Too many issues with RAZR?

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
Hey guys, let me start off by saying that I LOVE MY RAZR. I got it shortly after Christmas and it has been awesome....save for having to exchange it for a 3rd time. This past one lasted a little over a month before battery stopped charging. It has been 3 different issues but issues I shouldn't need to deal with. One was beeping when calling, another for screen going black, and then this battery issue. These aren't common issues but concern is growing. I have been getting certified ones, should I have pressed for a new one instead? Sorry to sound like a rant but it was more meant to see how other people are getting issues resolved. Tech support has been awesome btw.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

reallyneatgirl

Reaction score
Question, with the problems you have been having... are they on a stock Razr or have you rooted and modified in any way?

Last edited:
OP
SGTSCHU

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
Completely and utterly stock. Never had the urge or saw the need.

reallyneatgirl

Reaction score
Hrm, surprising then. I would press for a new one, personally. My fiance and I both have Razrs and have had no real issues not related to modding. Sorry I can't be more help!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey guys, let me start off by saying that I LOVE MY RAZR. I got it shortly after Christmas and it has been awesome....save for having to exchange it for a 3rd time. This past one lasted a little over a month before battery stopped charging. It has been 3 different issues but issues I shouldn't need to deal with. One was beeping when calling, another for screen going black, and then this battery issue. These aren't common issues but concern is growing. I have been getting certified ones, should I have pressed for a new one instead? Sorry to sound like a rant but it was more meant to see how other people are getting issues resolved. Tech support has been awesome btw.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

Not to imply that I doubt you, but when you say the battery stopped charging, what exactly are you doing when charging;

Are you using the OEM charger?
Is it the same one that came with your first phone?
Have you tried a different charger?
How do you charge, at night only or several times throughout the day?
Do you use the stock cable as well?
Do you charge with the phone powered on?
If so, do you leave the phone display on all night as an alarm clock?
Have you ever charged it while powered off?
What is the level of charge when the day starts (%)?
At what point (% of level) do you decide it requires charging?

There has to be a reasonable explanation for battery failure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Caesars

Reaction score
That's the problem once they put you in the refurb cycle:(

DROID RAZR MAXX

OP
SGTSCHU

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
Not to imply that I doubt you, but when you say the battery stopped charging, what exactly are you doing when charging;

Are you using the OEM charger?
Is it the same one that came with your first phone?
Have you tried a different charger?
How do you charge, at night only or several times throughout the day?
Do you use the stock cable as well?
Do you charge with the phone powered on?
If so, do you leave the phone display on all night as an alarm clock?
Have you ever charged it while powered off?
What is the level of charge when the day starts (%)?
At what point (% of level) do you decide it requires charging?

There has to be a reasonable explanation for battery failure.

To expand on the charging issue...charging stops at 70%, or at least display stops at 70%. The store says it needs to be charged...duh, but no issues came up. Troubleshot with Verizon tech and did all their steps. Factory resets, charge with phone on, charged with off, safe mode. After 8 hours of charging, registers 70%, once it hit 80%. Battery drains rather quickly but not surprized with 30% less battery. I tried routines and resets for the past week hoping it was a software issue that was causing it, no avail. Phone arrived to me updated and doesn't need an update. Talked to Motorola and they were a little help, they thought the battery was starting to fail, causing the phone to read a lower %.

Motorola is leaning towards a bad section of the battery , only 3/4 is good so only 3/4 gets charged. Can't charge the bad 1/4 of the battery so only gets the 70%.

I use the stock charger and cord, the one I got with original new phone in Dec.
I also tried wifes D2 charger/cord.
I typically only charge at night because it didnt usually drop below 40-50%. Here lately has had half the battery longevity as before and I stop using it around 40%.
DL'd a few battery widgets during this process and they all say the same 70%. Temp gets around 100 at most.
I have tried charging with the phone on as well as off.
I had a SA set to shut everything down but didn't put it back in after the first couple factory resets. I don't have screen on for anything.
Starts the day at 70%, which is the problem.
Usually it lasts til I get home and is still 40-50% when I plug it in but now gets lower to 30-40% before charge because of starting lower.

There must be a reason for the failure but I have ruled out some things. It is the 4th RAZR, same charger that came with original phone that charged the others fine. I don't mod and have done factory resets daily. Yes daily. I didn't add any apps back in to see if an app was triggering something. The only thing I had re-entered was gmail info. I can't come up with any pattern or change from previous RAZRs to this. This wasn't an isolated issue either, it hasn't charged up for the past 9 days. Yes, 9 days I have been trying to figure this out with Verizon and 2 calls from Motorola. Verizon sending another and should be here tomorrow, CLN. Couldn't convince them it warranted a new one.

I love my Razr and really enjoy her. I just want her to work.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your problems.
I must be really lucky as I am on my original RAZR and everything is working flawlessly.
After going through 4 of them, I think I would consider another phone.

OP
SGTSCHU

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
It would take alot to get me away from a RAZR. This is not enough. I can deal with some bugs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
SGTSCHU

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
Yup, trying #4, hope not a 5th.

What are the latest tips on breaking the battery in Fox?

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I thought by now most of us would have memorized it :)
No breaking in a battery
No calibrating a battery
You need to calibrate the battery meter:
Power off, charge fully to 100%, power on and normal use to 15%, power off and recharge 100%.
Do this every three to four months
Never let it die completely

All above info credited to FoxKat.....battery ninja. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I thought by now most of us would have memorized it :)
No breaking in a battery
No calibrating a battery
You need to calibrate the battery meter:
Power off, charge fully to 100%, power on and normal use to 15%, power off and recharge 100%.
Do this every three to four months
Never let it die completely

All above info credited to FoxKat.....battery ninja. :)

You make me so proud.

The fact is, a properly calibrated meter will show 100 percent on a fully charged battery even if the battery only has 50 percent of its original capacity. The OP'
problems are not a bad battery necessarily, but obviously an improperly calibrated meter.