To send in droid or not for keyboard

Katsun

Reaction score
Ok new problem...I've had my droid since february of and now I'm having small problems...one not so small is my physical keyboard. I received my new Droid with one of the standard bubble make not the flat make and now because of the constant use of the physical keyboard some words type twice...and my R,T, and A button are a couple uses away from coming off..

Question is will Verizon replace my droid??? For free??? Or is there any homeway to fix the constant bubbling over of the keyboar

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Katsun

Katsun

Reaction score
BUMP: can anyone help or am i just SOL

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I not sure how VZW will handle you issue. My sense is they will say it is normal wear. I am not aware of any fix for your issue.

Mike

MrCatPC

Reaction score
BUMP: can anyone help or am i just SOL

Just curious whether you pursued this under VZW for Motorola Warranty coverage or Asurion Insurance coverage?

I wouldn't say your SOL so much as DIY. I'm undertaking the keyboard replacement on my Droid R2D2 (special edition Motorola Droid 2) as a do-it-myself project mostly likely tonight. The part (reasonably priced) arrived today, which is just a keypad overlay that's glued to a pink EL film covering the keypad contacts. I'm using Droid 1 and Droid 2 teardown & repair guides found here and linked elsewhere from here, but per my recent post/edit in the R2D2 Owners Forum, I can try to give you further guidance if you're still having problems. My guess is you've moved on since August 2010 (call it a hunch!), so again, I say...

Just curious if you found any feasible coverage or if the issue is deemed "normal wear" for the flimsy keyboard+glue?

OP
Katsun

Katsun

Reaction score
It was under Asurion but when i took it to the store they were like thats strange becasue they knew of the keyboard ungluing itself issue but with how bad mines was they just called it user error. I lasted with that phone for ever but about earlier this year i upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus but still thanks for responding!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The keyboard replacement on the D2 is really simple. I did it about six months ago, and it's still flawless.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
UrbanBounca said:
The keyboard replacement on the D2 is really simple. I did it about six months ago, and it's still flawless.

I took my time getting all the black glue stripped off the pink ELF under the old keypad, also took some pics along the way, and yes: surprisingly easy replacement. Original keypad had clear "ribs" on underside, but this OEM replacement keypad is so nice & smooth in the sliding panel. So far, loving it. If anyone wants an R2-D2 flavored tutorial, I'll post one, but for now album is public in my profile. Thanks for the response, too!