Too Late for a X?

Reaction score
I'm eligible for an upgrade as of yesterday, I wanna get the Thunderbolt, but who knows at this point what's going on with that...depends on pricing and stuff, If I decide to get the X (which was my original choice before I read about the Tbolt) on a 2 yr contract, do you think that would be a terrible idea?

A quick background before you say im stupid for doing that...this would be my first smartphone, I more than likely won't be using it like 80% of the people here do, I just want it so I can get the internet wherever I am, check my emails and play with the apps, I have no plans to root til about after year 1

Also, I don't have 4G in my area (prob won't til 2012 or 2013), so that's not an issue

Last edited:
Reaction score
The X has been a tremendously good phone for me. I was unrooted until recently and loved it nonetheless. Personally, I'm excited about the upcoming phones and their potential. I would probably hold out for the next wave (X2 perhaps). With that being said, it would be hard to resist getting my hand on an X.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The X is a really nice phone, if i hadn't had the droid 1 i most likely would have gotten the X. Though at this point the X 2 will be coming out, but then again who knows when that will be also. If you were looking at the thunderbolt, I would wait for that, it should be a really good phone, with good tech inside. I know that it doesn't have a set in stone date, and people have been throwing around numbers left and right as to it's release date, but give it a week or two and see if they finally give a set in stone release date.

Reaction score
if the x sounds like the phone for you, i would say go for it. i've learned from experience that there is always something better and faster on the horizon. even before i rooted and rom'd mine, i felt like this was the best phone i ever owned. i even got a few friends to buy it and they have no regrets (and they use theirs more like you plan on using it)

OP
S
Reaction score
The X is a really nice phone, if i hadn't had the droid 1 i most likely would have gotten the X. Though at this point the X 2 will be coming out, but then again who knows when that will be also. If you were looking at the thunderbolt, I would wait for that, it should be a really good phone, with good tech inside. I know that it doesn't have a set in stone date, and people have been throwing around numbers left and right as to it's release date, but give it a week or two and see if they finally give a set in stone release date.

yea, its not just the date, i can wait a few weeks, but it's the unknown data pricing that has me concerned...

thanks for some of the responses guys

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I had the same dilemma so I bought a used X on ebay using paypal (for the buyer protection). That way I have the best phone out right now to play with for a while and still have my upgrade in my back pocket.

mikex

Reaction score
If you buy a phone off ebay or somewhere, do you have to get the data plan? Or when your contact expires can you ditch it? I had the iphone and talked em out of it and just used wifi.

debrad0307

Reaction score
I'm eligible for an upgrade as of yesterday, I wanna get the Thunderbolt, but who knows at this point what's going on with that...depends on pricing and stuff, If I decide to get the X (which was my original choice before I read about the Tbolt) on a 2 yr contract, do you think that would be a terrible idea?

A quick background before you say im stupid for doing that...this would be my first smartphone, I more than likely won't be using it like 80% of the people here do, I just want it so I can get the internet wherever I am, check my emails and play with the apps, I have no plans to root til about after year 1

Also, I don't have 4G in my area (prob won't til 2012 or 2013), so that's not an issue

well i was exactly the same way before i bought my droid x. i was stuck with a palm pixi, that i rooted, overclocked and changed kernels on. then, my b/f got me the droid. i HATED it. the first droid was soo horrid. it was slow, i couldn't use the keyboard and the screen was WAY too small. for me, it was between the incredible and the DX. i got the DX because, like you, i wanted to just check my e-mails and play with some apps. i didn't get the HTC because it left a bad impression when i checked it out at the store. I have had my DX since december, swearing that i wouls never root my phone and leave it bone stock... Guess What? i rooted it, overclocked it, and installed all the cool little apps that will work with rooted DX's. although, i have yet to install a custom rom, i do have ADW launcher and made my own themes. you'll love this phone. the palm was my frist smart phone, and i thought it was the greatest thing in the world... until the DX. :)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
If you buy a phone off ebay or somewhere, do you have to get the data plan? Or when your contact expires can you ditch it? I had the iphone and talked em out of it and just used wifi.

I have it and I'm sure it is policy for Verizon. But maybe you could keep calling customer svs and try to get out of it! Doesnt hurt to try!