today's visit to a vzw store

rcblate

Reaction score
Upset to find out that vxw is now charging an upgrade fee of 30 bucks when u get the discounted phone. Really"

marleyinoc

Reaction score
Smartphones introduced a ton of issues they didn't have to deal with before. That's the line, anyway. There's usually 1 or 2 people out of a handful that are really helpful when you call--if that charge means the number of useful folks go up then I guess it's worth it...

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 4

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They always did as far as I know. Most of the time they just waive the fee on your bill, but I found out they didn't for me this time.

OP
R

rcblate

Reaction score
Smart phones should make the process easier than ever to activate a phone. My nonic came from Costco 2 years ago and I was in/out of there in no time. I think this is a money grab. Just frustrating to be charged something just because. If we received some tangible product/service for that then OK. But at least give me the option to spend the money!
Living to another carrier does not solve the issue b/c they all charge an activation fee. Oh well.....

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi that AT&T does the same, a one time fee. But they call it a transfer fee or something like that.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This new "feature" started being enforced around April of 2012. I upgraded my daughter's phone, Best Buy waived the fee for me, Verizon added it back onto my bill a couple of months later. Line in sand was drawn for me at that point. Share everything crossed the line, I'm leaving Verizon after my contract is up after being a 20 year customer as of August 8th. My oldest daughter's line comes up in December. If I've got to pay $120 to activate new phones on all 4 lines it's going to be with someone else.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the "upgrade fee" is an arbitrary money grab, too. A made up fee--and the amount was just pulled out of someone's [hee haw] in finance or marketing. What's especially galling is that we can't do anything--at all--about it. In fact, VZW, or any other carrier, can add any new fee at any time for any (or no) reason, and we'd have to pay it.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yeah, I think the "upgrade fee" is an arbitrary money grab, too. A made up fee--and the amount was just pulled out of someone's [hee haw] in finance or marketing. What's especially galling is that we can't do anything--at all--about it. In fact, VZW, or any other carrier, can add any new fee at any time for any (or no) reason, and we'd have to pay it.

Yea, I'd like to see the total that this new "fee" has brought in alone. :censored: Please Google, start a wireless service..the people need you!