To wifi or not wifi?

Imatlkr

Reaction score
I have been reading lots of issues with battery life and many address the use of wifi connections. My question is why woul I ever want to use the wifi. It will be slower than my device in 4g and I have the unlimited data package. So I assume I should just turn it off. Am I missing something? Is there a reason I should use wifi that I am unaware of?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
WiFi is actually faster than 4G. Well, let me rephrase that. WiFi on a broadband connection (cable or better) will be fast than 4G, as cable internet has way faster latency/ping times than 4G does. Sure, the throughput might be higher on 4G, but its all about how long its takes to send and receive that request for a connection and the data. High through put just allows for more to be downloaded at the same time, but if you don't have a quick response time, then its just not quick. Make sense?

Do a speed test on WiFi and then on 4G. Which ever has the lowest ping is usually what's going to be fast, unless the throughput on WiFi is 2-4Mbps or slower.

My WiFi is almost always below 15ms in latency, where as my 4G is always around 75~100ms. My WiFi is ~15Mbps (with several other PC's and cell phones) and 4G is usually 35~40Mbps. My WiFi browses and downloads faster. And probably will until you gets down to about 4~5Mbps is when you will probably notice a difference between the two.

If your WiFi is on DSL or anything else, then 4G it is.

I never use 4G. I am always within range of WiFi that is faster, so I turn off my 4G to 3G and just leave WiFi on, and it helps with my battery as well.

SO, it all just depends on what WiFi you have.

OP
Imatlkr

Imatlkr

Reaction score
Thanks then 4G It is for me since my wifi connection is the mobile hotspot I have with Verizon and it has not been upgraded to 4g yet. Also I work at a school where the wifi has a nanny blocker for everything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks then 4G It is for me since my wifi connection is the mobile hotspot I have with Verizon and it has not been upgraded to 4g yet. Also I work at a school where the wifi has a nanny blocker for everything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Haha, 4G it is then!

I also work at a school that uses OpenDNS, but I use SetDNS from the Market to change the DNS settings on the WiFi to use Google's servers. Win for me :D Must be rooted for app though.

droid7575

Reaction score
Can you tell me why my razr speed on my comcast n router has speeds 5 down and 5 up. But I go to my sisters who has a g router and I'm getting 15 down and 15 up? On my N router I have 25/5 and my sister has 15/5. I thought my razr had N capabilities with wifi.

helron

Reaction score
It would help you post the brand of both routers, and the ISP of both users.
I noticed a big difference in routers-ISP when in different places.