Told Rebate was invalid

cpinto

Reaction score
This is more of a Verizon question, but since we are Verizon users I suppose it's OK.

Bought my Droid at a Verizon Store on January 27, 2010.

The cost was $299 - $100 rebate as advertised on the website and explained to me in the store.

They printed all the documentation for me, and I mailed it in.

Today I get a card that says my rebate was invalid due to the purchase date.

Has anyone run into this? Called customer service, and they were of no help.

Called the store, got just a recorder, and no return call.

I'll be stopping by the store later, but wondering if any one else has any thoughts on this.

Craig

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is more of a Verizon question, but since we are Verizon users I suppose it's OK.

Bought my Droid at a Verizon Store on January 27, 2010.

The cost was $299 - $100 rebate as advertised on the website and explained to me in the store.

They printed all the documentation for me, and I mailed it in.

Today I get a card that says my rebate was invalid due to the purchase date.

Has anyone run into this? Called customer service, and they were of no help.

Called the store, got just a recorder, and no return call.

I'll be stopping by the store later, but wondering if any one else has any thoughts on this.

Craig

Because I bought a Storm 2 originally I thought I had a 100.00 rebate on my Droid as well. Turned out there was a rebate available at time of purchase but they didn't give me the rebate forms. It took one call and a long transfer, but after reviewing my account they decided to just credit me 100.00.

If you did buy during the rebate period, I'd call customer service again and explain your story. If that rep doesn't help tell them you want to escalate the issue to someone above them. You may have to push a bit but you should get the 100.00 refund like I did.

brianr0131

Reaction score
Go return it TODAY. It's your 30th day. After they reinstate your "2 year upgrade eligibility" order it from the VZW Website for 199.....or go to Sears or somewhere else online and you can find it as low as $50.

You may incur a $35 restocking fee, not sure there.

I don't recommend ever going to the store to buy. I always order online. When I do so and I have issues I can always get the phone replaced with a phone call as opposed to a trip to the store to "prove" my issue to an often clueless "tech". Also, when ordering online you get the rebate instantly.

Sorry for your issue. I bet if you scream enough they'll just credit the $100 to your account. Make it clear to them over the phone that you plan on returning the phone TODAY if they don't resolve your issue NOW.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
$hlT I haven't mailed in my rebate yet Jan11th was my 30 days I need to get on this asap..

I'll be pissed of I have to do a long dance with these people to get my money.. I held out because I wanted to make sure I was going to keep the droid now that I am a solid droid owner I want my money.

-=Jason=-

bloodstains

Reaction score
Haha I got mine in December and forgot to mail in the rebate as well. When is the last day to mail it in? With my luck I'm assuming it was a few days ago?

nerdbox08

Reaction score
$hlT I haven't mailed in my rebate yet Nov 11th was my 30 days I need to get on this asap..

I'll be pissed of I have to do a long dance with these people to get my money.. I held out because I wanted to make sure I was going to keep the droid now that I am a solid droid owner I want my money.

-=Jason=-

Dude, it's been like 1 year and you didn't think about it until today? *sarcasm*

That's just ... dumb. If you wanted 'your' money that badly you would have been on the ball with it instead of just now thinking of it when someone else brought it up.

Reaction score
my rebate paperwork said the 22nd of this month....

Forgot to mail it in?? That's a $100.00 "epic-fail"...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
This is why i take my rebate forms to a corp store and talk to customer service. 10mins and it's credited to my account.

cuskit

Reaction score
$hlT I haven't mailed in my rebate yet Nov 11th was my 30 days I need to get on this asap..

-=Jason=-
Jason - are you mixed up on your dates? The Droid was released on Nov 6. No way your 30 days could only be Nov 11... I got mine on Nov 22 - they gave me more than 30 days to return it, my last day was sometime early February. I'm not sure what my last day was for the rebate - but I did send that within the 30 day period - got the Visa debit card a week later.

