Too many files = Phone Slow down

WestOkid

Reaction score
I upgraded my Razr from the 16gb SD that comes with the phone to a 32gb Sandisk to store the rest of my music "locally." Both are cards are class 4 so there should be no speed issues (please don't mention getting class > 4 because they are overkill and not relevant when reading from an android phone).

Prior to the SD upgrade the phone was buttery smooth. After the upgrade no change. Then I load a bunch of songs to the card and things begin to slow up dramatically. The gallery, the file manager, Quick Office, etc are all affected but the UI is not. Anything that requires reading the SD card is affected. Did I get a bad card or a bad load? I then follow standard operating procedure (demount-remount, reboot, erase, reformat, check errors, yadda yadda). The card seems fine on PC (15mg sustained read, 4mg sustained write). Yet every time I reload the songs the same thing happens. Slooow Razr. I then recall this happening on my HTC Tbolt. Hmmm. I decide to go back to the 16gb card and load 4000 songs to the stock 16gb card. Razr is slow. Hmmm! I reduce to 3000 songs. Razr is fast again. Put back in the new 32gb card and load only 3000 songs. Razr is fast again. I could be off, but I have come to the conclusion that this must be an issue with how the phone or Android caches the directory structure. Meaning it has nothing to do with the size of card or used space. It seems to be the size of the directory (Number of directories, sub-directories, files and length of names) that is causing the slow down.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Kimo91

Reaction score
I haven't experienced this issue yet but then again I don't have 3000+ songs on my memory card either lol. But what I do is every now and then I would move downloaded files from the internal memory to the memory card and notice my Razr run a tad bit faster so that may be your issue but I'm in no means a phone expert just what I'm learning on my own :)

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I have 1551 songs about 8.5GBs worth on my SD card and I have no slow down what so ever. Not sure if doubling that would make a difference or not, but does not seem that it would.

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
You guys are not reading my entry. It is not an issue of size it is about directory entries. Also I already said it doesn't happen when I had 3000? Why would anyone with less than that comment on my issue.
BTW. I am a developer (not android) so I know this matters when it comes to index size etc. Will someone with similar experience or technical knowledge please chime in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kimo91

Reaction score
My bad oh exalted one I'll make sure never to chime in on your most advanced technical issuers on your hand held device

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
I apologize. I'm not looking to come off like an pompous. It's that I went out of my way to verify it only happens with larger directories.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well then it seems like you solved your own problem before even posting this. If you actually have some sort of "need" to have 4000 songs on your phone why don't you use Motocast or a similar program.

jrpbulk

Reaction score
Well you are coming off as a *****

many of us on here are engineers software, hardware, network, and devs, like me. None of us are perfect.

I do think you may be hitting areas where file mgt and data queries, data mgt, are not optimized. Each new iteration of super phones reveals new issues.

Maybe you could do some testing and document the data and submit it here or at the moto user forum. They would love that feed back

I apologize. I'm not looking to come off like an pompous. It's that I went out of my way to verify it only happens with larger directories.

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
I said I wanted the files "locally". I do not have an unlimited account so I don't want to have to watch byte count every month. I guess I can live with what I have. I just thought there may be a work around. I may go over to the XDA geeks.

210droid

Reaction score
Yeah...they're geekier. Maybe that will help

xXxDroidRazR210

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
CRAP! 3000?!?! LOL Seems a tad overkill.

But regardless, do you have less than 20,000? Google Music let's upload up to 20,000 songs for free, and you can stream them to your phone with the Google music app.

I did hear once something about Motorola's MyMusic causing slowdowns with too many files. Maybe on the Bionic? I don't know if there was a setting there you could change to help.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
CRAP! 3000?!?! LOL Seems a tad overkill.

But regardless, do you have less than 20,000? Google Music let's upload up to 20,000 songs for free, and you can stream them to your phone with the Google music app. -EDIT- You already said you don't have an unlimited data plan so scratch that idea.

I did hear once something about Motorola's MyMusic causing slowdowns with too many files. Maybe on the Bionic? I don't know if there was a setting there you could change to help.

MsterKush

Reaction score
Who actually listens to 3,000 songs at one time? Just grumpy "devs".

I only keep a few artists on my phone (so a few hundred songs) and rest is synced on Google Music.