ million estimate is likely very wrong. In Colorado, I am unlikely to get 4G if I go camping, but if I am in denver or Colorado Springs or Ft Collins I always have it. If I am along the major highways I always have it. I am guessing it is like that in every state. I know dozens of people with 4G phones and all of them get coverage.

In other words...it is likely that you are the exception, not the rule. Your opinion has to do with your carrier's crappy 4G coverage in your area and/or their dishonest advertising. It has nothing at all to do with your Android phone or Android in general.

Slider11

Reaction score
JeffDenver said:
So you are estimating based on a coverage map. Ok.

Surely you realize that the coverage map DOES cover all the densest population areas in the US. So the vast majority of people will have 4G coverage. Your 100+ million estimate is likely very wrong. In Colorado, I am unlikely to get 4G if I go camping, but if I am in denver or Colorado Springs or Ft Collins I always have it. If I am along the major highways I always have it. I am guessing it is like that in every state. I know dozens of people with 4G phones and all of them get coverage.

In other words...it is likely that you are the exception, not the rule. Your opinion has to do with your carrier's crappy 4G coverage in your area and/or their dishonest advertising. It has nothing at all to do with your Android phone or Android in general.

I agree with the end part. Verizon basically told us in Wyoming to go away, despite their huge "Rural America" lte push. Thanks verizon

JeffDenver

Reaction score
My roommate has AT&T for that reason...he has a cabin in Wyoming and gets better reception there.

Slider11

Reaction score
Verizon does have good service here.. its just that the rural America lte program was supposed to supply rural people that can't get better internet. For example I can't get cable or DSL. Only satellite and decent Verizon 3g where I live in Wyoming. Rural America basically ignored the most rural state of all.. Wyoming

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I live in Northern Kentucky (right by Cincinnati Ohio), and the 4g here is ok....

As for the IPhone debate, it is a good phone. Most of my family and friends have it. They do complain about the lack of customization for it but they all seem to be happy. In a Droid Forum, I would expect most people to believe the Droid is better! My first Droid was the X. I was moving from a BlackBerry and was torn between an Iphone or the X. The first few months with the X i loved it. Unfortunately I received a bad unit and from there I had to live in the Refurb wasteland for a few months. Verizon finally offered my an early upgrade and once again I had to decide between Iphone and Droid.... Then came the Razr! I absolutely love this phone!!! I don't think an Iphone could ever compare to my phone (I know, just my opinion), It never force closes, the battery does last all day (even though I would love to get my hands on a Maxx), and the talk quality is top notch. All that said, if my wife came to me and said she wanted to trade her phone for an Iphone I would let her do it!

JeffDenver

Reaction score
My battery lasts all day as well...I have gone 24 hours between charges before.

Since Android phones often have removable batteries, we have the option to install better batteries if we want. If my battery dies, I don't have to send it in for repair...I just buy a new one.

That is the common theme with Apple products...you are locked in. It is not merely a lack of customization, but a lack of options in general. I would feel like I was renting my phone from Apple if I had an iPhone.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
i must say. i had a droid x and now a bionic. just got into flashing on my bionic just to try new things get to play with my phone. neither phone was a garbage phone. my bionic has worked fantastic out of the box not one problem with data or anything. so if i every screw something up flashing i know i can go back to my solid stable phone. i also like that i can customize my phone. its not exactly like every other droid bionic.

OP
G

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Google books works better on Apple also. You can select text, translate or define the word. This option is not available on the Android version.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I thought we got past the whole "which is better" debate.
They are both good. Both have pros and cons.
I think the Android kicks the iPhones butt... but I still think the iPhone is a quality piece of merch. My wife not only has an iPhone but an iPad too.
It's all good. She likes it. I like mine.
What's the problem? Having both is good. Having more is better (if WinMoby ever makes a dent).

THe one thing I cannot stand, though, is when Apple fanbois use this: "It just works!".
I don't even understand that. Never have. They've been saying it from the beginning.
The Android phones "just work" too.
You don't have to do anything special.

Hell before the 4s the Android phone "just worked" better.
Pre 4s: Order iPhone3, 3gs, 4. Unbox. Install iTunes. Connect to computer. Activate phone.
Use. (What genius at Apple thought this was a good idea.....).
That's 20 minutes minimum even on a fast computer.
That is "just working"?

Compared to, well...not just Android but every other phone on the planet?
Order phone. Phone arrives. Unbox. Dial *228.
Use.

Now in that example: Which just works better?

ronjon400

Reaction score
same here. wife got a Iphone 4s and i have the razr maxx. she loves it. but i love mine too! i work 14-16hour days sometimes so battery life is an important feature.....enter the maxx. hers is smooth, but mine lasts all day and then

some. different strokes for different folks. just like my miserable experience with that evo -4g with sprint. data hiccups and a phone with 4-6 hours of life. !!YUKK!!

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I thought we got past the whole "which is better" debate.
They are both good. Both have pros and cons.

That doesnt mean one is not better than the other.

The iPhone is only good if you can put up with it's limitations. And it has a lot of them. I can't think of anything the iPhone can do that Android phones can't also do, and usually better. By contrast, there are LOTS of things Android phones can do, even old ones, that the best iPhone still can't do.

The common response I get from Apple fans is "Yeah, the iPhone can't do [insert feature here], but I don't want/need/use that anyway".

Which is fine...you are willing to put up with those limitations. That doesn't mean they are not limitations. It just means you needs or expectations are low. If all you need is a pretty interface and very basic functions, and have deep pockets, the iPhone is a great phone. But obviously most people don't fit into that category.

OP
G

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
I honestly don't know that one is better than the other. There are enough pros and cons to both android and apple to put them on even ground from an unbiast opinion. however, I am quite biast about having control over my stuff. I don't like the fact that apple tells you what you like. Android fits me better, where apple fits my wife better. She couldn't figure out anything on my D1. When she got her I-thingy she took off like a rocket and had absolutely no problem navigating the menus, settings, downloading apps, etc. I like being able to personalise my phone so I'm sticking with android! Plus I like the bigger screens, and I just hate apple in general. As far as saying one is better than the other, I think that arguement could go on forever, and proly will.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Your wife should try an ICS device. Seriously. ICS fixes that stuff.

ICS is at least as big a jump as Froyo was IMO.