If you mean you bought the phone on Nov 11, I'm betting you lost your rebate now. Sorry if that's the case. All these companies that issue rebates count on consumers not filing in time, or not sending back the proper paperwork. I saw headlines time back that unclaimed rebates account for millions of dollars each year. So - in your case it's now millions plus $100.00 ;) Joking of course! But a C-note is a lot to lose in today's economy!

You can try - talk to a supervisor - push it up the ladder. Worth the hassle if you can still get it.

In your court - mike :)

nerdbox08 - "sarcasm" is really not appreciated nor appropriate on these forums. I'm also kind of wondering where you get "it's been like 1 year" from?

ytwokc5

Reaction score
Go return it TODAY. It's your 30th day. After they reinstate your "2 year upgrade eligibility" order it from the VZW Website for 199.....or go to Sears or somewhere else online and you can find it as low as $50.

You may incur a $35 restocking fee, not sure there.

I don't recommend ever going to the store to buy. I always order online. When I do so and I have issues I can always get the phone replaced with a phone call as opposed to a trip to the store to "prove" my issue to an often clueless "tech". Also, when ordering online you get the rebate instantly.

Sorry for your issue. I bet if you scream enough they'll just credit the $100 to your account. Make it clear to them over the phone that you plan on returning the phone TODAY if they don't resolve your issue NOW.

He can't. When you cut the barcode off the box to send in for your rebate, you can't return the phone. That stinks. I had no problem getting 3 Verizon rebates processed and the Visa cards sent to me. I did send them in within a couple of weeks of purchase though.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
nerdbox08 - "sarcasm" is really not appreciated nor appropriate on these forums.

Then I hope you go back over every other thread with sarcasm and make sure to chastise those people too, don't forget mods and admins while you're at it.

:)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
my rebate paperwork said the 22nd of this month....
Forgot to mail it in?? That's a $100.00 "epic-fail"...

-=Jason=-

This is why companies like rebates and gift cards. Even some in the OP's position end up not bothering and lose out too. I'm not saying they reject all of them but I also don't think they make it super easy too.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's been like 1 year and you didn't think about it until today? *sarcasm*

That's just ... dumb. If you wanted 'your' money that badly you would have been on the ball with it instead of just now thinking of it when someone else brought it up.
messed the date up I bought it Jan 11th.
I have a life, family ,new baby son, work, etc some things do slip my mind.... I don't' NEED that $100 for anything, but its entitled to me so yes I do WANT it.
Jason - are you mixed up on your dates? The Droid was released on Nov 6. No way your 30 days could only be Nov 11... I got mine on Nov 22 - they gave me more than 30 days to return it, my last day was sometime early February. I'm not sure what my last day was for the rebate - but I did send that within the 30 day period - got the Visa debit card a week later.

If you mean you bought the phone on Nov 11, I'm betting you lost your rebate now. Sorry if that's the case. All these companies that issue rebates count on consumers not filing in time, or not sending back the proper paperwork. I saw headlines time back that unclaimed rebates account for millions of dollars each year. So - in your case it's now millions plus $100.00 ;) Joking of course! But a C-note is a lot to lose in today's economy!

You can try - talk to a supervisor - push it up the ladder. Worth the hassle if you can still get it.

In your court - mike :)

nerdbox08 - "sarcasm" is really not appreciated nor appropriate on these forums.
yeah Mike I messed my dates up im about 45 days or so of owning the droid so im gonna set a reminder to cut the UPC off the box and mail that sucker in.

-=Jason=-

OP
C

cpinto

Reaction score
REBATE UPDATE:

I finally dug up a number to call directly to the rebate center. They explained that the form I had gotten from the Verizon store was outdated.

Quite often during busy periods the stores will preprint the rebate forms. It just so happened that I had gotten an old form with an invalid rebate period on it.

After calling, they just corrected it over the phone and my $100 is in the mail.