Took the plunge, noo-b just got "ROOTed"

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Teammudd, May 18, 2010.

1. Teammudd

Teammudd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i want to send a thanks to the great folks of the droid world. i followed this thread ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html ) watched the vids about 50 times, and even recovered from a typical noo-b oversight with no glitches.

the over sight was the naming of the ESE81 file to "update"..... yes i named it update.zip, and it ended up being update.zip.zip........ i should have checked the file name before trying the install but i didn't "file could not be found".... started over with a proper named file, and every thing went great! the only thing i wasn't sure about was after i installed ESE81 update, reactivated my phone, and lost all my apps...... well i just re-downloaded everything. now with titanium back up this saves the apps, AND the info as well correct (onto the SD card)?

now as far as the ROMs and THEMES, and clocking, ect....... i'm not a die hard theme guy, or have to have slick looking icons, i don't mind a lot of the stock features/looks. i'll take small steps, one thing at a time.

i'm running a 2.1 ROM with root, as for right now i do like it, no complaints, but i want to test and tune (ya might say).

here's a real quick question
    1) with ROM manager, there is a selection for "BACK UP CURRENT ROM" is this just a selection to back up the rom setting on the SD card? this doesn't have anything to do with the "nandroid back up" that i preformed durring the rooting process, does it?

here's the apps for "rooted" users i've added to the collection
    - Metamorph
    - ROM manager
    - Barnacle WiFi teather
    - Titanium Back up
    *i will be getting SetCPU here shortly!

thanks again for all the great info, and ANY advice is greatly appreciated!!

2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the REAL way to play with your phone man! To answer your question, there are 2 recoveries out there now (SP Recovery & Clockwork) and you can flash either within the ROM Manager, however that app requires you to have Clockwork to use its functions. So that setting that says "Backup my current rom" will create a Clockwork Restore point. Its kinda like SP Recovery Nandroids, but a little different.

Your first big lesson is CREATE BACKUPS BEFORE ANYTHING!

3. Teammudd

Teammudd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so i probably can go ahead and leave the nandroid back up in place for my "factory reset", and use the titanium backup for the apps and settings?

i still want to keep the factory rest "just in case" something craps out on me ya know.

and from what i've read, to do some clock testing, i won't need a complete new ROM, just a kernel setting correct?

4. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    You can install just a kernel to overclock and don't need to flash an entire rom. To clarify... SPRecovery can't flash a Clockwork backup and Clockwork can't restore a SPRecovery backup. If you are going to stick with Clockwork I'd do a backup with that. If you were to apply themes, kernels, etc it is a good idea to create some sort of recovery file in case things go sour on you. That way if you don't like the end results you can get back to safe ground easily. Most people probably don't make a recovery file before applying every single little theme change but if you start messing with various files sooner or later you might wish you had a recent copy to get back to. Glad the guide worked out good for you.

5. Teammudd

Teammudd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i didn't have much time to play around with it yesterday, school functions, t-ball games, whew......

but now i did some more checking...... on the new updated ROM manager, there is a option to
    - "FLASH ALTERNATIVE RECOVERY" (SPRecovery0.99.3b)
    *this will return me to stock 2.1 (correct?)

i hate to eat my words, BUT i may be reconsidering the whole "new ROM" thing....... i happened to catch a glimpse of AdamZ's smoked glass (in blue), and that looks KILLER!! i'm still doing what is recommended, reading, reading, reading.......

thanks again for all the advise, GREAT forum!

6. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Nope. SPRecovery is not stock. Recovery is stock. SPRecovery was modified by SirPsycho (that's where the SP in SPrecovery comes from) just for rooters to install custom roms and kernels. You can keep reading...but most of the stickies don't really tell you that. It comes from experience. LOL So while you read...keep flashing new roms. Then go back and read everything again...then flash more roms. It will start making sense eventually.

Oh...and make backups when things are working. Somehting you try may screw up and the easiest way back is to restore a full back up. To make a backup boot into recovery (hold the x key while powering up) and chose nandroid backup, =do a full backup...check each radio button...give it a name...back it up. It stores the backup on your sd card in a folder named nandroid. This is for SPRecovery. Clockwork has it's own backup but it will be similar.

Nate

7. Teammudd

Teammudd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, i got ya...... sorry i was over thinking (i think haha). i installed SPRecovery, then preformed a "simple nandroid" back up. this was prior to installing the stock 2.1 with root. so the last back up point was at that specific setting.

i have not preformed a back up since the stock 2.1 with root yet.

8. Teammudd

Teammudd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK i'm doing a back up.......

i have SPRecovery advanced back up running right now........

*EDIT: i did back up all my apps with titanium back up first. thought i'd throw that in there real quick *

#8 Teammudd, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  9. sruel3216

sruel3216 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    does this back up just contacts and settings?

10. drivinfocused

drivinfocused Member

Ratings:
    +3
    it will basically put the phone back to where it was, like a back up on a computer (since hte droid is a computer/phone) so yes settings to a point will be backed up..... im so ready to get a new rom, still trying to figure out which one i want......

11. sruel3216

sruel3216 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok cool i did that then

new problem. when i put the update.zip on my sd card and then went to install it it says, no such file or directory...dont know why. i followed the instructions EXACTLY i feel like

Video: Installing Stock 2.1 With Root Access | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

12. Teammudd

Teammudd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this is what i ran into as well. i am on windows vista, and vista automatically puts the ".zip" on the end of the file.... well i named mine "update.zip" which turned into "update.zip.zip when installed on the SD card. i went back and renamed it "UPDATE" and when installed on the SD card then it was "UPDATE.ZIP"......

hope that might have helped out some. that's the best noob advice i can give at this point HAHA!