to update or not

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dabootsan, Sep 6, 2010.

1. dabootsan

dabootsan New Member

I am receiving a message that a system update is available. I am currently runnin BB. Should I run this update? Will it effect BB.

Thanks
    Rob
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

if you have a custom recovery it should make the install fail. but just to be on the safe side, make a backup first before installing it
  3. mentaloaf

mentaloaf New Member

I have bb0.4 and I accepted the update because it was annoying the f@#k out of me and it failed, now harm no foul!
  4. bikerdc17

bikerdc17 New Member

same thing here i'm rooted with bb. it keeps trying to update. i've accepted & denied but it reappears after a while any ideas on how to make this go away.
  5. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    If you are rooted and running an alternate recovery as Abe said the alternate recovery will block the OTA. Make a backup of your system (just in case) and then accept it and tell it to install. It will fail and then should go away.
  6. bikerdc17

bikerdc17 New Member

yeah i have done that multiple times (with-out the back up) but it still reoccurs.
  7. dlwhtrose

The other suggestion is to switch custom recovery. Which ever one you are running (CW or SPR) flash to the other and see if that stops the OTA notification. The OTA is blocked by the recovery not the rom from what I know so the issue is with the recovery you have installed, it is not blocking it for some reason. Once you flash a different recovery if you still get the OTA, try to install it and see if once it fails if it comes back. If it does then you may want to change roms just to see if that finally stops the OTA.
  8. bikerdc17

bikerdc17 New Member

yeah i have spr i will try that if it comes back again. thanks
  9. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

The recoveries block the OTA from installing....not from being pushed to you.

If your build.prop does not match the current build (frg22d) fingerprint......the OTA will continue to be pushed to you. Not immediately...but next week, the day after, 2 weeks from now, etc....

Recoveries only block the install of it, your build.prop fingerprint determines if you get it or not.
  10. dlwhtrose

I do not think that is completely true. As long as you are on a 2.2 rom you should be "up to date" for the OS. Both my husband's phone and mine are on 2.2 roms but not the FRG22D build and we have NOT gotten the OTA update notification.
  11. tcrews

Your build.prop fingerprint must match what is current or you will get the OTA. You don't have to be on the official ROM, but your ROM building must add the FRG22D fingerprint to the build.prop file.

Most ROM's do this (especially those built from source).
    Some ROM's don't (BB in particular as it uses whatever build.prop was current for whatever release it modified).

2.2 "official" versions are FRG01B and FRG22D. FRG22D is the latest version, if you don't match this, you will get the OTA for it and you won't be able to see Flash in the Market.
  12. dlwhtrose

Well I just checked both my husbands and my phone. The rom we both are running is a 2.2 but the build is FRF84B (which was one of the first 2.2s out). We have not gotten and do not plan to receive the OTA updates as our ROM and Recovery blocks them and we both have the market patch and we both have Flash 10.1 installed and can see it on the market.

So your theory of having to match the build number in order to stop the OTA notifications is incorrect.
  13. tcrews

Sorry, you are still incorrect. The build.prop must contain the fingerprint for FRG22D. This is not the same as the build.id which is what you see when you do "about phone" in the settings menu.

You also said you did the "market patch" which changes the build.prop file fingerprint.

And what I am saying is not a theory. Go compile a ROM and find out.
  14. dlwhtrose

Well I did not look in the "about phone" I went to the developer that created the ROM that I am using. The market hack was written to specifically trick the market. It in no way altered the build. There are others as well that are on much older roms that are also not getting the OTA. So again, in your situation you may need to have the build match in order to stop the OTA but not all roms/recovery work that way and continuing the argument here in the forums does not help anyone. Your disputes could and/or will only confuse others more if they do a search and read this thread.
  15. tcrews

"Tricks the market" it tricks the market into thinking it is a different build version by the fingerprint in the build.prop file.

Do this...open up the build.prop file from system direcotyr and see what it says for the fingerprint....it should look something like this.

This is not "altering the build", this is altering a file named build.prop which the "market patch/trick/magic" does.

I think you need to go back and talk to your "developer"