Too Many Symbolic Links

crentist

Reaction score
I lost root while updating to the new tranquility and while going through the root process for Froyo I get to

- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su

and the response is cp: /system/bin/su: Too many symbolic links encountered

Is this perhaps because superuser is already installed on my phone? I appreciate anyone's suggestions on how to get past this.

malac0da13

Reaction score
Hey I registered because I just had this problem and could not for the life of me find the answer...Then I remembered when first updating to 2.2 via birdmans how-to you had to move su and busybox to /system/xbin/ so I tried copying them there and low and behold it worked.

randroid123

Reaction score
Hey I registered because I just had this problem and could not for the life of me find the answer...Then I remembered when first updating to 2.2 via birdmans how-to you had to move su and busybox to /system/xbin/ so I tried copying them there and low and behold it worked.

AHHHHH!!!! So at what point do we use xbin? when pushing su from the sd card to the bin... its to the xbin instead of the bin???? then we copy from the xbin to the bin after?

Please Help!!!!!

malac0da13

Reaction score
After you run the rageagainsthecage-arm5.bin and get root you then...
Code:
cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin/su
cp /sdcard/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
chomd 4755 /system/xbin/su
chomd 4755 /system/xbin/busybox
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

that should be it... hope that helps

randroid123

Reaction score
omg you are a pimp... got superuser access back doing this!!!! just cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin/su...
also when running the chmod 4755 line... replace bin with xbin

WOOT WOOT! can i still flash to my old nandroids from this or since its an upgraded froyo are the old ones useless now?!?!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea what he said. u need su in xbin to keep root and the chmod to keep processes running as a root user.

malac0da13

Reaction score
If you mean restoring backups that you previously made that would be kinda pointless of upgrading I think?...If I am understanding you right...

randroid123

Reaction score
yea i just kind of did the upgrade on a very cluttered nandroid (like themed with nex-theme, then black glass on top, with Tranquility which black glass seems to disagree with =/) I dunno I could go back and do the upgrade on a wyped unthemed just deodexed/flyx/tranquility rom... then have a fresh unthemed nandroid to start with on this upgrade... maybe reinstalling tranquilty right now will wype the themes... ill try now and let yah know!

malac0da13

Reaction score
Id say start with a fresh deodexed froyo then do tranquility then reget root and then theme. Probably make a backup after you reroot...

randroid123

Reaction score
worked like a charm ;)
Btw... Im running FlyX Final.1 and Tranquiliyu 1.0... its been very stable.

I tried 1.5 but I had issues with the calender... the error was supposedly fixed but I still cant add an event after installing 1.5 and manually syncing... then after trying the calender fix from tranquiliy 1.0 it does nothing =/ anyone else get this???

madAdam

Reaction score
After you run the rageagainsthecage-arm5.bin and get root you then...
Code:
cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin/su
cp /sdcard/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
chomd 4755 /system/xbin/su
chomd 4755 /system/xbin/busybox
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

that should be it... hope that helps

When I try "chomd 4755", I'm getting "chomd not found".

Do I copy to xbin immediately after getting root, without the initial "mount -o rw,remount -t..."?