To write a Term Paper or To Root, that is thy question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Pagaldesi4life, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Pagaldesi4life

Pagaldesi4life New Member

After reading dozens of threads about rooting in the past few days, I am finally going to give it a shot. Sorry term paper, but rooting won this round. I have a terrible case of procrastination, terrible indeed! :icon_ devil:

So wish me luck..

I think the vast amount of information out there has me confused, but there are a lot of great guides for first timers so hopefully I won't get lost. What it comes down for me is choosing which rom to use, there are quite a few. I think Bugless Beasts seems to be the popular one. I guess any questions I have about my journey I'll ask here.
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Welcome to my life for the last 2 months, but replace term paper with Masters Thesis.
  3. Pagaldesi4life

im working on my masters as well, have to write a business plan..oh the joy and excitement it brings me.
  4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Yeah mine sucks too, but it's over now. One more 1pg document, a bit of printing, and I never have to be in school again. 18.5 years in school when you've only been on the planet for 23 years is enough for me.
  5. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

I hate to break it to you...but if you did enough research and you have the proper walk throughs...you can have it rooted w recovery and busybox and on a ROM in less then 30 mins.

Def not enough time to properly procrastinate on your paper. :)
  6. Pagaldesi4life

7. Pagaldesi4life

jb..i like to taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake my time haha
  8. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

you could root in 2 minutes... you could do everything and write your paper during load time between ROMs etc... multi-task young grasshopper
  9. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

rootyourdroid.info is the best place to start.

As for ROMs...once you have the recovery loaded...you can swap between any
    ROM at any time. In some cases...you have to wipe all data and use a program like titanium backup to restore the important data....but that is usually only when going from 2.0.1 to 2.1 or vice versa.

I just tried the bugless beast v.6 2.1 ESE53 base rom. It is fantastic...and I agree with those who say there is no reason to try anything 2.0.1 based or ESE25 based. Since you are just starting...I understand you probably want to try a bunch of different ROMs. Just read all instructions twice...and ALWAYS create nandroid backups before you do anything.
  10. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

I'm having to make a similar decision. Study for final or install ultimate 6.5. I kno it only takes 30 mins to install rom, but once I install it then I am going to want to play with it and then no studying would get done.
  11. Pagaldesi4life

ahhh school, the root of all evil! thanks jb for the tip. im actually against trying all the roms out there, i might stick with BB for now.
  12. Pagaldesi4life

That was one question I had, when I wipe all my data, everything is gone, messages, apps, settings, etc. If I used titanium backup, will it restore EVERYTHING or just partial data?
  13. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Your google account is what stores contacts, email, calender info, paid apps....all you need to back up are your current non-paid apps. Settings will need to be refigured, but that's nothing lol

And why are you against trying all ROMs? Trust me, BB is definitely not the only good one out there...in fact there are way more better ones IMO
  14. Pagaldesi4life

ill eventuall give majority of the roms a try once i do more researching
  15. Pagaldesi4life

so i finally rooted my droid, followed all the directions to the T. i installed petes bb 2.1 ese53 v0.7 rom and it worked well. i then tried to install one of chevys kernals, the 10 slot 1.2ghz one and followed thier directions as well. when it came time to rebooting, the phone was stuck at the motorola logo, so i went to restore the previous settings, etc, etc and tried installing the 10 slot 1.25ghz and i still got the same problem. so i thought let me go a little in speed and went with the 5 slot 1ghz kernal and STILL had the same problem.

am i doing something wrong?

what i do to install the kernal is to reboot into sprecovery, make an advanced backup, wipe data & cache, go to install, install update.zip, reboot and then my problem starts.

are there other OC kernals out there other than chevys?