Too hot to handle?

matt2783

Reaction score
I am still wondering, is this acceptable? I mean, for me to use this phone for it's purpose, and in that it is ruining my phone/battery. To me, that just doesn't make much sense.

I think it's completely unacceptable. I've had my Droid 1 for 17 months and never had any problems like that. I use navigation a lot too. I would guess that there is something defective with you're phone.

You've had the problem on and off the dock, right?

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
I think I will do a factory reset, and try it running stock without anything added to the phone.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I don't know. I live in Louisiana and I've run the navigator with the top down for about an hour and a half and have had no problems. I would agree with turning down the brightness and checking for something else running in the backround.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

Last edited:

snipes1003

Reaction score
I've been having this problem where it starts discharging even when plugged in during extended navigation. I'm about to go on a 3 hour road trip. I use a vent mount. My current plan is to take off the battery cover, and also implement a profile in d2 overclock where the frequency drops once the temperature goes above 50C (although I believe this is the CPU temperature and not the battery temp, someone confirm?) I also typically use pandora or another audio app while driving. I will report back on my findings!

bplewis24

Reaction score
Too hot to handle, too cold to hold, call the ghostbusters and they're in control!

[video=youtube;UhoU7lINYxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhoU7lINYxk&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Ghostbusters II -- Bobby Brown -- (On Our Own) 1989‬‏[/video]

Snow02

Reaction score
I've been having this problem where it starts discharging even when plugged in during extended navigation. I'm about to go on a 3 hour road trip. I use a vent mount. My current plan is to take off the battery cover, and also implement a profile in d2 overclock where the frequency drops once the temperature goes above 50C (although I believe this is the CPU temperature and not the battery temp, someone confirm?) I also typically use pandora or another audio app while driving. I will report back on my findings!

It's the battery temp. That's the only temp sensor in the phone.

snipes1003

Reaction score
During my drive today, I found one solution to the problem to be to just downclock the phone while it is in the charger (my clocks are 300 Mhz/15 vsel, 723 Mhz/36, 994 Mhz/50, and 1265 Mhz/65, I found setting the frequency b/w the 300 Mhz and 723 Mhz while being charged/using navigation/pandora prevented the discharge problem, also I'm using the smartass governor but idk if that makes a difference). Having the battery cover off had no noticeable effect. Causing it to downclock only after reaching 50C/122F also didn't help b/c the phone still got too hot (maybe making the temperature threshold lower would do the trick, I noticed that discharge problems occurred after going over 43C/110F on my hardware, it seems to take a while to cool off even if you downclock after a temperature trigger so the best bet seems to keep it at low frequencies/temps). Anyway even at those relatively low clocks navigation/pandora (running simultaneously) did not lag (I remember my Droid 1 stock max clock was 600Mhz so that makes sense). Hopefully there is a solution for those who are not rooted (water cooling should work ;) ) :icon_ banana: